The AEW Wednesday Night Dynamite Thread

Caught up with this last night. Didn't love the finish of the title match, particularly a Moxley bizarrely switched the armbar to the arm he hadn't been working just before it happened (although maybe that'll be explained as Taz's logic - the 'good arm' was controlled in the armbar and the other arm was in no condition to allow Cage to power up & out from the face down position so he threw the towel in before both arms ended up injured).

Wonder if they might have got out of it a different way by having Moxley jawing with Taz (a noted hothead) a bit more throughout, then having Taz throw the towel at Moxley in anger when he gave him the finger, unintentionally signalling the submission.

• Replies 6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Right people, right time, just the wrong location.

Fucking hell who’s arsed. Let people get excited about things.

For a TV Guide photoshoot promoting a new wrestling show, this is what you want to see. Not you brothers wedding reception, like those cunts above. You're selling professional wrestling. Nothing else.

Posted Images

• Paid Members
Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, Statto said:

Wonder if they might have got out of it a different way by having Moxley jawing with Taz (a noted hothead) a bit more throughout, then having Taz throw the towel at Moxley in anger when he gave him the finger, unintentionally signalling the submission.

😯 I can only imagine the reaction on here if that was the finish. 

I thought the finish made sense. Cage was out the first half of the year with a massive arm injury and Taz wants to protect his investment and make sure it doesn't happen again. Psychology wise the whole thing made sense, put Moxley over as a smart fighter and Cage can complain he didn't tap out.

Edited by LaGoosh
  • Paid Members
On 7/18/2020 at 5:41 PM, BrodyGraham said:

I have a theory that Omega is trying to tell a meta story through his career that's tied to his sense of self worth. Basically Kenny Omega deep down feels worth less without a partner. He couldn't win the big one in Japan until he had Kota back and on his own in AEW he was portraying himself as lost until the team with Page. Everything has been largely rosey for Kenny since then. They've had a good run with the titles and Kenny got the win in Stadium Stampede. The pull apart with FTR last week where Page sided with FTR and the swilling this week feel like the trigger points for Kenny losing it and going back to something like The Cleaner after his team with Page breaks down. Quite how a Western audience will take to dastardly anime villain Kenny is a different matter. 

I've been saying for a while that I think the Omega/Page story is the angle that Kenny had booked for him and Kota, amended to fit Hangman instead. 

On 7/18/2020 at 5:49 PM, Carbomb said:

I haven't seen as much of Cody in AEW as I'd have liked, so I can't comment on his general consistency, however.

Consistency has never really been his issue - Cody was known as "Mr. Three Stars", because he could reliably have a bang average, good-enough match every single time. You just knew exactly what you were getting from him. Where he surprised people and excelled was in stuff like his match with Nick Aldis, and with Dustin, where he told a compelling story, and front-loaded the match with as much Southern wrestling tropes as possible. What's becoming increasingly apparent is that Cody doesn't know how to book/wrestle any other way, and that what's special in one match soon loses its lustre when it's happening in all of them, and that a lot of "old school" spots happen in his matches for really no reason at all. 

52 minutes ago, LaGoosh said:

😯 I can only imagine the reaction on here if that was the finish. 

I thought the finish made sense. Cage was out the first half of the year with a massive arm injury and Taz wants to protect his investment and make sure it doesn't happen again. Psychology wise the whole thing made sense, put Moxley over as a smart fighter and Cage can complain he didn't tap out.

Have AEW acknowledged the arm injury? I don't really like the idea that, for the finish to make sense, I'd have to be aware that Cage had been out with an injury before even signing with the company. It's not something I'd expect the audience to know off-hand - I certainly didn't. 

• Paid Members

Hmmm...I'm not sure. I think Mox mentioned it in his promo, pretty sure Excalibur mentioned it on commentary too. But yeah they definitely could have made a bigger effort to tell the audience going in.

The first I heard of it was Moxley's promo at the start of the show. The whole point of intrigue is that you use it BEFORE the show to get people to pay/watch. Waiting until the show itself to drop a twist like that in is terrible booking. I know it's not a PPV, but it was still the climax to the angle and, in business terms, too late to bring in any new viewers. The in-match angle itself made sense, with Mox wearing down both arms so Cage couldn't fight out, but like a lot of things in AEW at the moment, the whole thing wasn't quite right.

