The AEW Wednesday Night Dynamite Thread

I maintain that Cody's "I'll never challenge for the world championship again" stipulation is the stupidest thing they've ever done and I can't wait until they walk it back. That whole segment with Jade Cargill was a bloated mess and typical Codymania running wild. Saying that, I find it hard to care about it either way to be honest. I can't shake the feeling that Shaq is going to drop out and it's gonna go nowhere. 

Good Dynamite for what was essentially a glorified episode of Dark. Customary bad, overambitious women's match aside, all the in-ring stuff was really good. The violence in the Bunkhouse match and Penta vs Fenix felt unearned, but they ended up clicking anyway and were fun wild brawls. Cage vs Sydal was a cool little exhibition match for both. Sky and Spears was fine for what it was even if both are completely uninteresting right now. 

The Inner Circle/MJF stuff is a riot and the best thing they've been involved in in ages. It's funny, I thought MJF and Jericho respectively drained the life out of Moxley and Orange Cassidy during their feuds. But put them together and they're fucking gold. MJF and Sammy are electric together too, with Guevara already showing good babyface range. The interplay between all seven guys is a joy to watch and it's the biggest hook the show's had in ages. Unlike the stuff between The Elite guys I'm gripped by the possibilities and how it will all play out. This picture says it all.

Eml6YNuXcAAhnTd?format=jpg&name=medium

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Right people, right time, just the wrong location.

Fucking hell who’s arsed. Let people get excited about things.

For a TV Guide photoshoot promoting a new wrestling show, this is what you want to see. Not you brothers wedding reception, like those cunts above. You're selling professional wrestling. Nothing else.

Posted Images

• Paid Members

I still went MJF to eventually stage a coup and for all of the Inner Circle to turn and then feud with Jericho, but watching them this week? There is absolutely no rush. I’ll happily take six months to a year of them being a bunch of whacky pricks. I wonder if they go to Vegas and everything is shut due to Covid? Or they end up crashing Miro’s stag do?

Penta, Fenix and Proud and Powerful all getting more spotlight gets a big thumbs up from me. All of them have felt under-utilised for ages.

Completely forgot about the Cody stipulation. That does need to be walked back at some point, makes very little sense. 

Jericho and MJF are gold. I honestly had my reservations about Jericho going into AEW a year ago but he's consistently delivered in and out of the ring. Looking forward to the next wacky turn. 

• Paid Members

Having finally found the time to finish it, I can confidently say that the main event saved this show.

It was everything I love about AEW. Belting in-ring action combined with loads of brilliant story-telling. Pentagon and Fenix violently attacking each other’s masks, Big Tony shit-stirring at the desk, Kingston being phenomenal and wildly entertaining bickering with the announcers and feigning innocence, all the, “he’s my best friend!” stuff, then him kicking Fenix out of the ring. And this is all before Pac comes out looking the business.

In one segment they set up about ten different directions they could go in and about six to nine months worth of potential storylines and matches. Really top drawer stuff. I also think Kingston has now overtaken Jericho in becoming the best guest announcer they’ve got. He’s quick as fuck and reacts to everything tremendously. Even the way he was improvising when Excalibur got the names mixed up. It was perfect. The guy is a fucking diamond. No-one they’ve signed has delivered more.

EDIT: Jericho has posted this photo on Instagram and I absolutely adore it.

C4933822-9563-4082-9705-4A69E6A1942B.thumb.jpeg.2e5e78c818a5d425dd7baa5ef11f9e07.jpeg

I could go for at least a year of them travelling together and always taking the same photo, MJF, Jericho and Santana having the time of their lives wherever they are, Sammy and Ortiz looking miserable, and Hager and Wardlow always ready to kill each other.

AEW is a very good pro-wrestling company.

Edited by Supremo

That is a stonking photo.

They've got two angles running that have effortlessly involved FOURTEEN wrestlers, simply and logically, despite both being versions of a stable split. You've got the sneaky young pup trying to worm his way in by palling up with the big dog, vs the old leader coming back to sort out the chaos wrought by an intruder in his gang while he was forced to stay away. It's brilliant, carried by personalities and human reactions rather than win-loss records or (obvious) PPV match box ticking. The number of match combos, potential mini feuds, twists and turns is mind boggling, and the right kind of tension. Nothing feels inevitable or predictable, or unnecessary. It's fantastic.

