MPDTT

The AEW Wednesday Night Dynamite Thread

11 hours ago, Chris B said:

That Hangman promo. Holy hell, that was good. Just utterly heartbreaking. "Inside, I'm made of blood and bone like everyone else, but I feel like from head to toe, I'm just full of poison." That was perfectly delivered too. And the way he convinced himself that it was just a glitch and that he and Kenny were still a 'we'. 

You just watched it, like 'oh, you poor sod'. And not in a bad way either. He's going to get his heart broken, hit rock bottom, and then build up to the main event again. I have no idea if they can pay this off well, but I'm so invested in the long-term story with him and Omega.

Absolutely! After the lacklustre Pay Per View I was completely over the teases and nuanced baby steps in this storyline, but this show pulled me back in. Both promos from Omega and Hangman were fantastic and I’m super interested to see what happens now.

Has anyone in pro-wrestling ever created a sympathetic character like Hangman before? A complete screw-up, full of flaws, yet you’re desperate to see him get it together and succeed? Fair fucks to them for even trying it, never mind succeeding. 99% of the time this would either result in a heel turn or him being positioned as a loser not worth caring about, whereas here I nearly cried when he mumbled that poison line. Genuinely poignant.

Edited by Supremo

One thing I forgot to mention about Dynamite, is do we now have to add Cash Wheeler to the list of wrestlers badly wearing suits? Harwood looked brilliant in his suit, but Wheeler looked a mess with his oversized trousers and no socks.

On 9/10/2020 at 8:23 AM, FelatioLips said:

End to end in terms of pacing it was one of the best Dynamites they've done. Flew by with some good matches, some good storytelling and a nice little surprise like Miro thrown in. Probably could have been better ways to debut him but still. 
Dustin is fantastic and I was glad to see his match go long with Brodie rather than get flattened.

This is my feeling too. Great episode of television which I enjoyed from start to finish. Showcased plenty of people, progressed plenty of angles, I’m already looking forward to next week’s.

The Page and Omega interviews were definite highlights, but I’m also invested in Wardlow, Best Friends, Sonny Kiss, Ricky Starks, Shida, Conti, Cabana and Uno, Jungle Boy, and Miro. That’s a lot of people in one show - especially when for the last few years I could count the number of wrestlers on a show I cared about on one hand, It’s nearly a year in, but the work AEW have put in really feels like it’s paying off.

That main event was sublime. I loved it. Dustin Rhodes is incredible, and it was probably the best singles match Brodie Lee has ever had. Superb TV main event.

Edited by HarmonicGenerator

10 minutes ago, Edgehead said:

Somebody try and convince me why Kip Sabian is worth a weekly Dynamite spot over anyone else?

Penelope does not count.

Because he’s a young good looking lad whose capable in the ring. He’s not 51 year old ‘only there because he’s Jericho’s mate’ Dr Luther, is more interesting than Brandon Cutler and his board games or that knock off Damian Sandow he’s been teaming with, is less irritating than Austin Gunn and it takes a spot away from Matt Cardona 

Edited by WyattSheepMask

41 minutes ago, Edgehead said:

Somebody try and convince me why Kip Sabian is worth a weekly Dynamite spot over anyone else?

Penelope does not count.

Why doesn't she? He plays her cocky dickhead fawning boyfriend really well. They are a good act together. Also he's pretty decent in the ring and has the type of face you immediately want to punch, solid midcard heel material.

I just don't see anything in him, and it's go away change the channel vibe for me.

The rest of AEW's young guard have way more appealing features about themselves and so he is taking up space where a Scorpio Sky could do with it a lot more.

I'm not saying Sky is part of that young guard btw.

Edited by Edgehead

I mean he's barely featured on Dynamite and when he is it's very rarely for longer than 5 minutes so you should be ok.

He's also proved himself to be a solid company man during the pandemic. He's one of the guys that Tony Khan singled out as being a life saver over the first few tapings.

