MPDTT

The AEW Wednesday Night Dynamite Thread

50 minutes ago, UK Kat Von D said:

They could have done without some of the old boys who are most at risk, but I know AEW aren’t putting anyone under pressure to come in (Marko Stunt was missing and Jurassic Express didn’t miss a beat at all.) I imagine Roberts and Ross would only stop going in if they were not allowed to

I can't imagine anyone's being pressured to wrestle in any of the companies at the moment.

Although there's this weird thing on social media where some people have criticised Vince for doing shows yet commended AEW. I honestly don't get that.

2 hours ago, DavidB6937 said:

Major league vs minor league? Nothing about WWE's production is minor league. Let's not exaggerate.

It's obvious that AEW decided to push their storylines etc far more than anything WWE really did on their shows.

More entertaining? Absolutely, but let's not go crazy.

You watched Raw and Smackdown and thought the presentation wasn't awful in comparison to dynamite? 

Only watched highlights so far but they seemed to make the most of a bad situation.

They made the show much more fun and interesting than WWE, while progressing storylines for future episodes/events.

Good decsion to say, next time on Dynamite and not, next week.

I really liked the opening promo from the Elite, set a nice tone for the show. Especially loved that it was Kenny Omega with the final rallying cry, best he's come across in AEW yet.

Rolled my eyes a bit when I saw them going ahead with the matches like normal, although it was an admirable effort. Tazz, JR and Jericho being loose and entertaining on commentary really helped to carry the show and the guys at ringside did their best making noise. It's so much easier when you've got a bunch of well defined characters interacting and doing their thing to bring some life to it. MJF, Cabana and Sammy G were all gold. Still though, you can't help the flat feeling with a missing crowd. But fair play on them making something watchable out of the situation. (In contrast, I watched the first five minutes of Smackdown out of curiosity. Sasha Banks and Bayley doing the same, shitty, scripted entrance and promo routine like robots to a bunch of empty seats, like it was any other show, was so unbearably awful I was done.) 

My heart sank when Brodie Lee was revealed as the Exalted One. A massive waste of him and I fear the Dark Order will just drag him down. It's like he stepped into a time machine and he's back in Chikara.

Jake Roberts and the Lance Archer video were incredible though. 

Hoping they come up with something mental for Blood and Guts and shoot it in the Hardy compound or something.

Edited by Mr Butternut Squash

I thought it was a quality effort to be fair. Some moments that would’ve been better in front of an audience obviously but they did plenty of cool stuff with that too that WWE hasn’t done.

Very much forward to seeing what they do with Harper, Archer and Broken Matt. 

Edited by AndyUK

The Hardy reveal would have been awesome with a crowd but it would have robbed us of MJF, Spears etc at ringside and also the Sammy karaoke session so it's a fair trade for me

Edited by Kamaras-Tash

Can understand people not liking the show but I'm just happy to have some new wrestling to watch. Would have been perfectly understandable if they knocked everything on the head and they may still be forced to do that in time.

For what it was I enjoyed it.

6 hours ago, DavidB6937 said:

Although there's this weird thing on social media where some people have criticised Vince for doing shows yet commended AEW. I honestly don't get that.

Look, mark, it’s like this: You’re comparing apples and oranges.

Vince isn’t our real dad AND he runs a nazi camp. He made Dean Ambrose wear a PG gas mask instead of letting him wear an eye patch and swear. Everything Vince does is bad. He should let his prisoners free so they can go home to their families instead of forcing them to be dancing monkeys at his stalag.

Everything Tony does is good, even if (to a mark) it looks like exactly the same thing that is bad if Vince does it. Vince is doing it for bad reasons, but Tony is doing it for good reasons. He’s been an Observer subscriber for 30 years and does not hold the real workers down. He’s letting the wrestlers perform and bringing entertainment in these trying times. Totally different.

23 minutes ago, King Pitcos said:

Look, mark, it’s like this: You’re comparing apples and oranges.

Vince isn’t our real dad AND he runs a nazi camp. He made Dean Ambrose wear a PG gas mask instead of letting him wear an eye patch and swear. Everything Vince does is bad. He should let his prisoners free so they can go home to their families instead of forcing them to be dancing monkeys at his stalag.

