The AEW Wednesday Night Dynamite Thread

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Right people, right time, just the wrong location.

Fucking hell who’s arsed. Let people get excited about things.

For a TV Guide photoshoot promoting a new wrestling show, this is what you want to see. Not you brothers wedding reception, like those cunts above. You're selling professional wrestling. Nothing else.

Posted Images

• Paid Members

There was some great stuff in there. Kenny Omega looking like an enormous star and an absolute dickhead. I reckon Joey Janela saw the booking for this week and went around asking people with Covid to lick him. I also loved the musical interlude - my take on it is that all Jericho and MJF's stuff has been the two of them just finding each other funny and entertaining themselves, and that their characters are doing the same thing. They're both performing and doing bits, in-character. That's fine.

Also, Penta vs Rey Fenix was the best match either have had in AEW. Really good stuff.

The situation with Reynolds was absolutely fucked - they got it REALLY wrong. I can see how some elements happened - the way he had his hand up for a bit, and was roughly where he was meant to be, doing roughly what he was meant to do, I get. I can also believe enough people in the ring were looking elsewhere that nobody was looking in the right place long enough to realise. However, the referee really fucked up, and doesn't he wear an earpiece? Whoever was producing the show should have picked up on it fast. Serious fuck-up. Eesh.

A shame to mar what was otherwise such a good show.

20 hours ago, Supremo said:

I don’t watch BTE. John Silver makes me want to start watching. If he’s half as good on that show as he’s becoming on Dynamite then I’m all in.

He's consistently hilarious on BTE. He's basically a muscular child, who cannot keep a straight face while Brodie shouts at him. Incredibly likeable. 

The Bucks/FTR feud has been shite. No way in hell they should go last. 

Mox Vs. Kingston is the money match for me. 

AEW really need to get their shit together in regards to wrestler safety. WWE were rightly ripped to shreds when Kairi got fucked up so AEW don't get a pass from me. 

The woman's division is dead on it's arse. Might pick up if Kenny's mates are ever allowed back in the US but until then it's a waste of ten minutes of TV time.

Wardlow and Jungle Boy are stars in the making. Both looked great. 

• Paid Members

* They’re going in on Wardlow, which I like, though I do have my concerns that they’ve sacrificed so many big men to Cody and Mox that he’ll just end up another big fella treading water in the upper mid-card. Still, you gotta hope for the best and this was absolutely the right result – Jungle Boy can take a few losses and still keep his “up and coming hungry young tiger” aura. Wardlow looked decent, too. I mean, he should, he’s been wrestling for a decade.

* Eddie Kingston versus Jon Moxley is turning into THE feud of the year so far, and the best thing is that it’s got a taste of the real to it. Kingston being mad at Mox for going to WWE is understandable, and for AEW fans that’s a babyface move, but the finesse is that Kingston is mad at Mox because he didn’t take HIM to WWE with him. The promos this pair have been cutting are the best I’ve seen in years, and take me back to much better days, storywise. Good work fellas!

* Did Joey Janela pull himself off the show because of Covid-19 or because he’s the smartest man in wrestling? I mean, it was totally the right thing for Omega to win with a squash – although he could have killed Kiss a tiny bit more – but Janela saw this one coming. Oh, and I loved Omega’s intro but ditch the sweepy women, Ken, eh?

* Don’t interview Orange Cassidy. Less is more.

* I LOVE Rey Fenix and the Penagon man, and this was shaping up to be one of their best matches together (I mean, they’ve had some phone-in stinkers so…) but Fenix was knocked stupid halfway through and it’s a mark of just how good he is that they did some major spots with him all loopy. The thing is, though, as they again proved later, the match should have been stopped. He wasn’t in a proper condition to carry on and the refs need to get more assertive with talent, even if it means calling an audible. Sure, Omega versus Fenix would be the better match, but did it really matter if Penta won this?

* John Silver is a wonderful, ridiculous man.

* Hangman Page looked good but did this need to go – looks it up – oh. It was only eleven minutes? It felt much, much longer. Huh. Anyway, I was half expecting shenanigans here because there’s no way they should be having Omega versus Page at Full Gear.

* I am excited for Elite Deletion. If it turns out not to be shot on the Hardy compound I reserve the right to rescind that excitement.

* There are some people who will say, quite rightly, that a comedy musical segment has no place on a fighting show. I get it, I really do. But sometimes something happens that should never, ever happen, and it’s the best thing ever (for an hour), and when Jericho and MJF broke into song after some ridiculous dinner banter… well, I wouldn’t have been watching anything else. It was so STUPID and sometimes stupid is exactly what I want. Beautiful idiots.

* Britt “Kelsi Roxx” Baker did not look as good against KiLynn King as she did against Red Velvet but she’s still very much improved.