@Edgehead So who of the young guard would you put in his place? I’m not calling you out or anything, you’ve raised the point and I’m interested to know.
You say you don’t see anything in Kip Sabian, which is fine that’s your opinion, but not everyone has to have that “it factor” or be considered a star. For all we know, Kip might be perfectly happy being rotated on and off TV as and when they need him.

Scorpio Sky is a interesting one as they do seem to distancing him from SCU more and more. He is 37 though, so it’s now or never with him if they’re going to try and make him a featured part of the show. 

Essentially, I guess he's being aimed at that younger target demographic or interest than you have or are. 

He's around 30k followers on Instagram, 11k on Twitch and 30k on Twitter. Ford on Twitter has over 60k, her Instagram close to 100k.

They're two good looking people who for different reasons, character wise you're supposed to dislike. Ford's a stuck up, egotistical brat and Sabian has this Simp Life, Hugh Grant false smugness, arrogance that people want to slap the face off.

They both play the character well and as mentioned in a world of Dungeon masters, librarians and front Office, springboarding, Diamon Cutting workers set out a little more as actual bad guy characters rather than the somewhat vague disposition of many on the roster. 

Adding in Miro is a genius move, because what's set him apart post WWE is that he's doing the social media thing, well, and that it's not realistically impossible that they'd have hung out playing games but at the same time we know he could squash him like a bug. That's surely going to be the natural conclusion to all of this, that Sabian somehow pisses him off and get swatted like a fly but for a few minutes of TV per week its not a worry. 

Just have a piss then rather than when they do picture in picture if you want to avoid it. 

16 minutes ago, Edgehead said:

I just don't see anything in him, and it's go away change the channel vibe for me.

The rest of AEW's young guard have way more appealing features about themselves and so he is taking up space where a Scorpio Sky could do with it a lot more.

I'm not saying Sky is part of that young guard btw.

Maybe you picked bad examples, but you've just said you don't like a heel and do like a face, which is kind of the point.

To be clear, I have ZERO interest in Kip Sabian in the ring - I think he's as bland a Johnny Kickpads as they come. But outside the ring, he's a social media savvy, good looking, young guy who's not afraid to ham it up and look a total goof, whether it's shamelessly self promoting himself on placards or trying to look cool with half his sunglasses kicked in by Shida. If anything, I much prefer him in a manager role for Ford, who goes a much stronger upside in the admittedly thinner women's division, but therefore more able to make an impact and get match time on the big shows.

You can do a helluva lot more with Kip and Ford right now than another solid face worker. On any given night, any of the AEW roster can turn up and bang out a good to great match. The difference is the personalities involved. Kip's done more for that by turning up with A2 card and a sharpie than Sky or half the roster has going all out for 10 minutes for months on Dark.

It's one of the things that makes his association with Miro so intriguing. You've got the slimy snarky little heel of Sabian now paired up with totes adorbz Handsome Miro. Will they do the generic love triangle thing? Maybe, but it was Kip that got the big squeezy Bulgarian bear hug and Penelope who got the fist bump. When you've got maybe 8 matches on a PPV, I've got much more time for this than another "It's my time to show everyone what I can do!" work rate face run.

This episode is probably the first I've watched, where paths were clearly laid out, for things to hopefully start making more sense. Jericho & Hagar 'out of the way', to chase the Tag-Titles, at the same time, making that a more intriguing division. Page & Omega (as they need to do) performing as singles competitors & adding to the list of Championship contenders. Miro in, adding to the likes of; Moxley, Archer, Lee & Cage in the big boys division & potential feuds boiling under (Best Friends/Santana & Ortiz, Darby & Starks). Being polite, still not impressed with Omega & Paige's promo's. We already have 2 "Best Friends". That's enough of the soppy man-love. You're supposed to be there to wrestle, gentlemen. My highlight was Jericho with the fire extinguisher...perfect comedy timing.

Edited by KingofSports