The AEW Wednesday Night Dynamite Thread

• Replies 6.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Right people, right time, just the wrong location.

Fucking hell who’s arsed. Let people get excited about things.

For a TV Guide photoshoot promoting a new wrestling show, this is what you want to see. Not you brothers wedding reception, like those cunts above. You're selling professional wrestling. Nothing else.

Posted Images

That's quite a transformation. Has anyone asked him directly? he would never be able to deny it, though i've seen some deny it. 

I haven't heard of a wellness policy being in place in AEW. 

Who do we think are the users within the company?

• Paid Members

in terms of influences on today's style, it's a real mess of stuff - most broadly, I'd say that the mainstream style today owes more to WCW Cruiserweight matches than to almost anything else, but there's also been the influence of '90s AJPW (mostly as distilled through early 2000s US indies), early '00s Toryumon, and mock-MMA, with the Attitude Era influence being more apparent in the big bumps and so on that we're talking about. 

The problem is that most of these influences are passed on second or third hand, and completely divorced from the environment in which they came about - people are doing lucha spots outside of lucha psychology, or mimicking exchanges from the biggest AJPW matches without appreciating the years of build that made those sequences work. They're doing MMA routines in the same matches as hurricanranas and springboard arm drags.

All of these things in isolation work, but all of them taken out of context and smashed together just means that wrestling everywhere - because this isn't just an AEW problem - is becoming increasingly homogenised; the WWE style now more closely resembles NJPW or ROH than it does the WWE of 15 years ago, but NJPW today resembles WWE more than it does the NJPW of 15 years ago - everything's meeting in the middle, and in a lot of ways to their detriment. 

• Paid Members
24 minutes ago, Merzbow said:

Video games are partly influential, I've heard interviews with more than one modern wrestler saying they got into wrestling through Smackdown games or whatever.

Completely. For most wrestlers in their early to mid-30s, it seems to be video games and tape trading - which, again, adds to the sense of seeing and taking influence from a lot of different styles, but outside of their usual context.

If I'm ever in the position to give advice, I find myself using the phrase "video game wrestling" a lot, to describe wrestlers who will perform moves with little connecting thread between them, and rarely go for pins outside of the finish, because they're wrestling like they would in a video game, not how they would in a real match.

That said, I don't think the modern style owes as much to video games as indie wrestling did 10-15 years ago - I heard an interview with PCO where he explained that what makes today's style so different to what came before is that it's largely defined by stringing together a series of moves in a short space of time, rather than necessarily letting each move sink in on its own merits; in AEW terms I'm thinking of stuff like Omega's Kamikaze Crash into a moonsault, or pretty much anything the Bucks do. While it has its own flaws, that style is almost by definition removed from "video game wrestling" by seeing moves as a continuous motion, rather than as separate distinct parts.

• Paid Members

Just read an interesting Jericho interview where he describes his role in AEW and that all his storylines are basically written by him with input from Tony Khan and Cody. He's already written the next 10 weeks of storylines for himself post All Out 2. The ability to completely book his character with total freedom must be heaven for Jericho after putting up with Vince's nonsense for years.

10 hours ago, LaGoosh said:

Just read an interesting Jericho interview where he describes his role in AEW and that all his storylines are basically written by him with input from Tony Khan and Cody. He's already written the next 10 weeks of storylines for himself post All Out 2. The ability to completely book his character with total freedom must be heaven for Jericho after putting up with Vince's nonsense for years.

Surely he had some input in WWE? I can't imagine he was one of the guys that suffered too much from Vince.

• Paid Members
4 minutes ago, DavidB6937 said:

Surely he had some input in WWE? I can't imagine he was one of the guys that suffered too much from Vince.

Vince re-writes TV up to broadcast. It can’t be an easy environment to be in

• Paid Members

Triple H changed the entire Festival of Friendship angle on the day it was supposed to happen and Jericho spent all day having to argue nonstop to get it changed back to what we saw so yes, while he definitely worked with writers on his stuff it wouldn't have been anything close to the complete creative freedom he has now.

• Paid Members
42 minutes ago, DavidB6937 said:

As someone who's read all 4 of his books (a bit weird, in hindsight) he does exaggerate a lot of his more petulant conflicts with Vince, but he's had a lot more pull than most as he kept getting brought back. If he were to leave AEW it may be different.

23 minutes ago, LaGoosh said:

Triple H changed the entire Festival of Friendship angle on the day it was supposed to happen and Jericho spent all day having to argue nonstop to get it changed back to what we saw

Jericho would be correct. Interesting question is that has he, could he and would he do the same for people he wasn't involved in angles with?

Edited by seph
  • Paid Members
5 minutes ago, seph said:

Jericho would be correct. Interesting question is that has he, could he and would he do the same for people he wasn't involved in angles with?

I doubt it but also: why should he? He's not being paid to be on the booking team. 

34 minutes ago, LaGoosh said:

I doubt it but also: why should he? He's not being paid to be on the booking team. 

He's not, but by all accounts he's advised a few people like Britt and pushed the whole Pineapple Pete thing. I bet he's loved the part he's played in OC's career. Seems like he's happy to get stuck in, be a mentor and help folk get over.