The AEW Wednesday Night Dynamite Thread

• Replies 7.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Right people, right time, just the wrong location.

Fucking hell who’s arsed. Let people get excited about things.

The Good Brothers are like a team of Christian and Matt Hardy. They both feel like the worst person in their team, it just happens to be the same team.

Posted Images

• Paid Members

I pretty much enjoyed every match with the exception of Hardy/Sammy. I liked seeing Gangrel and Hurricane show up but the vast majority of this cinematic/Broken stuff bores me stiff (Stadium Stampede aside). 

Hangman/Omega, FTR/Bucks and Cody/Darby were all crackers. 3 top matches there.

The main event DID live up to my expectations but thats because I didn't expect it to be anything more than a standard deathmatch. They were never going to match the intensity of the build-up. 

AEW need to pull the trigger on some of these slow-burn angles though. Omega and the Bucks have been flirting with heel turns for around a year now, either commit and go though with it or drop it completely. I really can't be arsed with another 6 months of Omega and Bucks acting smug while Hangman makes sad eyes. Its pro wrestling, not Mad Men, get a move on.

• Paid Members

I thought whoever the agents were for the matches did a cracking job. I loved how Page was trying to move his head so Omega couldn’t pull off the one winged Angel. I loved the finish to Cody/Allin, took me by surprise. Also, while we’ve seen the fake weapon attack spot, I thought the way it led to the finish in Jericho/MJF was clever. And the way Bucks/FTR ended I thought was inspired when FTR swapped fists for flips. Great booking.

Overall I think it was my favourite AEW PPV of the year. Worth the £15, even if I didn’t love the main event. 

Edited by Hannibal Scorch
  • Paid Members

I think in terms of order of matches it was probably the best big show AEW have ever done. It flowed very well, each match felt different and in the right place to keep a steady momentum. AEW aren't always very good at that.

Edited by LaGoosh

Echo the thoughts of everyone else for the most part. Cody/Allin was superb and my favourite match of the night. I'd like to see Cody move on from the TNT Title picture and announce he's going after the big one. Gives them an opportunity (as someone mentioned) to actually develop a bit of depth to the title picture rather than cycling folk in and out for a few matches. Could do a similar story with Page and have him climb from the bottom up, working his way through the rankings.

I was pretty disappointed by the main event, I was expecting so much more given the excellent build and the emotions that Kingston put into his promos. Sadly though it was just another of Moxley's pseudo-hardcore matches. For me he's borderline parody. All the hype about what he was going to do in WWE when he came back from injury "ripped" to getting his creative freedom and pushing the boundaries etc and personally I don't think he's delivered. The Omega match was good. This match was just a bit samey, given the build I was hoping for a war, really over the edge spots but it just never got there. They have a decision to make about how long he keeps the belt because he's already a bit stale in my opinion. 

• Paid Members
7 hours ago, Mr Butternut Squash said:

Things started to nosedive with the Hardy match. I swear everything he touches turns to shit. Such a weird match too, the execution of it was all over the place in both production and tone. I can't believe they redid the spear spot that went so badly before. And it seemingly fucked someone up once again! I don't know if Sammy's head getting busted was a work or not -the camera completely missed it - but it was stupid either way.

It was definitely a work. That's why the camera completely missed it. It's also why Sammy was lying in an instant pool of blood, yet wasn't actually bleeding at all out of the back of his head.

• Paid Members
8 hours ago, Suplex Sinner said:

Echo the thoughts of everyone else for the most part. Cody/Allin was superb and my favourite match of the night. I'd like to see Cody move on from the TNT Title picture and announce he's going after the big one. Gives them an opportunity (as someone mentioned) to actually develop a bit of depth to the title picture rather than cycling folk in and out for a few matches. Could do a similar story with Page and have him climb from the bottom up, working his way through the rankings.. 

He's not allowed to, remember.

It does feel like theyve run through all of the heel challengers pretty fast. I don't know what they do with Mox after Omega beats him.

9 hours ago, Suplex Sinner said:

I was pretty disappointed by the main event, I was expecting so much more given the excellent build and the emotions that Kingston put into his promos. Sadly though it was just another of Moxley's pseudo-hardcore matches. For me he's borderline parody. All the hype about what he was going to do in WWE when he came back from injury "ripped" to getting his creative freedom and pushing the boundaries etc and personally I don't think he's delivered. The Omega match was good. This match was just a bit samey, given the build I was hoping for a war, really over the edge spots but it just never got there. They have a decision to make about how long he keeps the belt because he's already a bit stale in my opinion. 

It's an interesting point, and one that I've agreed with in terms of Mox for the most part, although I think since day 1 in AEW he's been treated like a megastar. He did suffer from some fairly shallow 'feuds' / monster of the week / whatever you want to call it. But I really thought he excelled recently with Kingston and I do think his promos have been a lot better in AEW. There's more intensity and a sense of freedom that you never really got with Dean Ambrose. Has he majorly changed up his act? Absolutely not but he is what he is. It's just how they manage that really, and I think AEW are better at emphasising his strengths. Before this I would've agreed about the staleness but actually I think now is the strongest he's ever looked.

In terms of the actual match it's a difficult one to talk about because so many of us had such high expectations and really bought into the storyline. Obviously none of us were expecting Eddie to die or anything, nor would we want him to. And with a good few spots in recent times going wrong in AEW, I was almost a little relieved that they didn't go too far. It felt dangerous but on a more personal level rather than relying on big set pieces. I think I liked it that way. I was really against Eddie quitting but when I sat there and watched him get choked out with barbed wire, could I really blame him? Fuck no. I'd be out in a damn second. So again it did feel a bit more 'real' than anything I think. Plus you just know if they'd done anything too crazy people would've complained about that too..

Edited by DavidB6937

Great show with pretty much all the matches delivering - I’d say Cody/Darby and FTR/Bucks were the highlights.

Elite Deletion was fun nonsense and Moxley/Kingston put on the type of match you’d expect. It wasn’t Reigns/Uso but it did the job as an I Quit match. 

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Duke said:

He's not allowed to, remember.

It does feel like theyve run through all of the heel challengers pretty fast. I don't know what they do with Mox after Omega beats him.

Cody can't. But can Cody Rhodes?