MPDTT

The AEW Wednesday Night Dynamite Thread

1 hour ago, UK Kat Von D said:

On the last show in the opening tag match we saw that Bucks are mates with Omega and Page. The Young Bucks did most the work towards the end, then Page stole the victory. He instantly started drinking which he has been doing more since his fall from grace against Jericho. Omega had the same issue coming in as the ace and falling short, but has picked himself up because he can see his mate needs him. He had his back and calmed down an issue he started against SCU and they are wrestling next week for the title. 

I think you’ve kind of proven my point, that tells me nothing about their characters. 

Say what you like about the WWE tag team division, I can tell you who Tucker and Otis are and I know what The Usos and New Day are all about. The top teams are clearly defined characters. The booking can still be atrocious, but at least the character work is there.

A similar issue exists with the women’s division. It’s essentially been a collection of bad matches so far, with very little character work outside of Brandi Rhodes.

If you like AEW in its current form then power to you. If AEW succeeds and grows in its current form then power to them. I think it’s seriously lacked in story and memorable moments. Good wrestling alone isn’t enough for me, that’s not hard to find right now.

I want to enjoy the show the way you do, believe me, but I find it incredibly frustrating.

3 hours ago, DEF said:

If you say so. It's possible I was day dreaming through his matches as the fans booed him out the building and he mucked around with the fiend

Well yes, Raw’s stories do require a bit of paying attention. 

I think the characters featured in WWE all lean towards caricatures whereas the characters presented by AEW (and others such as New Japan) are more grounded in reality. Put simply, WWE guys are superheroes whereas AEW guys are basically just athletes with quirks. Of course there's some crossover but that seems to be the main difference from where I'm sitting. I don't think one way is right or wrong but obviously some fans prefer a certain style over the other which is fair enough but I don't think it's fair to say AEW doesn't have any characters at all.

Pretty unfair to say AEW’s Kenny Omega doesn’t have a character. He’s a gamer/internet/cosplay dork who loses more than he wins and isn’t as good as he supposedly was in Japan. He’s also a shit friend, where despite being a Vice President of the company he doesn’t really do anything whenever his mates are violently attacked. Frankly, I don’t blame Adam Page for choosing booze over him.

Edited by Supremo

1 hour ago, King Pitcos said:

Well yes, Raw’s stories do require a bit of paying attention. 

Yeah if that was the case then it's absolutely on me. But I honestly don't think they evolved his character in the matches at all. It was just that the fans booed him any which way.

1 hour ago, Love-Wilcox said:

I think the characters featured in WWE all lean towards caricatures whereas the characters presented by AEW (and others such as New Japan) are more grounded in reality. Put simply, WWE guys are superheroes whereas AEW guys are basically just athletes with quirks. 

Luchasaurus, Kris 'The Alien' Statlander, The Bunny and Pentagon all say 'Hi'.

4 minutes ago, Snitsky's back acne said:

The Bunny

I mean she's not great but to say she's not an athlete is just mean.

7 minutes ago, DEF said:

Yeah if that was the case then it's absolutely on me. But I honestly don't think they evolved his character in the matches at all.

But you've admitted you weren't paying attention to them. The Bray Wyatt feud was all about Rollins going over to the dark side. It's one of the few strengths of Bray Wyatt's character, he is a great facilitator at times of corrupting an opponent and leading to a heel turn. It just usually never goes anywhere because they don't want to turn the cash cows into baddies. It was an intriguing part of Bray's feud with Cena a few years ago, where he was tempting Cena to be an absolute cunt to get the job done - but JC didn't need to. But with Rollins, Bray's plan worked, as Seth was resorting to all sorts of evil shite to survive and win the cell match. It doesn't necessarily make for a great match, but it certainly moves a man to evil.

The Braun Strowman match at Clash of Champions had elements of it as well, with Rollins having to bring out his old Authority finisher to get the job done. Even stuff in that period like the Raw match with Humberto was Seth evaluating his own hubris and humility - firstly underestimating the upstart's ability to hang with him, and then getting a bit pissed off with it and having to pull out the big guns to win, then stomping away from the ring in a mood before going back in uncertain of whether to shake the kid's hand or lamp him.

7 minutes ago, King Pitcos said:

But you've admitted you weren't paying attention to them. The Bray Wyatt feud was all about Rollins going over to the dark side. It's one of the few strengths of Bray Wyatt's character, he is a great facilitator at times of corrupting an opponent and leading to a heel turn. It just usually never goes anywhere because they don't want to turn the cash cows into baddies. It was an intriguing part of Bray's feud with Cena a few years ago, where he was tempting Cena to be an absolute cunt to get the job done - but JC didn't need to. But with Rollins, Bray's plan worked, as Seth was resorting to all sorts of evil shite to survive and win the cell match. It doesn't necessarily make for a great match, but it certainly moves a man to evil.

The Braun Strowman match at Clash of Champions had elements of it as well, with Rollins having to bring out his old Authority finisher to get the job done. Even stuff in that period like the Raw match with Humberto was Seth evaluating his own hubris and humility - firstly underestimating the upstart's ability to hang with him, and then getting a bit pissed off with it and having to pull out the big guns to win, then stomping away from the ring in a mood before going back in uncertain of whether to shake the kid's hand or lamp him.

Well not exactly. I said it's possible I wasn't paying attention more as a joke on how dull that stuff was than a statement of fact. 

13 minutes ago, DEF said:

Well not exactly. I said it's possible I wasn't paying attention more as a joke on how dull that stuff was than a statement of fact. 

In which case, "RaW dOeSn'T tElL sToRiEs" was probably a bit of a stupid thing to post when you could've just said "It was more exciting than Raw" or some such.

Also, I'm annoyed that we're several months into the show now and Kenny Omega and Chris Jericho are still using the same finisher.

3 minutes ago, King Pitcos said:

In which case, "RaW dOeSn'T tElL sToRiEs" was probably a bit of a stupid thing to post when you could've just said "It was more exciting than Raw" or some such.

Also, I'm annoyed that we're several months into the show now and Kenny Omega and Chris Jericho are still using the same finisher.

Ok I correct myself. RAW doesn't tell stories most of the time in most of their matches.

EDIT - because I was being juvenile

Edited by DEF

Just now, Snitsky's back acne said:

Except they absolutely do. 

Yeah, perhaps it's that they tell the same stories in the exact same way as they have done for so long that it feels like they don't tell stories in most of the midcard and undercard matches. I've been watching so long that there's a very good chance I'm just numb to those stories so it feels like they don't tell stories in those matches.

WWE's storytelling in their undercard matches is incredible. Well, it could be, for all I know. I'm not going to sit there and watch a Ricochet vs Mojo Rawley match to find out. 

1 minute ago, King Pitcos said:

WWE's storytelling in their undercard matches is incredible. Well, it could be, for all I know. I'm not going to sit there and watch a Ricochet vs Mojo Rawley match to find out. 

You're a smarter man than me.