The AEW Wednesday Night Dynamite Thread

MPDTT

• Paid Members
49 minutes ago, Vamp said:

Like, if WWE offered me Christian vs. Matt in 2021 I wouldn't be surprised, but I'd still think "fuck right off." When AEW does it I think "fuck right off" and "seriously, that's your alternative?" 

The match wasn't half bad though and had a solid build up. Both Matt and Christian have been good in AEW so far for the most part and have a lot of goodwill from the fans. Personally I found the match to be a fun novelty, especially as it'll probably never happen again. I hope we get Christian vs Jericho one last time at some point too.

1 hour ago, Vamp said:

The thing that drives me up the wall with AEW is when they do things that are bad when WWE do them. Like, if WWE offered me Christian vs. Matt in 2021 I wouldn't be surprised, but I'd still think "fuck right off." When AEW does it I think "fuck right off" and "seriously, that's your alternative?" 

I think it has to be viewed in context.

If it happened in WWE it would be happening on shows where they already have rematches every week. The product is very stale in a lot of places.

In AEW its surrounded by a lot of fresh matches and a good energy and always in front of crowds that are genuinely enjoying the product they're watching.

So yeah is it an ideal 2021 match? Probably not. But as its a small percentage of their overall product, its not nearly as much of an issue. People don't think AEW is perfect but the things worth criticising don't feel as big a deal.

• Paid Members

It's also not just Christian and Matt Hardy, and us being expected to care because they've done it before. It's tied into a whole bunch of other stuff - Hardy's got his group, and his logic and reason for being pissed off at Christian makes sense. Meanwhile, everyone's expecting Christian to turn on Jungle Boy sooner or later, so there's storylines going on there too. And it's tied in with multi-man matches, angles, etc. So there's plenty of smoke and mirrors around the Matt Hardy/Christian feud, and the assumption is that it's going to lead to something that's more about getting Jurassic Express over.

That makes it all easier to enjoy 'oh hey, these guys are still pretty good at what they do'. The nostalgia element isn't the main part of it - it's just one of the ingredients. And it was in the midcard, where it should be. And they're being portrayed as 'hey, they can still go' rather than 'THEY'RE BETTER THAN THEY EVER HAVE BEEN', while we can all see that Matt Hardy's legs no longer bend.

• Paid Members

Absolutely no issues with Matt Hardy and Christian rekindling a twenty year old feud to have a fun little midcard legends match in a completely new environment. Built up to where it feels like it means something, where the crowd go crazy for both guys, and where the solid work they deliver feels completely novel in that it’s nothing like the other matches on the show? Completely acceptable. Utterly convinced AEW could do Ziggler v. Kofi and make it feel fresh.

1 hour ago, Vamp said:

Been watching the first night of Fyter Fest. 

Can't believe in 2021 they got away with Hardy vs Christian. Fully expected the fans to audibly groan. 

Then again the same fans chanted "this is awesome" for a match where two wrestlers nearly fucked up a hip toss (I'm not asking for the return of "you fucked up" chants but fuck off was the FTW match "awesome"). 

Also, I know that Jake Roberts is a bit of a rambling mess but fuck letting Archer talk. 

Props for doing a deliciously lame backstage wrestling segment between Jericho, MJF and Shawn Speares though. People underestimate the joy of lame backstage wrestling segments. The show needs more people trying to act surprised as someone who's clearly been in the room all along comes into shot and less people I haven't given a toss about for 10 years wrestling against each other in meaningless matches. 

The thing that drives me up the wall with AEW is when they do things that are bad when WWE do them. Like, if WWE offered me Christian vs. Matt in 2021 I wouldn't be surprised, but I'd still think "fuck right off." When AEW does it I think "fuck right off" and "seriously, that's your alternative?" 

I have no idea how you watched that show and had seemingly no good positives coming out of it. They fucked up a hip toss so they deserved fuck all? What a miserable take on literally everything. 

• Paid Members
Posted (edited)

I’ll wait and see, maybe they’ve got a good idea, but if they’ve changed the Hangman storyline because Punk and Danielson are coming in then everyone can fuck off forever. I was absolutely convinced he was kicking out of the One Winged Angel. Such a weird decision to have him lose.

Otherwise though, this is the maddest, most enjoyable pro-wrestling show there’s ever been. EWR on steroids. Kenny Omega and the Young Bucks in the opener, Darby Allin, accompanied by Sting, calling out CM Punk, Tanahashi sending in a promo, Taz dancing, Nick Gage main eventing with light tubes and a pizza cutter and then a closing angle leading to Juventud Guerrera next week. Absolutely bonkers.

