MPDTT

The AEW Wednesday Night Dynamite Thread

11 hours ago, Snitsky's back acne said:

Do adults actually buy these shirts?

Some of them look more like band shirts so I don’t mind those, plus I look pretty sexy regardless so I wear whatever takes my fancy.

Though the actual point of my post was that in storyline the Inner Circle boys over ordered on their Stampede Champs shirt because of course they expected to win but now that have a shit load of shirts that they need rid of. So having them 50% off on the store is a nice little detail IMO.

I didn't think that main event segment was as bad as I'd read. The Inner Circle stuff would have been way better in front of a crowd but it was OK. Jake Hager was a riot. Jericho referencing his previous with Tyson was subtle. Of course if he'd explained it, they'd have got more stick for referencing WWE, while being subtle gets them stick for referencing an angle no-one remembers. So no winning here. The actual angle wasn't badly done either. I'd agree with previous points made though that it was too close to the Tyson/McMahon/Austin angle from '98 so it looked like a rip off and I've also had my fill of massive pull apart brawls. WWE only did another terrible one on Monday. Didn't need another one by Wednesday.

I'm not sure what the goal is here. If it's a Jericho/Tyson match then that's a pretty big deal. If not, I think I'd have not bothered, even for a bit of pub and some YT clicks.

Watched the full show last night, and yeah, it was a definite comedown from the high of the PPV. I get that it makes sense for the follow-up shows to be a cool-off, setting up the next set of angles and matches, but this did seem thrown-together and low-energy.

You cannot have staredowns in lockdown shows if you don't have commentators talking and hyping over it to cover the dead air. Bucks/FTR, Mox/Cage and Tyson/Jericho all had moments that were left feeling awkward because the guys on the desk went quiet, either having nothing prepared to say or waiting for one of the others to chime in.

Opener was fine for the most part. Hardy's version switching could have done with snappier cutting. I didn't recognise his attire - it looked more like his Smackdown AJ Styles-like gear before he headed to Impact. The image of early Matt that springs to mind is his home photos with neon tights and massive ski shades, which would have been fun if he'd gone for that and come face-to-face with Janela. If Isaiah Casidy really did get lost when Marq Quen got injured, then I'm disappointed vets like the Bucks and Hardy couldn't pick up the slack, but as an ad hoc face vs face trios match, there wasn't any clear structure to fall back on, I suppose.

As I said before, I love the Butcher and Blade's new look. As long as Butcher keeps the monocle for his wrestling, that'll be grand. I hope we get to play "spot the retro T" in Butcher's background appearances. He looked boss in his aviators and "Damn I'm Good" Ole tee on Twitter.

FTR (love how they've taken back control of that acronym) need to make that truck their entrance. With a theme and with a live crowd, they'll look the business. I can see them being good foil for most of AEW's tag division, although I'll be interested to see how their mauling style works as the faces they'll inevitably start off as.

A solid squash for Cage, but nothing that tells me much about him. Compare this pairing to Jake and Archer when they first arrived, and within a week, there was a reason for them to be together, a clear goal in mind, intrigue and tension. I don't know if there's been anything happening on Dark, but all I've seen from Tazz is some commentary spots, two Technique with Tazz vignettes, and him getting in a grump because Darby brushed off his stuttering attempt at advice. I don't know why he's got it in for Moxley, why he picked Cage, or who Cage even is. At the moment, it's very much a "hey! You recognise these guys, right?" Tazz fluffed his lines AGAIN. If he's going to attempt to pass his catchphrase to Cage, I can't wait for Cage to start threatening to "set the pigeons loose".

Cody cut a decent promo, but his insistence that he's just the same as anyone else on the roster, and, in this case, that he wasn't high on the list of people Tony Khan "called" comes across as disingenuous to me considering everyone knows him and the Bucks were the driving forces behind AEW, and he is still an EVP. As far as I am concerned, Cody will always be the AEW establishment, so I think he should avoid referencing how "hard" he's had it and focus on proving himself to the naysayers who doubt his ability. Maybe that's me misinterpreting the content based on my smark knowledge.

