Jump to content

The AEW Wednesday Night Dynamite Thread


Recommended Posts

40 minutes ago, RedRooster said:

Brandi can be excellent on the mic and probably has it in her to be a good manager (perhaps a Nyla/Brandi partnership would have been more effective than Nyla/Vickie, for example) 

Their insistence on using her as an in ring talent is seriously detrimental to the AEW women's division and to her as a character. She's embarrassingly over-pushed. 

She really isn't, in the bigger picture. Don't get me wrong, she shouldn't be a wrestler at this stage, and their failed experiments does lend credenence, but she's only had four matches on Dynamite, and she's lost three of them. It could be significantly, significantly worse. To be honest, if they'd used her the same amount, but been less experimental and stuck to her best role - babyface backing up Cody and cutting those good sitdown interviews for videos and the occasional angle like with Anna Jay, it would have been fine. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 6.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Right people, right time, just the wrong location.

Fucking hell who’s arsed. Let people get excited about things.

For a TV Guide photoshoot promoting a new wrestling show, this is what you want to see. Not you brothers wedding reception, like those cunts above. You're selling professional wrestling. Nothing else.

Posted Images

Really enjoyable show overall. 

Using the NWA title match to start off an actual feud while just throwing together a random defence for Shida was peak AEW women's division. Got us some John Silver airtime though. 

Hopefully we get some shenanigans in that match as well. 

Oh god the tension any time Kingston is on commentary is insane.

Opening tag was fun. 

Pac Vs. Blade was too competitive for my tastes but enjoyable. 

Rosa is great. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Liam O'Rourke said:

She really isn't, in the bigger picture. Don't get me wrong, she shouldn't be a wrestler at this stage, and their failed experiments does lend credenence, but she's only had four matches on Dynamite, and she's lost three of them. It could be significantly, significantly worse. To be honest, if they'd used her the same amount, but been less experimental and stuck to her best role - babyface backing up Cody and cutting those good sitdown interviews for videos and the occasional angle like with Anna Jay, it would have been fine. 

It's not so much the win/loss record for me, it's the fact they seem to be throwing mud at the wall until something sticks as far as it goes with Brandi as an in ring competitor. They tried The Nightmare Collective, the tag team with Allie, the feud with Anna Jay, the angle with Jade Cargill, and outside of that she regularly accompanies Cody, Dustin and QT to the ring meaning it certainly feels like her presence on Dynamite has been disproportionate compared to other female wrestler. 

Not many female wrestlers have had as many high level angles as Brandi, and I'm not sure any of their Women's Champions have at all, the only person who comes close is Britt Baker and even her appearances on TV have been inconsistent. 

Don't get me wrong, Brandi isn't the biggest problem with AEW's women's division, but her role in it feels disproportionate to me.

I do agree that if they'd been sticking to her strengths and using her the same amount no one would be batting an eyelid. I also think she could be an excellent manager. The problem with the pairing with Kong was that the focus was very much on Brandi and not so much on Kong/Mel. She absolutely could be an asset to AEW, but as it stands she isn't at all.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/16/2020 at 2:56 PM, Carbomb said:

Brand splits are shit. WWE are the only promotion to have done them, and they've never really worked. 

I don't disagree with the sentiment that they've never really worked. That being said, when you have the mad scientist at the top who just constantly disregards stuff, more often than not for no other reason than he feels like it. It's hard to tell whether a true brand split would work or not. The few times they seemed to follow through with them (very first time in '02, again at the restart in '16), they did help more talent get exposure. Some failed, but others did flourish where they wouldn't have gotten a chance to otherwise.

My fear with AEW heading down that route is they are a young company. Other than the die hards that probably tune in every week, a new audience wouldn't be bothered with few recognisable faces. To a wider, casual audience you probably have Jericho, Moxley, Cody, Hardy who are faces you might know of. To then have to split that small percentage in two and thin out what star power (to a casual audience again mind, to those who have watched they have done a good job of establishing new names etc) they actually have. It's counter productive. For the record, I am not in favour of a brand split for this company.

