The AEW Wednesday Night Dynamite Thread

15 minutes ago, cobra_gordo said:

Speaking of referencing things at the height of their popularity, why are they calling the episode with the Mox/ Omega match Winter Is Coming? 

Was confused by that as well but I think caught the commentators mentioning other shows so maybe a network thing or something. 

• Replies 6.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Right people, right time, just the wrong location.

Fucking hell who’s arsed. Let people get excited about things.

For a TV Guide photoshoot promoting a new wrestling show, this is what you want to see. Not you brothers wedding reception, like those cunts above. You're selling professional wrestling. Nothing else.

Posted Images

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, WyattSheepMask said:

oh, a Hangover pastiche, nothing quite like hitting these things at the height of their popularity. Vince would’ve been battered with the “out of touch old man” stick if a single second of that had been shown on WWE TV.

I don't feel like there's a time limit on parodying anything as long as it's funny. This was pretty funny. Vince would have been absolutely battered because if he had done this it would have been absolutely shite and unfunny in every possible way imaginable.

4 hours ago, Carbomb said:

I definitely see your point, and I agree that, in theory, a brand split should be possible with creative-enough thinking behind it. After all, it's simply another dimension via which to tell a wrestling story. But it's not just that WWE were shit at it because of Vince, but also because, any time any other companies with a budget and a profile have shown up and copied anything that WWE did, they tend to copy the same shit tendencies that made those concepts shit. The heel GM is a case in point.

Whilst AEW have demonstrated that they're both creative and adaptable, I don't imagine they'd execute a brand split any better than WWE did, partly down to trying to emulate them, and partly because I don't think even WWE really understood why they had the brand split in the first place.

Exactly that point too. I had it mind at the time I wrote my post out but obviously never got round to writing it down. And again, as I said I do not believe it's the correct avenue to go down anyway. But, yes, should they go down that route, to all and sundry it's another WWE rehash.

To slightly disagree again. Both occasions I listed had a reason, ones which I feel they genuinely recognised . 2002 version had the most bloated, top heavy, roster ever assembled. Everyone of name value was there (or came in not too long thereafter). And I forget the for instances but wasn't the 2016 one as some reason to establish original content for the network? I seem to recall something on those lines. I may have remembered incorrectly though. Albeit the shows being on that 4 week delay.

1 hour ago, LaGoosh said:

I don't feel like there's a time limit on parodying anything as long as it's funny. This was pretty funny. Vince would have been absolutely battered because if he had done this it would have been absolutely shite and unfunny in every possible way imaginable.

Yeah I really don't get the whole 'well that's an old reference' type thing. People quote old movies etc all the time, so as long as it's something funny and relevant and people get it then what's the problem?

And yes, AEW's humour is generally far more on point than whatever stupid shit Vince finds funny at the time.

• Paid Members

My guess is it's Page, trying to help out Omega and get back in with him and the Bucks.

I thought it was an ok show this week with good angles but the matches are still too long. For TV wrestling you have to really ask what the story/point of a match is then book it accordingly. Did Pac/Blade really need to be 10 minutes to tell that story or could it have been 5 minutes and done the exact same thing? If a match is long enough that it's split over an ad break maybe it's too long?! If AEW shaved off 4-5 minutes off most their TV matches it would benefit the matches massively and they would have time to include more stories/acts/angles/matches on their show. 

The NWA Women's title means more than the AEW one at this point.

If you're ending the show with a heel turn also why not do it so the babyface lose because of it, not after they've already lost. That's wrestling 101. Hobbs in Team Taz looks awesome though.

Omega looked the business in that suit/shades combo. Great promo from Mox too.

I get that they probably paid a small fortune for Miro so want to focus him but his Sabian/Best Friends stuff is total dogshit.

Everything with Kingston/Lucha Brothers/Pac was lovely. Hoping Penta turns on Fenix and rejoins Eddie soon.

Edited by LaGoosh
39 minutes ago, LaGoosh said:

The NWA Women's title means more than the AEW one at this point.

It's the one thing I find quite confusing about companies working together. You don't want 'your' talent to look weak. Yet generally I'd say the NWA ones have been showing up the majority of the AEW division for weeks now. Don't get me wrong, I'm actually really enjoying the NWA matches but it's just a bit strange.

2 hours ago, LaGoosh said:

My guess is it's Page, trying to help out Omega and get back in with him and the Bucks.

If it is Page, that'll be the stupidest booking decision in 2020 and that's something in a field including Evil winning the IWGP Title, Retribution and the Tucker heel turn

Edited by Tsurutagun