A lot of filler matches in general. The only pretapes I recall seeing, even less than 24 hours later, were minute-long recaps or picture-in-picture highlights from the PPV. It might have only been three days since the PPV, but being on lockdown with physical distancing restrictions, I'd've hoped they'd be in the routine of keying up lengthier video spots to break up the shows and fill in the runtime without needing to gather everyone together. It felt like a show where they were throwing everyone out there to have matches because they had no content ready. I'm also failing to see the benefit of binning off weeks of recorded material in favour of going live.

Main event angle was a letdown. They could've done so much more with the after-effects of the Stampede than just Ortiz being deaf and Sammy carrying a crutch around that he clearly didn't need. Instead, we got prop comedy flattened by the dead crowd. And yes, I agree with the previous posters that legit fighters really seem to struggle with the angle side of things, chatting over everything and burying any potentially cool moments. I also think Tyson has the Bruce Willis problem of going bald early and therefore looking similar to his youthful self many years later. He looks great in sparring videos and standing there posing, but as soon as he walks and moves, you can see his aged flat-footedness and dewy eyes. I'd be amazed if this was building to a match, even a worked boxing match, and if it was, then I really hope Jericho can hold it together.

Not great.

Edited by CavemanLynn

1 hour ago, CavemanLynn said:

FTR (love how they've taken back control of that acronym) need to make that truck their entrance. With a theme and with a live crowd, they'll look the business. I can see them being good foil for most of AEW's tag division, although I'll be interested to see how their mauling style works as the faces they'll inevitably start off as.

It's amazing what a difference it made to have them actually driving in, rather than showing them parked up, then moving the car carefully forward.

On 5/29/2020 at 11:44 AM, CavemanLynn said:

A solid squash for Cage, but nothing that tells me much about him. Compare this pairing to Jake and Archer when they first arrived, and within a week, there was a reason for them to be together, a clear goal in mind, intrigue and tension. I don't know if there's been anything happening on Dark, but all I've seen from Tazz is some commentary spots, two Technique with Tazz vignettes, and him getting in a grump because Darby brushed off his stuttering attempt at advice. I don't know why he's got it in for Moxley, why he picked Cage, or who Cage even is. At the moment, it's very much a "hey! You recognise these guys, right?" Tazz fluffed his lines AGAIN. If he's going to attempt to pass his catchphrase to Cage, I can't wait for Cage to start threatening to "set the pigeons loose".

He doesn’t have to ‘have it in’ for Moxley. Cage has a title shot and Taz (or is it Tazz? Which spelling are they going with?) was stating intent.

Taz mashing his words a bit didn’t really bother me. It was still a solid promo. I did expect him to go after Darby or explain their relationship a bit better though, it feels like there are a number of loose threads that they need to tie up.

Edited by RedRooster

The revival names are so terrible  FTR is fine. But Cash Wheeler is one of the worst names I’ve ever heard and Dax Harwood is only slightly better. I howled laughing when Excalibur said their names even though I already knew.

Its probably one of those things ill be used to in a few weeks and i won’t notice, but right now it’s just brutal.

Edited by Yakashi

You make it seem Dash Wilder was a great name?

36 minutes ago, RedRooster said:

He doesn’t have to ‘have it in’ for Moxley. Cage has a title shot and Taz (or is it Tazz? Which spelling are they going with?) was stating intent.

Taz mashing his words a bit didn’t really bother me. It was still a solid promo. I did expect him to go after Darby or explain their relationship but better though, it feels like there are a number of loose threads that they need to tie up.

Maybe I've been spoiled by Jake Roberts, but it's absolutely a problem if AEW have IRL employed him to talk and Cage has kayfabe employed him to talk, and he can't talk. They're not fixing him in post, like on Smackdown. I get that the pandemic means they've got to find ways to keep the main stars busy while keeping the money feuds off the table, so a certain amount of hotshotting is going to be involved. But turning a good guy commentator with growing beef with a cruiserweight talent into a heel manager going after the heavyweight belt is too whiplash for me. The Fyter Fest bout will no doubt be decent, with Mox working with Cage's space age offence after his worked shoot with Hager and WWE brawl with Brodie. The start has been a damp squib for me so far.