* The Bunny is back with her husband. Continuity cop Eddie Kingston strikes again! Now get on the case of why Pac is allowed to sit at home for seven months…

* The tag-team four-way was kind of a mess but also kind of exciting and I get that that’s what you want out of these kind of matches. Plus, John Silver got to John Silver. BUT. Alex Reynolds was knocked out. And the referee didn’t notice. Worse still, he lay in the ring for two minutes and no-one checked on him. Then his corpse was revived so the Bucks could do the planned spots and no-one stopped them. Then he had to be rolled out of the ring, where he still almost got landed on. Now it’s easy to apportion blame, so I’m going to. Rick Knox is derelict in his duty here. John Silver isn’t clear, either, because you look after your partner, first and foremost. Plus, it’s a freaking FOUR-WAY so there were two other teams that could have taken those spots and everything would have been fine. It ruined the match and the end of the show for me, and I couldn’t have given a shit about FTR and Tully and a beating and the Bucks winning because Reynolds was unconscious in the ring for two whole minutes. Bad.

• Paid Members
8 hours ago, FelatioLips said:

So you're happy to watch two guys have an intimate steak dinner on your wrestling show, but you drawn the line at musical numbers?

People go for meals to sort out business deals across all genres of tv. That itself would have had a lotta potential if shot properly. Instead we got them eating in front of a curtain which made it look like the hundreds of wwe backstage skits we have seen for years, and then into a song and dance routine which took me right out of things. If you enjoyed it good for you. I’d personally preferred more like the restaurant scene from Goodfellas than what we got from that segment. 

Having watched it about 10 times now - the Jericho stuff was a lot of fun. I don't have any issues with it. It's not like it's a legit sport show and suddenly you've got two sworn enemies doing a musical number or something. It's wrestling. They do crazy shit like this all the time. I do agree that WWE probably would've been criticised more for it, but at the same time I doubt it would've been half as good coming from them anyway.

Now that was a really good show with a couple of flaws (Dr Samson not being very good and the weird booking of FTR/Bucks) 

My main takeaway from Wednesday night was how many people don't understand how wrestling actually works. 

I saw a bunch of takes on twitter from "smart" people who were mad that Sonny lost in a less than a minute. I'm sure Kenny would have got extra over going back and forth for 17 minutes with a AEW Dark regular. 

Also read a bunch of people saying that they don't feel more compelled to watch a future Jericho/MJF match after the dinner debonair. That wasn't the fucking point of the segment. It's when MJF and the Inner Circle turn on Jericho (and I hope that won't be for another 6 months) is when I'm supposed to care about a Jericho/MJF feud. 

One thing that really seperates AEW from WWE is that the latter would have had John Silver saying "Johnny Hungy!!!" 12 times a match/promo/whatever by now.

Speaking of, he's this week's guest on A Shot of Brandi and 100% makes it worth watching.

Angle or no, Fenix has had to forfeit his place in the tourney due to jacking his neck in his match with Penta, and replaced with... Penta. Plus the promo on Insta added more to the idea of a possible split of the Lucha Bros which surely must include a full-on face turn for Rey. That means the next bracket includes Penta vs Kenny and Page vs Wardlow. Versus face Fenix, I'd expect a more competitive match that showed more nasty cocky Omega, but up against the darker Penta, I reckon Kenny cries it off to avoid him, and leaving Page to get battered by Wardlow then stretched by El Zero M. It feels like the Family need to start winning some big ones, because as much as Kingston's mic work is stellar and the big group means plenty of potential angles, they've done a lot of losing so far.

Not keen on them replacing Fenix with the bloke he's just beat. They should've just had Omega get a straight bye to the finals. Would've added another dynamic to his cocky heel schtick. Plus I love the idea of an Omega vs Hangman final where Omega has had to wrestle one 30-second match to get there whereas Hangman has had to grind through two difficult matches.

1 hour ago, Lorne Malvo said:

Not keen on them replacing Fenix with the bloke he's just beat. They should've just had Omega get a straight bye to the finals. Would've added another dynamic to his cocky heel schtick. Plus I love the idea of an Omega vs Hangman final where Omega has had to wrestle one 30-second match to get there whereas Hangman has had to grind through two difficult matches.

Makes you wonder why they haven’t done exactly this, unless Page is winning the tournament and they don’t want Kenny to look like a loser.

Should Page be winning the tournament? I’m not so sure, but having him come up short again could really hurt his momentum. Unless Kenny wins the belt from Moxley in the new year (was it February when they had Revolution?) and you then build to Page going Double or Nothing at Double or Nothing, perhaps by putting his contract up if he doesn’t win the belt. It would mean Kenny only has a short reign, but they could maybe get a rematch/feud ending match at All Out.