Maybe there's a show that I'm not aware of, but they could really do with a recap type show (in the vain of your Saturday morning/afternoon WWE shows) to help bring that brand to more faces. Not just talking about kids either, talking about the dads who might have switched off years ago to never go back and watch along with their children. However, I would assume it's going to be given a prime time slot. And that, unfortunately, does not lend itself to a recap show.

I hope, I really do, that they don't run before they can walk. A few minor missteps along the way these last 18 months (which for the most part have been rectified) have been understandable given how new they are. But adding another prime time show which will over saturate their product ridiculous levels, could be a costly mistake that they may not be able to reverse.

One thing they could use Eric Bischoff for is to ask him not what to do, but what he wishes he didn't do or be forced to do 20 years ago. He's very vocal about the wrong decisions being made/dictated to him, so he should be able to identify those areas whereby history could be repeating itself.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Paid Members
36 minutes ago, Liam O'Rourke said:

She really isn't, in the bigger picture. Don't get me wrong, she shouldn't be a wrestler at this stage, and their failed experiments does lend credenence, but she's only had four matches on Dynamite, and she's lost three of them. It could be significantly, significantly worse. To be honest, if they'd used her the same amount, but been less experimental and stuck to her best role - babyface backing up Cody and cutting those good sitdown interviews for videos and the occasional angle like with Anna Jay, it would have been fine. 

It's an issue of perception. Like how Roman Reigns still felt over-pushed and over-exposed, even when he was losing practically every PPV match - presumably in the hope of convincing people he wasn't being over-pushed. It doesn't matter how often you win or lose if people still feel like you're getting unfair treatment, or that you're not deserving of your spot. 

I can't think of an angle that's been improved for having Brandi in it. Maybe the whipping. I can think of multiple matches where Brandi was actively detrimental to the story they were telling, and none that she added to. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Was their any payoff to the brandi/allie thing? A blow off match on dark, A promo, a tweet? 

Was there any payoff to brandi/Anna Jay, they were out for the same match last week 

The biggest problem with Brandi is Brandi, she gets bored halfway through a story and just moves on. And Cody's too doe eyed to tell her no. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, The King Of Swing said:

Pac Vs. Blade was too competitive for my tastes but enjoyable. 

I didn't mind it, commentary put over the fact that Pac hasn't wrestled in 7 months and the story for me was that even with the ring rust, even with him looking battered by the end that Pac is a dangerous motherfucker when it counts and will make folk tap out. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, poetofthedeed said:

The biggest problem with Brandi is Brandi, she gets bored halfway through a story and just moves on. And Cody's too doe eyed to tell her no. 

As annoying as she is, I'm not sure I'd say no to her either if I'm honest.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Paid Members
1 hour ago, Mikeymike83 said:

I don't disagree with the sentiment that they've never really worked. That being said, when you have the mad scientist at the top who just constantly disregards stuff, more often than not for no other reason than he feels like it. It's hard to tell whether a true brand split would work or not. The few times they seemed to follow through with them (very first time in '02, again at the restart in '16), they did help more talent get exposure. Some failed, but others did flourish where they wouldn't have gotten a chance to otherwise.

My fear with AEW heading down that route is they are a young company. Other than the die hards that probably tune in every week, a new audience wouldn't be bothered with few recognisable faces. To a wider, casual audience you probably have Jericho, Moxley, Cody, Hardy who are faces you might know of. To then have to split that small percentage in two and thin out what star power (to a casual audience again mind, to those who have watched they have done a good job of establishing new names etc) they actually have. It's counter productive. For the record, I am not in favour of a brand split for this company.

Maybe there's a show that I'm not aware of, but they could really do with a recap type show (in the vain of your Saturday morning/afternoon WWE shows) to help bring that brand to more faces. Not just talking about kids either, talking about the dads who might have switched off years ago to never go back and watch along with their children. However, I would assume it's going to be given a prime time slot. And that, unfortunately, does not lend itself to a recap show.

