MPDTT

The AEW Wednesday Night Dynamite Thread

I was always, and still am, in the middle. Never got on board with the shills' opinion that this was going to be the best thing since sliced WCW and never understood the sad fucks who were praying for it to fail, so they could say they told us so.

I think it's been a good year overall for them. The first PPV was superb and was always going to be hard to match, let alone top, so the next couple of specials being very meh was understandable. They made a lot of mistakes early though allowing some utter tripe to be on the shows. As we've been saying all year though and others have said already recently, they do seem to learn quickly what stuff is absolutely dogshit and have tightened up quickly. The Dark Order stuff is probably the major exception.

The Coronavirus stuff came at a really bad time because after a rough period of TV before Xmas last year, I thought they were putting out a superb product week on week earlier this year. Obviously we all love the handsome bastard that is Hangman Page but up and down the card, you had good acts who were getting over and heading into that proposed Blood and Guts match, things were looking really rosy. It's taken a bit of hit since then which is understandable. That they've pulled off some really memorable stuff in the midsts of this lockdown is credit to their creativity. I still don't think they should have been running shows though, same as WWE, but they've made a better fist of it.

The next year will be even more interesting. As entertaining as they've been, they've not showed any real growth in TV numbers. Some consistency but not improvement. I've no idea what they were doing on PPV but across the board, they'd ordinarily be looking to grow TV ratings, PPV buys and attendances a well as improve their commercial output. In the current climate though, I think they'll be happy to just be alive, viable and still on TNT by the end of 2021.

In the ring, I've been most impressed with their ability to get guys like Hangman, Sammy, Darby Allin and OC over. They've made good acquisitions like Archer, Santana and Ortiz, they've made me interested in Hager and even Spears for one match, and they've not over-used some of the guys who just weren't working like Janela and Havoc. They can improve loads in their quality control but I'd take the fuck ups we've seen from them over the complete control and lack of spontaneity in WWE we've had for the last few million years.

7/10 for me.

Dynamite is the only time I've ever bothered to consistently watch wrestling weekly tv, not much more I can say than that! Big up Fite TV for their coverage, all for just 3 quid or so per month. 

One thing that particular stands out about AEW is just how much fun everyone seems to be having when working there. The Inner circle comedic stuff especially, they all look like they're having a blast and that really radiates through the screen.

Hard to argue that that it’s been anything less than a successful first year even when you factor in how everything has been for the last couple of months.

Chris Jericho was an absolute laughing stock 18 months ago. Now he’s consistently entertaining and has a great pairing with an up & coming talent in Sammy Guevara as well as the rest of the Inner Circle.

There are still things they do that I’m not particularly enamoured with, and early on they were guilty of putting matches on that had too going on and going far too long and the less said about that Omega/Moxley match the better. But, as has been mentioned, they seem more open to criticism and changing things, or in some cases like the Nightmare Collective, dropping them completely.

The big worry going in was that The Elite has conned a billionaire into finding their own personal vanity project for them and their mates. That’s something that I’m still not totally convinced isn’t the case, but at the same time it could’ve been far worse.

Edited by WyattSheepMask

You know what can determine just how well they're doing? How many of us would buy a sticker album if they brought one out tomorrow?

I don't have much more too add except they were starting to slide down a slippery slope with the Dork Order, Nightmare Collective and the dreadful womens division amongst other slip ups with the "internal struggle" until Tony supposedly called an audible near the start of the year and set things straight again.

But yeah, overall I've enjoyed the shows more than anything since the HogOff era of TNA (aside from LU but they're in their own world).

43 minutes ago, WyattSheepMask said:

The big worry going in was that The Elite has conned a billionaire into finding their own personal vanity project for them and their mates. That’s something that I’m still not totally convinced isn’t the case, but at the same time it could’ve been far worse.

Well it’s making money and the billionaire is hands on and having the time of his life. For it to be a con you would have to look at someone who’s come off worse for AEW existing.

As for a sticker book, I would definitely get one for my kid as long as he knew he wasn’t allowed to touch it 

46 minutes ago, WyattSheepMask said:

Don't think that's remotely true. Not that Tony Khan isn't naive but he's right on board with it. It's worth any amount of money to hang out with wrestlers and play out his fantasies. I think it's an ideal combo really. Billionaire willing to spend some money and a bunch of dudes not arsed about working for WWE.

Also helps that he's business savvy and got all of his ducks lined up.

I don't think that he's as naive as people think he is, just willing to give things a chance but smart enough to see or be talked into seeing when something isn't working. The Dark Order will probably be the next thing dropped or massively overhauled over the next few weeks.

The Nightmare Collective would have probably gone on for a year in TNA complete with about 200 turns and swerves.

Saying that though The Natural Nightmares are also pretty naff imo and feels like they are just throwing Brandi a bone. If anything "nightmare" needs fucking off in general and I'm sick of the word.