AEW continues to be on its steady slide in quality since binning off the prerecorded shows. The matches are pretty much always decent but the presentation and booking are simultaneously flaky (botched camerawork, missed cues, etc) and mundane (the massive reduction in vignettes, the unnecessary clusterfuck multi-man matches).

• Paid Members

I really don't think promoting that Cage had a previous arm injury would lead to any new viewers or extra interest in the match.

• Paid Members
18 minutes ago, BomberPat said:

Have AEW acknowledged the arm injury? I don't really like the idea that, for the finish to make sense, I'd have to be aware that Cage had been out with an injury before even signing with the company. It's not something I'd expect the audience to know off-hand - I certainly didn't. 

It was talked about on commentary throughout the match. I thought they did a really good job at the end of the match in particular - JR talked about throwing in the towel being a wise decision by Taz, and Jericho reacted with disbelief, asking JR to explain his thinking. JR explained that Cage was in his prime, but had spent 5 months out injured, so the last thing you would want is him out for another 5 months. Jericho then accepted that, and referred back to it later - 'Now I get it, now JR's explained it to me, I get why Taz did this'.

Jericho was hilarious right at the end too. After being freshly outraged every time the footage of the orange juice drenching was shown, just as they cut off, he randomly screamed "I'm covered in orange juice!".

• Paid Members

Funny you say that just reminded me about that FTR Vs Lucha Bros match. What a fucking shit show that was. I'm pointing to Fenix and especially Pentagon for that one. Pentagon is probably rusty or out of shape with being out of action/stuck in Mexico for so long. 

Despite any of the negative stuff in this thread, some of which I agree with and some of which I don't, it's the only wrestling show that I've been able to continue with during this time. I'm invested in a lot of the roster. WWE's Raw and Smackdown has been unbearable during the Covid period, and I binned off NXT around the end of last year as I couldn't cope anymore with the endless Gargano/Cole/Ciampa forced epic bollocks. As well as Keith Lee and Dijakovic bouncing around as if they think they are Rey Mysterio. 

So if it wasn't for Dynamite, I'd be down to just catching pieces of WWE PPV's now, but AEW give me enough reasons, often enough, to regularly tune in. 

• Paid Members

Jericho could have quite easily accepted the AEW gig as an easy payday and done the bare minimum like most EX-WWE guys did in TNA but he's been turning in gold every week he's been there, is working his arse off to get literally everything over and is the most entertaining character in wrestling for years. This run has cemented him as one of the all time greats to me.

I enjoyed this weeks show.

Jericho was great throughout, the moment he jumped on commentary i find myself watching the matches I'd normally fast forward too. Had no issues with the OJ juice after the Omega situation. Both were different enough and fed into the stories. 

Last match, i think the finish was as good as they could conjure up. Where the booking was a bit iffy for me was cage doing a beat down after when he should have been selling the arm.

The Jurassic express vs Elite was loads of fun. As was FTR vs Lucha Bros where they finished it in such a way that they can go again. 

Plenty of good within the show to leave me happy. 

1 hour ago, LaGoosh said:

Jericho could have quite easily accepted the AEW gig as an easy payday and done the bare minimum like most EX-WWE guys did in TNA but he's been turning in gold every week he's been there, is working his arse off to get literally everything over and is the most entertaining character in wrestling for years. This run has cemented him as one of the all time greats to me.

It's his chance to prove to the world that he's as good as he's always told other people he is.

And actually in terms of reinventing himself and staying relevant over such a prolonged period of time, it's pretty hard to argue against now.

• Paid Members
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, LaGoosh said:

I think that’s what made this week’s Jericho segment feel so jarring. It was a big misfire coming from a guy who’s been hitting home runs since he arrived. The only other time this has happened was that segment where Matt Hardy was teleporting all over the arena. You wonder if Jericho’s been booking most of his own stuff and these were the few times when he took on someone else’s idea. To quote the man himself - a stupid idea from bad creative. It definitely feels like there’s been a shift in the writing process this past week though. Something is definitely up. I just hope they get ahold of it again like they did after Christmas. Send Brandi and Allie back to Dark.

Edited by Supremo