Jump to content
MPDTT

The AEW Wednesday Night Dynamite Thread

Recommended Posts

21 minutes ago, IANdrewDiceClay said:

Tony Khan's been getting more hands on with the booking post Christmas, by all accounts. I knew nobody was daft enough to let the Young Bucks and Kenny Omega's vanity shite go on much longer. You can see a difference in the shows the last few weeks compared to that vomit they coughed up at the end of last year.

I haven't watched this week's show yet so my earlier point may be a bit outdated. 

But some of those tag matches since Dynamite's debut have been appalling, meaningless spot fests, so I sincerely hope that is the case.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, IANdrewDiceClay said:

Tony Khan's been getting more hands on with the booking post Christmas, by all accounts. I knew nobody was daft enough to let the Young Bucks and Kenny Omega's vanity shite go on much longer. You can see a difference in the shows the last few weeks compared to that vomit they coughed up at the end of last year.

Someone had to get a hold of the product.

Extended deal or not, there’s too much at stake to let undisciplined people (Bucks and Kenny mainly) have a laugh with a National/Worldwide company.

I, too, noticed a largely improved product from 1st January. The women’s division needs looking at wholesale and the tag division needs focus, but all is not yet lost, it would seem.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, garynysmon said:

I haven't watched this week's show yet so my earlier point may be a bit outdated. 

But some of those tag matches since Dynamite's debut have been appalling, meaningless spot fests, so I sincerely hope that is the case.

Sorry. You're out of luck there. 

But there is a bit of story in the match, with Page/The Elite.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Did Shida stiff someone and piss them off recently or something because she seems to be going really light with all her strikes atm, they look far shitter than I remember.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I thought Bash at the Beach was a vast improvement on last week. The opener was a cracking spot fest. The Jericho/Mox angle was tremendous. The kind of thing that I wouldn't show my 9 year old but if it happened when she was there her reaction would be everything you want in a angle like that. MJF tag was great because it told a story outside of the ropey mechanics. Darby Vs PAC was belting. Ok the women's tag was rubbish but even that was telling a story. So far this year Dynamite is 2-1 in my book. I'm really looking forward to next week on the cruise. Honestly I barely remember the last time I even thought RAW told a story.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, DEF said:

I thought Bash at the Beach was a vast improvement on last week. The opener was a cracking spot fest. The Jericho/Mox angle was tremendous. The kind of thing that I wouldn't show my 9 year old but if it happened when she was there her reaction would be everything you want in a angle like that. MJF tag was great because it told a story outside of the ropey mechanics. Darby Vs PAC was belting. Ok the women's tag was rubbish but even that was telling a story. So far this year Dynamite is 2-1 in my book. I'm really looking forward to next week on the cruise. Honestly I barely remember the last time I even thought RAW told a story.

I can’t agree with that, and I’d go as far as to say outside of what Jericho and anyone with Rhodes in their name are doing, you could very easily apply that comment to AEW for most of their existence. We’re several months in, and I honestly couldn’t tell you anything about who The Young Bucks or even Kenny Omega are. 

Raw, whether you like what they’re doing or not, are definitely telling stories right now. You have Seth’s rise as a heel, the Lana/Lashley/Rusev fiasco, the resurgence of Rey Mysterio. Stories that are far more obvious than what AEW is doing for me.

If you take Jericho and, to a lesser extent, Cody out of the mix, AEW hasn’t done a lot of storytelling with its main players.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah, to suggest that Raw doesn't tell stories is pretty ridiculous. Now if you'd said they haven't told good stories then you'd have a much better argument.. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ok I'm not being clear. RAW does tell a story but the way they tell a story is mostly through 20 minute monologues and maybe one of same angles they have been doing for 20 years. The matches are by and large completely inconsequential to the storys. Where as in AEW in the opening match alone they were telling a story. 

Like Seth for instance. It's not like he really told the story of turning heel over time in the ring. He got booed because he has X-Pac heat then one day they said fuck it and did two weeks of twenty minute promos and he twated Kevin Owens with a pipe. And that's one of the better stories they have told in ages. But it didn't really happen in his matches.

Edited by DEF

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, DavidB6937 said:

So your point is more that while Raw does tell stories, you don't like them or how they do them. That's fair.

Yep for sure but in the first post I really meant RAW doesn't tell a story through the matches. But basically yep that's what I meant.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Seth Rollins becoming a baddie was definitely foreshadowed in matches. You might not like it, but it was clear at least as far back as Hell in a Cell that he was fighting against the necessary changes he was going through.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, King Pitcos said:

Seth Rollins becoming a baddie was definitely foreshadowed in matches. You might not like it, but it was clear at least as far back as Hell in a Cell that he was fighting against the necessary changes he was going through.

If you say so. It's possible I was day dreaming through his matches as the fans booed him out the building and he mucked around with the fiend

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, RedRooster said:

We’re several months in, and I honestly couldn’t tell you anything about who The Young Bucks or even Kenny Omega are. 

On the last show in the opening tag match we saw that Bucks are mates with Omega and Page. The Young Bucks did most the work towards the end, then Page stole the victory. He instantly started drinking which he has been doing more since his fall from grace against Jericho. Omega had the same issue coming in as the ace and falling short, but has picked himself up because he can see his mate needs him. He had his back and calmed down an issue he started against SCU and they are wrestling next week for the title. 

8 hours ago, RedRooster said:

Stories that are far more obvious than what AEW is doing for me.

Well yes, AEW’s stories require a bit more attention. They are hardly too confusing to follow though, I don’t see how anyone can be confused about who any of the characters are on the show.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...