MPDTT

The AEW Wednesday Night Dynamite Thread

On 6/25/2020 at 1:39 PM, LaGoosh said:

Orange Cassidy posing in sun glasses and a blood spattered tshirt is perfect pro wrestling.

I sought this out after reading this, the only pro-wrestling I've had any interest in watching at the moment, and you're absolutely spot on. Fantastic stuff. I've said it before, but man. If this Jericho/Cassidy thing was happening in front of fans he'd be a made man for life. It's clicking perfectly, a brilliant dynamic, Jericho clearly recognises the greatness of Cassidy's act and how to make it work, all it's missing is an arena full of fans going crazy when he puts the shades back on, covered in blood. His Becky-with-a-broken-nose moment. I wonder if there's anyone who still doesn't get it? He's fucking brilliant.

Speaking to a very, very casual wrestling fan friend yesterday and he mentioned the sexual assault stuff briefly, before saying "Who's the guy in AEW? Orange? I love that guy! He's SOOOOO good"

Like @Supremo, I'm shocked if people aren't on board with OC. If my friend who couldn't tell you who any current mainstream champions are loves him, and gets it, that's all I need to know.

Edit - sexual assault not related to OC. It was just how the conversation of wrestling came about. 

Edited by iPumaPants

22 hours ago, tiger_rick said:

Big win for NXT this week (786k to 633k). Not sure why as there's been no discussion on here for me to read but it's a great result for them. AEW was a drab show last week and nothing much advertised to grab anyone which I'd suspect is the reason for their big drop.

AEW seem to go in a cycle ratings wise. They win comfortably for a few weeks, then their highest rated show will be a dud show and they drop the next week, inevitably the week they lose is usually a really good show.

Be interesting to know if viewers are actually choosing one over the other. Are they even the same viewership? If someone doesn't bother with AEW one week is it because they're watching NXT or are they watching something different entirely?

The immediate announcement of the Great American Bash puts a bad taste in my mouth. NXT went from being the exciting development show to now where the only purpose of its existence is to try and fuck over AEW. Just another thing to add to the ever growing pile of shit on WWE's doorstep for me.

3 hours ago, LaGoosh said:

Be interesting to know if viewers are actually choosing one over the other. Are they even the same viewership? If someone doesn't bother with AEW one week is it because they're watching NXT or are they watching something different entirely?

There doesn't seem to be a massive crossover. They generally rise and fall together. AEW have had a few big wins but generally it's been pretty close and the trends are similar for both. This week AEW dropped by well over 100k viewers but NXT was only up marginally. The demographs tend to suggest they've got a different core audience too with NXT's skewing older.

The way ratings are measured is soo small and out of date in how it’s done it really surprises me how much it’s broken down in general chats  about whether a show was a good watch or not. Especially when most of here know there’s many watching through non live tv means.

To me AEW is a six outta ten most weeks and a decent early morning watch. There’s not much really exciting me at the moment, but nothing offending me either. 

1 hour ago, Louch said:

The way ratings are measured is soo small and out of date in how it’s done it really surprises me how much it’s broken down in general chats  about whether a show was a good watch or not. Especially when most of here know there’s many watching through non live tv means.

This is, to an extent, my view also. Dynamite is offered through various avenues, as is much of WWE programming, and so live television ratings aren't the big thing they were in 1998-2001.

However, it does kinda put a spotlight on the general interest in the product, and it's quite fun to see who wins the 'Wednesday Night War' on a battle by battle basis. 

AEW, to me, for the most part, has been the most enjoyable wrestling television show put out since Lucha Underground. It's my jam. It has bit and pieces that are of less interest to me, but overall, I think the product is better than anything else being offered. 

That opinion will differ from person to person, but a dip in television ratings won't stop people watching it in whichever way they watch it.

2 hours ago, Louch said:

Who said otherwise? Ratings normally reflect the competition, the previous show or what is advertised. 

I didn’t realise that Fyter Fest was taking over Dynamite for two weeks, that’s exciting, some matches I’d quite like to see on those cards. I assume that means it will still be on ITV Hub?

2 hours ago, HarmonicGenerator said:

I didn’t realise that Fyter Fest was taking over Dynamite for two weeks, that’s exciting, some matches I’d quite like to see on those cards. I assume that means it will still be on ITV Hub?

I would assume it’s the same situation as what Bash at the Beach was at the start of the year, i.e themed episodes of Dynamite as opposed to two shorter PPVs-type shows.

Im looking forward to both nights of it, but have they said what’s happening with the World title match yet due to Moxley’s potential COVID scenario? Or are they hoping that he’ll be good to go as a couple of weeks will have passed.

There’s been some stuff said about him on line “jeopardising” the match despite him not being the one to test positive, but he’s absolutely right to not compete,  same as Reigns was

3 hours ago, tiger_rick said:

Who said otherwise? Ratings normally reflect the competition, the previous show or what is advertised. 

Sorry rick, I don’t know what point that ratings are so Poorly recorded that they are pretty worthless in accuracy that you are making with this? 

22 minutes ago, Louch said:

Sorry rick, I don’t know what point that ratings are so Poorly recorded that they are pretty worthless in accuracy that you are making with this? 

Ratings, however they are recorded, are used to negotiate TV deals, to dictate and charge advertising rates and to justify the renewal or cancellation of some shows altogether. They're not the be all and end all but the fact that they are that important yet somehow unworthy of discussion on a forum full of nonces and humble wrestling fans seems crazy.

22 minutes ago, quote the raven said:

The lucha bro’s are totally wasted together. The sooner pentagon turns on his brother the better 

They're a great tag team. AEW haven't done a huge amount with them. I do really enjoy both as singles guys but I get why there might not have been room for them initially. I'd rather they waited until they really want to invest in them.

2 hours ago, tiger_rick said:

Ratings, however they are recorded, are used to negotiate TV deals, to dictate and charge advertising rates and to justify the renewal or cancellation of some shows altogether. They're not the be all and end all but the fact that they are that important yet somehow unworthy of discussion on a forum full of nonces and humble wrestling fans seems crazy.

Is there any other show on tv that they are discussed the way they are in wrestling, when they have the same power over everything broadcast? I can’t think of, nor have seen any, Except when things are cancelled, not week on week 

According to the Talk is Jericho podcast, Dr Luther was the original plan for the Exalted One, then the idea was for Marty Scurll to be unveiled, then Matt Hardy before settling on Brodie Lee. There’s no wonder the storyline was such a mess to start with, but thank fuck they didn’t go with Luther.