I hope, I really do, that they don't run before they can walk. A few minor missteps along the way these last 18 months (which for the most part have been rectified) have been understandable given how new they are. But adding another prime time show which will over saturate their product ridiculous levels, could be a costly mistake that they may not be able to reverse.

One thing they could use Eric Bischoff for is to ask him not what to do, but what he wishes he didn't do or be forced to do 20 years ago. He's very vocal about the wrong decisions being made/dictated to him, so he should be able to identify those areas whereby history could be repeating itself.

I definitely see your point, and I agree that, in theory, a brand split should be possible with creative-enough thinking behind it. After all, it's simply another dimension via which to tell a wrestling story. But it's not just that WWE were shit at it because of Vince, but also because, any time any other companies with a budget and a profile have shown up and copied anything that WWE did, they tend to copy the same shit tendencies that made those concepts shit. The heel GM is a case in point.

Whilst AEW have demonstrated that they're both creative and adaptable, I don't imagine they'd execute a brand split any better than WWE did, partly down to trying to emulate them, and partly because I don't think even WWE really understood why they had the brand split in the first place.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Paid Members
1 hour ago, poetofthedeed said:

Was their any payoff to the brandi/allie thing? A blow off match on dark, A promo, a tweet? 

Was there any payoff to brandi/Anna Jay, they were out for the same match last week 

The biggest problem with Brandi is Brandi, she gets bored halfway through a story and just moves on. And Cody's too doe eyed to tell her no. 

Brandi and Anna Jay had a match, it was surprisingly ok.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, LaGoosh said:

Brandi and Anna Jay had a match, it was surprisingly ok.

On dark? Then Anna Jay attacked her on her cooking show? Then they had the dog collar match where they got involved......... Then nothing. 

 

Why didn't brandi jump anna Jay when she slid the chair in? 

Why wasn't she out there with the nightmares when the butcher and blade had allie? 

I'll give aew credit, they've done a good job, intentionally or not, of retconning mistakes. But I honestly think the run sheet says "Brandi, 5 minutes, whatever....." 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, poetofthedeed said:

The biggest problem with Brandi is Brandi, she gets bored halfway through a story and just moves on. And Cody's too doe eyed to tell her no. 

Also, her obsession with being a heel. Just because you want to be a heel doesn't mean you should be ome

Link to post
Share on other sites

Messy show this week. I can dig that AEW want to avoid some of WWE's worse tendencies but so often they go straight to the opposite extreme instead of the massive gulfing middle ground. The contract signing was cool but for the biggest match in Dynamite history the angle had almost no gravity to it whatsoever. I get not wanting run back replays every fifteen minutes and have the announcers run it into the ground but come on. Shave off a couple of minutes from that Pac/Blade match and give us a recap or an update on Moxley. Highlight it, build anticipation, make it feel important. Instead it felt like any other segment as they rushed 100 miles per hour into the next. 

So Vicki is back with Nyla Rose again? Why? I still don't get why they took the belt off Nyla so soon. She should have been out there squashing girls and cutting promos every other week.

The Las Vegas trip didn't reinvent the wheel and was a minor disappointment but I laughed plenty of times. I don't think you can fail with this bunch of characters. There's been way too much comedy with the Inner Circle this year but can you blame them? They're so good at it. Both tag matches were fun, bit gutted Hobbs turned bad as I enjoyed him as a fired up babyface. Didn't get the finish to the women's match, they had Britt interfere as a possible out to protect Thunder Rosa but it didn't play into the finish and Deeb beat her clean. Hopefully they give Rosa and Baker some promo time and we get our first worthwhile AEW women's feud.

Link to post
Share on other sites

That’s two weeks in a row that Jerry Lynn has been on TV. I know he hasn’t wrestled for nearly 8 years, but I bet he’s still got a good match in him.

oh, a¬†Hangover pastiche,¬†nothing quite like hitting these things at the height of their popularity. Vince would‚Äôve been battered with the ‚Äúout of touch old man‚ÄĚ stick if a single second of that had been shown on WWE TV.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...