Remember when someone said they should just sack Colt if Punk is coming in and they’ve still got heat?Bollocks to that. Colt’s part of the best act in all of wrestling right now. THE LADS. What an entrance!

ECE6CF5C-4D7B-43D4-8E55-BC1710D2EA5C.thumb.jpeg.bd69111323ca36d36609d1eb3530b872.jpeg

Edited by Supremo

*With the opener, honestly 'wait and see', some of the absolutely mental reactions I've seen are just what you expect.

*We've had promotions just give us mostly misery booking for years, a lot of the reactions are playing into that. 

*Hangman wanted a title shot. All Out was NEVER mentioned, just the next shot, now he doesn't get the next shot.

*They have 40 days till the PPV and they have a new secondary show launching in two weeks. They have a lot of TV time for this.

*He's still taking Kenny's fucking head off at All Out.

• Paid Members

Absolutely wild show. That Dark Order entrance was beautiful and almost seemed wasted on a TV match they were going to lose. The Space Jam stuff felt a little backwards though but they were shithead enough to pull it off.

Nick Gage I'd be happy never to see again, but it made for a great spectacle. Probably my least favourite hardcore-style match in AEW so far. All the brutality but Nick Gage has nothing going on. Took a while for the crowd to care about him either until Jericho was pissing blood.

It's 2021, on the cusp of a potential CM Punk and/or Daniel Bryan debut and they close the show with a tease for Juventud Guerrera. Nuts. I love it.

Posted (edited)

Normally I watch hour 1 of Dynamite live and the second hour the following evening.....no chance last night - I couldn't switch off. That was incredible from start to finish.

The opener was superb, the entrances felt like a massive deal. Silver looked like a star and I'm quite happy for Hangman's big win to be delayed (which I don't think will happen btw). I'd like them to go straight into the Punk /Omega fund the way Hogan went straight into a world title fued with Flair when he jumped to WCW in 1994. Won't happen though....Hangman rightly wins the gold at All Out. 

Speaking of which, they more or less confirmed CM Punk is coming in. Rampage in 3 weeks time at the United Centre? Alin's promo? That deal is done and will be an absolute game changer.

FTR / PP was great until the freak injury. Tanahashi on AEW! Jungle Boy still can't do any wrong. Great Cody / Black segment to hype next weeks main event......

.....then there was the main event - which blew my mind. Absolutely loved it! I never thought you'd see something like that on PPV, never mind free TV! OK, toned down from Gage's usual stuff, but I never thought Jericho would go for all the glass and never thought we would see light tubes on TV. Just a gruesome superb, engaging mess that adds so much to the story of what Jericho will go through to get to MJF. Gage gave a really good account of himself.

Just a couple of weeks away from AEW increasing their TV output by 50% and with the run they are on, I can't wait.

Edited by MPDTT

• Paid Members

I think that's a better show in front of a different crowd. I loved the ten man tag but there were a couple of spots, like the first tease of the buckshot and the first time Kenny and Hangman started scrapping where another crowd would have been wild for it. The chants for Little Johnny were great though, had me bursting with joy.

I also have enough faith in them to "wait and see" but, honestly, I was deflated by that finish. I want to see it so much.

The teases for Punk are insane. I still can't get my head around it.

Rest was hit and miss. FTR and P&P have fuck all chemistry. That six man a few weeks ago wasn't great and as much as I hoped that was just the other two guys, it wasn't. It just doesn't click at all. Ricky Starks' promo was dogshit. I like the "celebration" being really naff though, it should be. Mox talking about matches in Japan no-one will ever watch is a waste of him. Archer and the big lad wasn't good.

Main Event delivered what was promised without being too crazy. Fucking Juvi in 2021? Love it. Cody and Black was a good set up for next week. Britt Baker was back to her douchey best. Another great Miro promo. Nice little tease for Andrade/Pac. Fun Trios match. Good win for Rosa.

Overall, enjoyable but some of the shit in the middle needs to go.

I reckon they are keeping plans open in case they have to move All Out back to Dailys place.

If it's in Chicago, I reckon it will be Omega/Punk, if not it'll be Omega/Hangman.

As much as we all love Hangman and this incredible story they have played out with him and Omega, I reckon AEW see Punk winning the title in Chicago as to big a chance to turn down.

I mean I wouldn't do it, I'd have Darby and Punk start a little build on that Chicago Rampage for them to face off at the PPV, and keep the Omega/Hangman main event as it is.

I suppose the problem with that though is, Hangman will seem so second rate if he follows Punk on that Chicago PPV and I can see the crowd not really giving a shit.

Edited by The King of Old School