The AEW Wednesday Night Dynamite Thread

• Replies 7.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Right people, right time, just the wrong location.

Fucking hell who’s arsed. Let people get excited about things.

The Good Brothers are like a team of Christian and Matt Hardy. They both feel like the worst person in their team, it just happens to be the same team.

Posted Images

• Paid Members
4 hours ago, Chili said:

A Mustard Packet throwing contest has never been so oddly frustrating yet utterly compelling.

That contest was better then any match at Wrestlemania this year

• Paid Members

Something’s just occurred to me watching that incredible video for the second time.

That same scrub from last year, Kenny Omega? Mr. 50/50? The chump of the century? The disappointment to end all disappointments? 

I think he’s my wrestler of the year!

One thing I can't help thinking about - and I'd absolutely love to hear about in a shoot video or something one day - is just how much of AEW's booking really is long term and as designed, and how much of it has been a learning experience for them along the way, as well as adapting to things like fan feedback.

There's quite a few things that you look back at in hindsight and think they actually work quite well as part of a bigger picture, but at the time we were quite disappointed by.

I guess it'll be the same as any company - some situations more luck than judgement. But I do get the feeling that actually they enjoy winding together all these intricate storylines over time.

Omega's a perfect example. Where he is now is absolutely perfect and it feels all the more satisfying after what he was doing before it, and yet I've been quite vocal and disappointed about him before. Now not so much, and actually his journey has made what he's become now a lot more rewarding. But was that always his plan? I'd probably take all the credit and say yes if I were in his position.

4 hours ago, Supremo said:

This is spectacular. They should set aside thirteen minutes on Wednesday’s show to air this before the  match.

Whew! This feels big time! I can’t wait.

Somebody give that editor a raise.

Mox has been pretty much on top form, certainly on the mic, for his entire AEW run. His ability to hit a buzz phrase whilst still feeling spontaneous and natural is second to none. What that video does so brilliantly is pick out the key expressions in Omega that get drowned out amid the rest of his waffle, both in the ring and on the ring, that mean, for me at least, his angle work never has that punch, that feeling of a distinct moment or event happening, that is key to getting the thing over. That video highlights those critical points and cuts out the rambling, drifting promos and not-quite-doing-it moments, and it's no surprise he looks like a megastar. It's just a shame Mox looks like he'll be handing the belt not to a disgusting heel, but just a bit of a prick.

Edited by CavemanLynn

The main talking points from Tony Khan’s media call yesterday seem to be-

* he can’t comment on Brodie Lee not being on the show since early November but expects him back soon (Lee is rumoured to have been off due to a minor ankle injury) 

* Miro will be a top star in the company, but needs to go through a “rebuilding process”

* Dark is set to undergo changes, possibly being split into 2 different shows, one of which focuses on developmental while the other features more established stars

* When asked about the possibility of Trios Titles, Khan indicated they’re still thinking & talking about them, but it won’t happen until the second part of 2021 at the earliest (“I just want to get through 2020, I’d like to get to Beach Break and moving towards Revolution but I definitely think it’s something on my agenda”) 

28 minutes ago, WyattSheepMask said:

* Miro will be a top star in the company, but needs to go through a “rebuilding process”

I almost agree with him, but it's Rusev. This is a guy who everyone wanted pushed but wasn't. He has the fanbase there. People think he's good. They don't need to rebuild him or repackage him in some weird way and have him messing around like he is now.

If anything I'm less interested in him as the weeks go by, and surely that's exactly what they should be avoiding.

I've not given up on him, or AEW's booking of him long term, but it does feel very frustrating.

3 hours ago, DavidB6937 said:

I almost agree with him, but it's Rusev. This is a guy who everyone wanted pushed but wasn't. He has the fanbase there. People think he's good. They don't need to rebuild him or repackage him in some weird way and have him messing around like he is now.

That's not quite how he meant it, I don't think. He mentioned win/loss, the main event scene, current plans and how just throwing someone new into them affects a lot of things...

Miro needs to settle, pick up some wins, then take off and have that big main event push that everyone thought he should be having years ago. 

And Khan is right. You can't just change all of your plans because an ex-WWE guy who has a big following got released and signed for AEW. Give him his own AEW build, and make it fun. Ok, maybe the Kip stuff isn't the best right now, but at least he's there, and at least he has a chance of a big push. People are very impatient when it comes to wrestling nowadays (probably a result of WWE rushing to, and then repeating 400 times, every match).

41 minutes ago, iPumaPants said:

That's not quite how he meant it, I don't think. He mentioned win/loss, the main event scene, current plans and how just throwing someone new into them affects a lot of things...

Miro needs to settle, pick up some wins, then take off and have that big main event push that everyone thought he should be having years ago. 

And Khan is right. You can't just change all of your plans because an ex-WWE guy who has a big following got released and signed for AEW. Give him his own AEW build, and make it fun. Ok, maybe the Kip stuff isn't the best right now, but at least he's there, and at least he has a chance of a big push. People are very impatient when it comes to wrestling nowadays (probably a result of WWE rushing to, and then repeating 400 times, every match).

There's a middle ground for me. There aren't many things I'm too against - and I'm more than patient with a lot of stuff they do in AEW - but I've gone from being incredibly excited to see him get a chance there to .. not really caring if he's there each week or not. And that's something I never thought I'd feel, but there are so many better things going on in AEW right now. I know they can't push everyone but it's a little disappointing at the moment.

There's nothing wrong with slowly building someone or putting them in the background for a bit before pulling the trigger. The problem with Miro is that he's doing the worst shit imaginable in that company. Kip Sabian? Chuck Taylor? Having a childlike fit over an arcade machine? I like video games as much as anyone but I've got no idea who this appeals to. They're actively killing peoples interest in the guy.