I'm actually open to Dustin taking QT under his wing but the whole nightmare (that word again) connection just puts me right off.

Oh yeah Marko Stunt did the forced kiss spot on Dark this week. Ugh someone backstage seems to like that horribly dated spot and someone needs to have a word.

Little Marko doing it doesn't make it funny (thought he was just going to do that shitty dance at first) and he needs binning off. Getting proper fuck off heat with me now.

I do like using indie talent as jobbers (though some are a little too competitive for my taste) and it greatly helps to establish an actual pecking order. Hope it continues post pandemic.

Well that turned into a bit of a ramble.

2 minutes ago, The King Of Swing said:

Oh yeah Marko Stunt did the forced kiss spot on Dark this week. Ugh someone backstage seems to like that horribly dated spot and someone needs to have a word.

I was just coming on here to post about this. Following a cracking PPV and a lot of optimism around the future of AEW, there's nothing like a bit of sexual assault (from a babyface!) to bring you back down to earth in remembering just how out of touch this shit is at times.

While AEW isn't perfect, the show has been entertaining enough to keep me watching on a semi-regular basis which is quite an achievement in 2020 tbh. I haven't watched any of the PPV's mind, but am happy enough watching the weekly stuff on ITV4.

What I like about it most it, pre-Coronavirus of course, is that the show has that big time feel to it. It has enough big names and held in such sized arenas that it feels major league in a way where I can happily discard of the WWE altogether without feeling that I'm missing out on anything substantial.

Even when TNA was in its pomp, the size of the Impact Zone immediately stood out and looked a bit bush league if you were used to watching RAW every week. AEW doesn't feel like a step down in terms of production etc, and is also willing to take more risks and chances with the TV presentation in a way that the WWE has doggedly refused to over recent years, much to the chargrin of many fans.

Still feel that many of the matches are too spotty and tag matches, in particular, look way too phoney to be taken seriously. But other than that, its turned out much better than I initially hoped.

But notwithstanding that, the crowds at the arenas are inherently less annoying than I'd anticipated and while some dislike the commentary, I quite like the reassuring and homely tones of Jim Ross and Schiavone.

Plus, most storylines don't make me feel like my intelligence is being insulted as opposed to what's being presented on the other side more often than not.

Edited by garynysmon

Watching Dark and why the hell is Nakazawa's attire falling apart? Both his tights and kneepads are ripped to shreds and he looks like a right twat, is his boy Omega taking all his money for himself?

Imagine being so low in the pecking order that you can't even beat Nakazawa.

Two guys fighting over who is the biggest loser in AEW is pure garbage, thankfully it's only stinking Dark up at the moment.

Marko Stunt forcing a kiss was lame and unnecessary. Looking forward to his inevitable match with Brian Cage though, that should be all kinds of fun

Yeah the Stunt bit wasn't great at all, would have been better just having Lucha walk away with her on his shoulders so she couldn't get involved. 

I'd like the who's the biggest loser storyline but I can't work out if Cutler is a heel or face and both their promo work needs a lot of training. I guess that's what something like Dark can be used for. 

The Nakazawa gear breaking apart was all a bit weird too. 

Jeez that final segment was messy. It had a lot of the elements of a memorable segment, but without laughter from a live crowd (couldn’t the ringside wrestlers have faked it?) the jokes felt awkward as fuck.

Starting what presumably is a feud between Jericho and Tyson in the way that they did is plain odd. Basing it around a barely remembered moment that they can’t show footage from is strange. Jericho and Tyson at all out is certainly intriguing, but Tyson is a convicted rapist and booking him in any way goes against the progressive values AEW likes to champion.

The Britt Baker promo also suffered from the lack of an audience. They’d have been better off taping it in her surgery or something as the material was decent. I hope she challenges for the Women’s title at All Out, and the Shida victory is building towards a lengthy Britt Baker title reign.

Taz’s promo was solid, and Cody’s open challenge should be fun, particularly if they bring in outside wrestlers.

The battle royale was messy and probably isn’t the kind of thing you should do during a pandemic. 

All in all it was a mixed show that would likely have been better in front of a live crowd, or if more of the in ring segments were taped elsewhere.

14 minutes ago, RedRooster said:

but Tyson is a convicted rapist and booking him in any way goes against the progressive values AEW likes to champion.

If you wanted to play devils advocate, I suppose you could theoretically argue that a truly progressive company believes in rehabilitation and Tyson served his time and paid his debt to society for his crime. Not saying I agree, but I suppose that might be the rationale if they had to defend it.

It's probably a moot point though, Tyson has long-since been re-accepted into the bosom of the mainstream and his past crimes are ignored on a widespread, near ubiquitous scale. 

The angle was derivative shite though, and does nothing for me personally. I have very much enjoyed Jericho's AEW run, and if anyone can make something good out of this, it will be him, but essentially re-running an old WWF angle years later, in an empty arena, with an ageing irrelevant Mike Tyson is not a great start.