Everything Tony does is good, even if (to a mark) it looks like exactly the same thing that is bad if Vince does it. Vince is doing it for bad reasons, but Tony is doing it for good reasons. He’s been an Observer subscriber for 30 years and does not hold the real workers down. He’s letting the wrestlers perform and bringing entertainment in these trying times. Totally different.

You're the fucking worst

24 minutes ago, Kamaras-Tash said:

You're the fucking worst

I think that’s what he is going for.

I can’t imagine it is many of the same people condemning one and praising the other. The minority that would play both sides like that are just the idiots you find in any subject and Tories. There are some people dumb enough to praise Johnson for the exact things they’ll hate Corbyn for 

I thought it was a great show. Yes, they stuck to the wrestling format mostly, but they kept the energy and interest up with tight camerawork minimising shots of the empty arena and lots of character interaction in and out of matches.

The switch of the hard cam to facing the entrance was a great choice, filling the screen with movement and colour, and reminded me of the lucha TV shows, especially when the Lucha Bros were in the ring. Penta chatting shit to the ringsiders was great.

The mini storylines going on at Ringside was a lovely touch, the face heel split was clear, and it kept the time filled between matches as well as being used to segue really well between segments. It all felt much more natural with personalities reacting to the action, each other, and acknowledging the camera. Interesting that it felt like the recent ex WWE guys were the only ones stuck staring into the middle distance. Lee could've done with staring right down the camera after his (meagre, too meta) intro beatdown.

Lee's tights belong in the bin. The whole Dark Order angle is fucking cursed.

The Colt Sabian interaction was fun, and I can't help feeling Cabana would be worth having on commentary on Dark.

Another stellar Jake promo, his best so far. Archer looked much better too, with a much wilder look in his eyes. The vignette was good low rent fun. Murderhawk is a name that shouldn't work but really does.

I love Page. Great name banner. The quiet toast was cool as fuck. Bad ass but heartfelt. I fucking hate Matt Jackson.

Main was solid craic. God bless Sammy. Not sure they've fully explained the 'advantage' they kept going on about, so I must've missed something. I assume it's the first entrant order, being War Games.

Almost a damp squib ending until the music kicked in. All Delete Wrestling is a pun I can get behind.

Some great match choices for the next show, a real hardcore vibe if they can pull it all together. Really looking forward to it!

The best thing about AEW is the feuds not all existing in a bubble. 

The Inner Circle are feuding with the Elite. Hager has issues with Dustin. Sammy and Darby Allin are rivals. Moxley still wants at thd whole Inner Circle. Cody is being targeted by Archer. Cody wants to get back at MJF. Page and Matt Jackson are at each other. 

It's far more organic and helps a show like this because there's so much going on at ringside. Their antics outside the ring during matches are fun generally anyway.

I still don't love the empty arena thing but agree with the majority that this was a much better version of it.

36 minutes ago, tiger_rick said:

The best thing about AEW is the feuds not all existing in a bubble. 

Cody throwing Sammy (I think) into MJF was a great example of that. It is as though everyone remembers what is going on in their lives. The attention to details like that all come together to help the viewer believe in the angles. 
I thought Archer was going to cost Cody the match as a vehicle to push their program and protect the losers. It is refreshing how little they rely on cheap finishes to stop anything from mattering.

One plot hole I did notice was that The Elite were down a man and had to call Matt Hardy for back up, while Dustin was at ringside. Has he already got a match or a reason he can’t be in it? Hopefully Cody says he didn’t want his brother to be involved in such a dangerous match at his age which leads to other things

11 minutes ago, UK Kat Von D said:

One plot hole I did notice was that The Elite were down a man and had to call Matt Hardy for back up, while Dustin was at ringside. Has he already got a match or a reason he can’t be in it?

That’s a really good point that I hadn’t considered. I’d been expecting Page to reveal Hardy, whilst also revealing he was the person he had lined up as his surprise partner last week.

If they do Dustin/Cody again (and they should) I really would like it to be for the World title. It’s been said before but there’s a fantastic story to be told with Dustin going for his first World title. What better way to heighten that emotion than by having his brother as the champ, and perhaps Dustin’s career on the line too?