MPDTT

The AEW Wednesday Night Dynamite Thread

15 minutes ago, LaGoosh said:

Not really. Clearly current circumstances are forcing them to work with what little they have. The reality is that these empty arena stripped back shows are just going to be pretty shite no matter what they do.

Yeah I think we have to give them the benefit of the doubt at the moment. In fact, I'd rather they did stuff like this now, and save the decent feuds for when they're back on the road.

It's a shame WWE can't do that really as it's Mania season.

1 hour ago, LWOLeN said:

Moxley vs Swagger for the World Title

Matt Hardy vs Jericho

‘WCW mistakes’ are slipping in.

I think that's a bit of an extreme proclamation after one bad episode in an empty arena setting. 

7 hours ago, DEF said:

Tony is painfully exposed without Excalibur (and I love the guy). But he shouldn't be in that position. 

Under normal circumstances I might agree, but these are far from normal circumstances. I understand the decision to rotate the announcers/keep JR and him underlying health conditions off TV. I don't think they'd have had him in this position if it wasn't for coronavirus. 

57 minutes ago, DavidB6937 said:

The Hardy stuff has a time and a place but this is definitely starting to live up to my original fears of it not really fitting into AEW. I really admire the guy wanting to be creative but yeah, it's a really weird spot for him to slip into.

I suspect the segment would have worked better in front of an audience, but in that empty arena setting it just felt odd. His 'new theme song' line felt like it was pulled from a primary school playground, it was awful and painfully awkward. 

I did enjoy Vanguard 1 spying on Nick Jackson, and Jericho asking him(?) to join The Inner Circle, but that was the peak of the Hardy involvement in that show. 

If Brodie Lee's gimmick ends up being 'real life Vince McMahon' it just isn't going to work. That said, there's something slightly meta about pretending to be an out-of-touch old man, while being part of that terrible vignette. 

Overall it was an absolutely painful show to watch, but AEW has been so strong recently that I can forgive it. They've already shown that they are willing to tweak and dump things that don't work (ie. The Nightmare Collective) and I have faith that they'll do that if Hardy and Brodie Lee continue to stink up the show. 

Edited by RedRooster

Worst episode they have ever done, which is a real shame. Not having the wrestlers at ringside made a big difference and showing them backstage was just distracting in a bad way. The Jake bit was really good, they should have more like that.

Too many matches that meant nothing, which is mad because they need to fill up time. They should get everyone on the roster to send in videos of them doing talking head stuff to build these exhibition matches, keeps the guys at home relevant and would fill time a lot better. AEW are brilliant at hype videos, they must fall back on this soon. 

They should encourage the roster to shoot their own vignettes from home as well. Not everyone’s will be as good as Darby Allin, but just some light hearted stuff of Luchasaurus and Jungle Boy stuck at home or how glad Nick Jackson is to be off the road after his kid has been born.

The actual matches could probably do with backing music like an old video game. Stop it sounding so dead.

Last week was good imo but a lot of that was based around current storylines. They are clearly just trying to fill time now while everything else is on hold.

Did no one else think the way he was holding his fork was weird? That was my take away from the episode. That and the Sister Abigail fake out finish needs to go.

F2E5B118-93D6-43AE-80FE-80662F72BC8A.jpeg

Teleportin’ Matt was so shit. Similar to Moxley’s terrible match with Omega, it did the exact opposite of what they intended. I didn’t come away thinking, “wow, Vince and WWE dropped the ball not letting them do their own stuff.” I came away thinking, “no wonder they had to rein you in, you fucking dork.”

I don't know what's wrong with Austin Gunn but hopefully they never put him on TV again.

They dropped the ball not having Moxley come out in his WWE gas mask to give a lecture on social distancing. Germophobe Vince was right all along.

The trouble with Brodie is that he seems to be stuck between 2 gimmicks. One second he is spoofing Vince, the actual idea of a sit down meal and him getting enraged by his lacky's is good but he needs to cut out making it all bitter ex wwe guy. 

I would lean that way and have him as this utter lunatic, almost like the Seed Family in Far Cry. He reminded me a lot of Butcher Bill in gangs of new york during that segment, could be a nice way for the character to go. 

They need to decide what Dark Order is and go from there. 

It felt flat and forced from what I have seen. Time to go to showing best of shows for a few weeks as this now feels inappropriate. When even Russo Is calling out how stupid having the chain of events of havoc biting Cody’s fingers, who then shakes Tony’s hand and then kisses Brandi is, it’s time to take a while off when in a pandemic 

2 hours ago, UK Kat Von D said:

The actual matches could probably do with backing music like an old video game. Stop it sounding so dead.

I would actually love that. Young Bucks flying around to this shit:

https://youtu.be/yeTj3DsXiT4

* I’m fine with Brodie Lee being the exalted one, but which is it? Is he a robe wearing guy with a messiah complex, or a suit wearing tyrant? It’s one or the other. His actual wrestling gear looked better than what he had on last week. It was still awful, mind you, but better.

* Didn’t like them constantly showing the others watching in their trailer, it worked much better last week having them ringside.

* Why have I got a feeling that some nutter is going through that Vanguard One footage frame by frame, then looking on Google Earth trying to figure out where Nick Jackson lives.

* Cody was awful on commentary and I’m sad to say it, but this showed why Tony isn’t the lead commentary guy. I get that they’re working with what they have in unique circumstances, but there were a few times were he was completely lost and Cody was never going to be able to cover for him.

* ”It was in this ring when he appeared right over there” what?

Once the crowds come back they’ll at least cover up what sounds like an approaching swarm of wasps whenever that drone appears. That final segment was fucking dog shit though. That “teleporting”, fuck me.

Broken Matt is shite. You could get away with it in TNA because it was TNA, no-one was watching and no-one gave enough of a shit for the rest of the show that stuck out. But even there is got old very quickly, and it was rightly not given the time of day in WWE. The ramblings are as nonsensical as any Ultimate Warrior promo. It’s a good job that Meltzer doesn’t report quarter-hour ratings as much anymore, because I can imagine that final segment died on its arse

8 hours ago, tiger_rick said:

That YouTube video of DAMASCUS reminded me why I always thought the Broken stuff was shit.

the Broken stuff was always naff, i always thought it got over in a 'this is so bad it's good' type of way, but along the way wrestling fans wrongly decided he was some kind of genius at work.

Edited by Egg Shen

the Broken stuff worked in TNA because it was, more or less, completely self-contained. The moment it starts interacting with other members of the roster, and with the remainder of the TV show, it falls apart.

It also has the same problem that the Bray Wyatt gimmick does - it's better when there's enough ambiguity about whether it's all real or if they're just deranged/deluded, and taking it from "Matt Hardy is so jealous of Jeff's success that he's gone crazy and thinks he's a 3000 year old God" to "Matt Hardy can literally teleport" completely throws that nuance away.

The link to the Dark Order has instantly devalued Brodie Lee. It's just a mess, and as much as he had a natural wild man charisma about him when he was clubbing fools as Harper, what they've got him doing as Lee just isn't working. He's just doing Southern preacher Bray Wyatt, badly, in shitty ring gear. Just like a lot of things I don't like in AEW, I've justified all this by fantasy booking, HOPING that Lee has been convinced he's the 'Exalted One' by Evil Uno, who is the real mastermind of it all.