14 hours ago, CavemanLynn said:

That is a stonking photo.

They've got two angles running that have effortlessly involved FOURTEEN wrestlers, simply and logically, despite both being versions of a stable split. You've got the sneaky young pup trying to worm his way in by palling up with the big dog, vs the old leader coming back to sort out the chaos wrought by an intruder in his gang while he was forced to stay away. It's brilliant, carried by personalities and human reactions rather than win-loss records or (obvious) PPV match box ticking. The number of match combos, potential mini feuds, twists and turns is mind boggling, and the right kind of tension. Nothing feels inevitable or predictable, or unnecessary. It's fantastic.

There's so many ways they can logically go with it as well, Do Sammy and Ortiz leave and have a tag match, does Jericho get kicked out and they decide to side with MJF or do we get conflicted decisions? Do we get a tag title run going for Wardlow and Hagar, forced upon them by Jericho and MJF to try and make them buddies? I hope the end goal in 3-6 months is most of them turning on Jericho including Sammy out of jealousy as I see Sammy/ Jericho being a great lead in feud to Jericho/MJF. I'd have Santana and Ortiz stick by Jericho though. This in my mind then leads off to hopefully and eventual Wardlow/ MJF feud but that's hopefully a long way off and we have a lot of good shit to get through in the meantime.

On 11/14/2020 at 5:56 AM, Mr Butternut Squash said:

I maintain that Cody's "I'll never challenge for the world championship again" stipulation is the stupidest thing they've ever done...

Cos heaven forbid a future heel Cody were to turn out to be a hypocrite and backtrack on a self imposed promise.

Credit to AEW, they seem to have lots of long term plans on the go, and I have every faith they have set that seed for a reason.

Edited by andrew "the ref" coyne
  • Paid Members

Even if that don’t have plans, it gives the impression they do when things are done so logically, which is better than what we have had in US wrestling in a long time. Much easier to invest in 

• Paid Members
6 hours ago, Suplex Sinner said:

It's quite incredible just how quickly and easy they make booking look compared to the dross in WWE (save for Roman). It's so natural and free flowing. Lovely stuff. 

Agreed. One thing I really love how they've booked Reynolds and Silver. They've gradually gone from bland jobbers that Moxley destroyed in seconds to popular members of the roster, and they've done it without getting any wins, major storylines or even a lot of TV time. They just gave them a logical role in the promotion and let them run with it. Silver, in particular, is one of the funniest people in wrestling right now.

Another thing I like is that it's Ortiz and Sammy that don't want MJF in the Inner Circle. Not Ortiz and Santana. It might not lead anywhere but I think it makes things more interesting than if they'd went the obvious route and Proud and Powerful were on the same page.

1 hour ago, unfitfinlay said:

Agreed. One thing I really love how they've booked Reynolds and Silver. They've gradually gone from bland jobbers that Moxley destroyed in seconds to popular members of the roster, and they've done it without getting any wins, major storylines or even a lot of TV time. They just gave them a logical role in the promotion and let them run with it. Silver, in particular, is one of the funniest people in wrestling right now.

Another thing I like is that it's Ortiz and Sammy that don't want MJF in the Inner Circle. Not Ortiz and Santana. It might not lead anywhere but I think it makes things more interesting than if they'd went the obvious route and Proud and Powerful were on the same page.

Yeah I've quickly become a Silver fan. Really enjoyed his match vs Cassidy at Full Gear. The personality he exuded was great, and their use of him has been solid.

Is the second telly show still in the works? 

I don't know if they'd go for an actual brand split at this time but they could make a second World Title for Cody to muck around with on the second telly show. Constantly talking about how he's put on extra muscle and how Cody feels it's time to play with the heavyweights, the AEW Heavyweight Title seems an obvious choice if they do want a second top prize. 

Failing that, the fact he said he wants to avenge his defeat to MJF (before the horrid segment that followed) seems like they'll go full circle and remove the stipulation during their second fight. The biggest issue there is how MJF has any care or power whether Cody can fight Mox/Omega for the World Title.