MPDTT

The AEW Wednesday Night Dynamite Thread

1 hour ago, Love-Wilcox said:

I think I can see the logic in Omega taking a step back to allow others to be built as stars. If you push him hard now then, outside of Mox and Jericho, who is he beating every week other than a bunch of nobodies. Instead you can spend the time now building guys like Page, Sammy, Luchasaurus etc and then when it's time to push Omega towards the main event he has all of these guys who the audience perceive as stars to go over which in turn helps Omega seem like a bigger deal in the long run.

I mean that might not be what they're going for but if they were then I could see some logic in that.

Fine if he is a star but he isn't. Not outside the bubble of people who have seen him before. I was a huge fan in NJPW but if I'd never seen him until AEW if be wondering why he was seen as a great. Also did Khan hire him on the basis he would be Japan Omega? 

1 hour ago, Love-Wilcox said:

I think I can see the logic in Omega taking a step back to allow others to be built as stars. If you push him hard now then, outside of Mox and Jericho, who is he beating every week other than a bunch of nobodies. Instead you can spend the time now building guys like Page, Sammy, Luchasaurus

Hmm... How exactly would Kenny Omega being presented/booked as a star rather than a mid-level geek have hurt any of those three? 

Jericho has limited time left in the ring and is clearly motivated as fuck. Mox is the same but with more years left in the ring. They are the two biggest stars and Omega has spent years battering himself in Japan. Not hard to understand why they’d let Omega take it easy for a while before having him go back to the top of the card. Nakamura had done the same, but without actually going back up the card.

Edited by UK Kat Von D

Why are people equating being booked to look like a prick with taking it easy and not smashing your body up? They’re two completely different things. From what I’ve seen Omega has booked himself to lose loads but he’s still been doing similar matches to what he used to do in Japan. Smashing his nose up in that first Jericho match, chucking himself into railings in the Pac match, doing fucking Phoenix Splashes onto the exposed wooden boards against Mox, landing face-first, this isn’t a case of Kenny, “taking it easy,” or preserving his body. It’s about him and his mates being geeks who were too scared to push themselves as the top stars out of fear of morons on Twitter accusing them of burying others.

Edited by Supremo

I didn’t watch any of his Japan stuff, so I’m just going off what everyone else here is saying about him. I was under the impression his matches hadn’t been as good or physically demanding. Is it just a case of him doing some nerdy things and not winning all the time then?

59 minutes ago, UK Kat Von D said:

Is it just a case of him doing some nerdy things and not winning all the time then?

It's not an easy thing by any means but it's certainly possible to book him a lot better than they have, keep him looking like a star BUT also not have him booked over the entire roster. He doesn't have to be the focal point every week in order to look as good as he did in Japan. Sadly not only have they failed to sell him to people that aren't aware of his previous stature, but he's fallen in the eyes of a lot who have followed him.

Could be an unpopular opinion, but I can't get over what a shit gimmick/name "Best Friends" is for a tag team featured on national TV. Always think it looks ludicrous on a tag team tournament bracket or something like that.

That is, like too much of the AEW product, its meant to be an indy "in joke" that I'm unaware of the background to.

Edited by garynysmon

I don’t get why Jericho keeps calling himself “le champion”. Is this some in joke I’m not familiar with?

It's Jericho. The man made a clipboard more popular than most the WWE roster at the time he brought that in, just one of his many quirks. 

4 minutes ago, Slapnut said:

I don’t get why Jericho keeps calling himself “le champion”. Is this some in joke I’m not familiar with?

I actually get a kick out of that.

That said, the opening match this week and the ridiculous "everyone standing around for ages to perform the multi man suplex" spot was another "modern wrestling really isn't for me" reminder.

38 minutes ago, Slapnut said:

Jerichos been giving himself nicknames for years 

55 minutes ago, garynysmon said:

I actually get a kick out of that.

That said, the opening match this week and the ridiculous "everyone standing around for ages to perform the multi man suplex" spot was another "modern wrestling really isn't for me" reminder.

I was more put off by Nick Jackson just standing in the corner watching his brother take a 2 on 1 battering from Santana & Ortiz, waiting for whatever the next spot was

In terms of stoopid multi-man spotfests, the four way tag was enjoyable enough for me. Helps when this sort of match is the opener and the only thing like it all show. It peaked with the incredible Orange Cassidy spot and kinda fizzled out after. Been pleased with how they’ve incorporated Cassidy so far, he still pops the fuck out of me. Might’ve been his funniest spot yet. 

The story with Adam Page is exactly what the Elite and the dry tag division needed. He’s been bland since he’s AEW debut, so I’m chuffed to see Hangman start to show some character and resonate and put those puppy dog eyes to use. He’s doing the conflicted drunk gimmick quite well. I’m guessing him and Omega pick up the tag straps next week and continue the story as champions. Them vs the Bucks at the next PPV where they’ll pull the trigger on the split and finally move the belts onto the Bucks. Except I’d pull a SWERVE and have Kenny snap, V-trigger the shit out of his pathetic enabler mates, and finally let him blossom into the weirdo smug prick heel he always should’ve been.

Wasn’t a big fan of Cody’s promo. Dunno if it was the way he was dressed or his big entrance wearing thin, but that’s the first time his innate heel qualities have sorta drowned out anything likeable about him.

Absolutely loved the Inner Circle backstage interview. Wish we’d see more of the group pissing about like this and looking natural together. Ortiz is a great stooge and Sammy’s turning into a tv star. Jericho dressed like some Streets of Rage baddie was awesome.

PAC vs Darby was their best tv main event yet. Can’t wait for PAC vs Moxley. Thrilling seeing Moxley become the bad boy rockstar hunk he always should’ve been.

Edited by Mr Butternut Squash