I'm sure FTR's ring names are a mix of Nascar heroes and their kids' names. Dax and Cash is catchier than their full ones, even if they sound like side characters in Sonic Chaotix.

Finally got round to fully watching Double or Nothing as well as this past weeks Dynamite last night.

Not much else that I feel like a can add to DoN that hasn't been said already, but I thought it was an OK show overall, but I doubt that I'll go back and watch it again. I fell asleep watching Rose/Shida so had to try again, only to fall asleep again although not for as long the second time. I caught the end on the second go-round, but I'm not going to try for a third time just to say that I've seen all of the match. Moxley/Lee was a decent enough brawl, and while there were bits in Stadium Stampede that I really liked and bits that I didn't, you can't say that it wasn't entertaining. I didn't realise it had been pre-taped until P&P started doing the stuff with Matt in the pool.

Part of me feels like AEW could put on some really enjoyable PPVs if they can get them down to around the 3hr mark. You could've easily cut off 5 minutes of Jungle Boy v MJF, sack off Shawn Spears v Dustin completely by just doing it on Dynamite and that Ladder match sure as hell didn't need to go nearly 30 minutes. Speaking of the Ladder Match, and I know they said on commentary that they were honourable competitors, but in kayfabe terms SCU are a pair of fucking idiots for not getting it over and done with in the first few seconds. I did quite Taz being Brian Cage's Gedo though, just stick a flat cap on him.

I did have a look at what others thought of the show, and Jesus Christ the gatekeeping for AEW is fucking ridiculous at times. "holy shit! what a show! 5 MOTY candidates right there" - fuck right off!

As for Dynamite, was a bit underwhelmed by FTR's debut but I do like them so I'm willing to just put it down as a dodgy angle. Is Colt Cabana joining the Dark Order? I'm sure his mum cares but I can't imagine anybody does.

That final segment though. I've come to like Jericho more since he joined AEW, but he still drops a bollock every now and again by doing something that he thinks is hilarious, while it goes over everybody elses heads. Even the nichiest of niches would struggle to tell you who Marc Anthony was in 2020. Fucking state of Tyson, is he punch-drunk? normal drunk? I had to lookup what Jericho was referring to as well, I've no memory of that angle ever happening. Speaking of state of people, who the fuck was the guy in Tyson's crew with the facepaint?

That pull-apart could've been alot more effective if you didn't have Isiah Kassidy grinning from ear to ear throughout it

Edited by WyattSheepMask

2 hours ago, CavemanLynn said:

Maybe I've been spoiled by Jake Roberts, but it's absolutely a problem if AEW have IRL employed him to talk and Cage has kayfabe employed him to talk, and he can't talk. They're not fixing him in post, like on Smackdown. I get that the pandemic means they've got to find ways to keep the main stars busy while keeping the money feuds off the table, so a certain amount of hotshotting is going to be involved. But turning a good guy commentator with growing beef with a cruiserweight talent into a heel manager going after the heavyweight belt is too whiplash for me.

As a wrestler, Taz(z) used to cut a great promo, and I think there’s potential in the partnership. I’ll admit that I do find it odd to see him in a managerial role rather than behind the commentary desk, but he’ll be OK.

The AEW roster is starting to feel a bit crowded though. I hope that doesn’t put them off signing Rusev, who I genuinely would like to see in this company. Rusev as a surprise challenger to Cody one week would be a lot of fun. 

49 minutes ago, RedRooster said:

Rusev as a surprise challenger to Cody one week would be a lot of fun. 

Is the Handsome Rusev name a thing or just UKFFese? I would love him to pop out of a cake in a tiny bow tie and destroy someone. "Hello Coooody!"

Sidenote: Spotted that Sammy vs golf cart has made the Dynamite title video, neon explosions and everything. 9 3/4 stars.

There appears to be a big shout on Twitter for Cody Rhodes to face Matt Tremont?

Just wondered if anyone on here would like to see that match & do they think it could happen?