MPDTT

The AEW Wednesday Night Dynamite Thread

The Broken stuff will only really work if it exists in it's own little bubble away from the likes of Jericho at the top of the card. It immediately gets exposed as lame the second it leaves it's daft self-contained world and we're all supposed to pretend it's nothing more than a dumb laugh. It's a comedy gimmick.

Edited by ColinBollocks

1 hour ago, Supremo said:

It’s no wonder Jericho wasn’t happy with the segment. You’ve got one of the greatest minds for what works in the business in Jericho and then a lad in Matt who’s coming up with the type of shit you’d find written in the back of a teenage goth’s exercise book....

.....If fucking teleporting is the first thing Matt wants to do, suggesting it’s one of his better ideas, can you even imagine the shit he’s probably been pitching to Vince? 

I don't think it's been mentioned in this thread (although iPuma above explains a little bit about the rushing of the segment) but according to Jericho on his YouTube Q&A type thing the other day, the segment was his own idea. Could be nonsense of course, but that's what he said, in particular in terms of the teleport stuff. Personally I thought it was funny as a one-off, but not so much for Matt Hardy but because of Jericho's reaction to it all. Trying to keep a straight face, indulging in Matt's nonsense, and keeping calm about the whole thing as long as he could. As it's returning a favour for the Young Bucks, they can easily explain it as a one-off, then maybe use Matt in other ways. Here's hoping.

Edited by Mr.Showtime

I get what they're trying to do in terms of getting Matt over as a top tier signing, but he's just not.

Did he have more to offer than what WWE had him do towards the end of his run? Sure, he's a solid hand and could've been used, but he's never been a main event talent.

There's a reason why Jeff was always the solo star.

2 minutes ago, DavidB6937 said:

I get what they're trying to do in terms of getting Matt over as a top tier signing, but he's just not.

I know plenty will disagree with this, because WCW and TNA bastardised it as a concept this past couple of decades, but when you have someone come in fresh with talent and name recognition, you absolutely should be presenting them as a top tier signing and getting the steam out of a top feud before they drop down the card. It doesn't have to be long term and you certainly don't have to put them over your current roster, which I think was always the biggest problem with both those previously mentioned. Along with really egregious stuff like Brutus beefcake headlining Starrcade and Jeff Jarrett being WCW champion.

But certainly in the short term, if you get handed a fresh feud on a plate, you use it. They're doing that with Archer well and sort of with Hardy, although I'm not sure this isn't only being dragged out because they couldn't do Wargames.

A bigger problem is debuting Hardy and Luke Harper at the same time. They should have held one of them back. Not only can they not both go into important slots but they've nothing really for Harper beyond this Vince parody stuff. He should have been coming straight into a feud with Moxley or Cody while people care. Not messing about with SCU. Anyone can do that.

They are dammed if they do and dammed if they don’t with the Broken stuff. I’ve said before that I can’t imagine he has been sat on the sidelines desperate to recreate what he did in TNA years ago. But if they don’t get some steam out of it before going in a different direction they will have missed a trick. 
Play this for a while, get what they can from it and let Hardy go in a new direction. Especially if Jericho helps him reinvent himself, there is all the potential in the world for Hardy to add something of value 

I think half the trouble is that Matt finally found a gimmick that got him over as much as Jeff and he is stuck trying to maintain that level of popularity. 

1 hour ago, tiger_rick said:

A bigger problem is debuting Hardy and Luke Harper at the same time.

I disagree, though largely because of problems of their own making - they'd dropped so many hints that the Exalted One might be Matt Hardy that I think it was a good idea to have him come in on the same show, that way anyone who was hoping for him and let down doesn't leave empty-handed. 

The problem with the Broken gimmick is that it just doesn't gel with most of what else they do, and they need to tweak it until it does. It was at its best in Impact because it was allowed to be almost entirely self-contained, and at its worst in WWE when it was a bit of tacked on window dressing to whatever match was having on TV that week - he was, mostly, the same wrestler he was before, only his music started with a silly laugh now.

If AEW can find a suitable middle ground for him, it could work. If they indulge him too much, it won't. 

1 hour ago, BomberPat said:

If AEW can find a suitable middle ground for him, it could work. If they indulge him too much, it won't. 

This is how I feel. I get that AEW want people to explore their own creativity, and say their own words, run their own gimmicks, etc, but it's a weekly episodic TV show, and the Broken Matt stuff doesn't fit at all with what they've been doing, and not in a good way. The teleportation stuff is (hopefully) going to be short lived, as they can't get away with that with a crowd. I get that they wanted to use the lack of crowd, but it was shit and they have to know that.

AEW management/agents need to be more involved in the direction of gimmicks. Sure, have Broken Matt come in, but does it need to be "I'M MAGIC!" bullshit? Absolutely not. 

e5xkoE6.jpg

Starts on next week’s Dynamite, so presumably participants will be announced this week. Final to be held at Double or Nothing in May (assuming it still goes ahead)

Edited by WyattSheepMask

They're still doing Wednesdays live for as long as possible, but they've also taped a bunch of extra matches that they'll use to cobble together shows if and when they can't film any more.

A secondary title is great news. I'm really hoping they put it on Darby Allin.

42 minutes ago, The King of Old School said:

I was hoping they would leave the tournament until crowds are allowed back in the arena.

That was my first thought when I saw it this morning. Annoying seeing something potentially interesting on these pointless shows.