MPDTT

The AEW Wednesday Night Dynamite Thread

"I believe in nepotism, I believe in giving your friends jobs. I wouldn't be here if it wasn't for nepotism." - Cody Rhodes at Starrcast. Tony Khan needs to leave the dogs alone and actually put his foot down at some point. 

25 minutes ago, Accident Prone said:

"I believe in nepotism, I believe in giving your friends jobs. I wouldn't be here if it wasn't for nepotism." - Cody Rhodes at Starrcast. Tony Khan needs to leave the dogs alone and actually put his foot down at some point. 

Because Tony Khan doesn't believe in nepotism.

Last time I saw Dr Luthor, it was in that crowdfunded "Wrestling Retributio Project" that Jeff Katz did. Only to find out Jericho funded most of it and Katz was never heard from again.

Enjoyed this more than others on here. My other half and I have been watching more wrestling than usual this week, and it certainly couldn't compare to Wrestle Kingdom, but we still enjoyed the show overall. There are definitely crap bits, but even then, there are usually interesting things involved.

The opener was fun - liking Hangman's development, both like Kenny, and Private Party are just fun to watch.

Sure, the Nightmare Collective is crap, but it's Awesome Kong, and neither of us have got past 'yay, it's Awesome Kong' yet (partly because of GLOW). And the Statlander/Riho match was fun enough in the middle of all of it. Neither know nor care who Luther is, but whatever. Brandi isn't working in what she's doing, which is a shame because she's generally watchable. 

Loving the Christopher Daniels insecurity thing, and Pentagon's laugh when mocking him was actually hilarious. Interesting to see the ad break, and that Daniels is someone they trust to go out and nail a promo in the time allotted. Rhodes vs Luchas was really fun. Nasty bump near the end.

I hope there's something else going on with Dark Order. Uno looks so low-rent in his check shirt and badly-fitting jacket.

The crowd generally seemed muted, as did the ring at times. It made everything feel a little off - the crowd looked hotter than they were sounding, and they were certainly constantly making noise. That said, MJF is just a star. Makes me laugh a lot, which helps. Nice to see DDP - crap promo, but he's fun to see if it's not overdone.

The Mox/Jericho thing - certainly could have been done better, but it was signposted and obvious where it was going. Was kind of hoping he'd quit rather than be kidding, so he could legally get the car. It's nonsense, but that would have amused me rather than him 'stealing' it. 

It wasn't great, but it was fun. Didn't fast-forward anything, and what didn't work wasn't there for TOO long. It still feels like they're taking criticism on-board and making improvements overall. A small point, but the 'It's LUTHER' stuff worked much better than the 'Butcher/Blade/Bunny' bit, because at least Excalibur explained who he was enough for the audience to understand why he cared.

While the factions thing is overdone (and yeah, two cults one after the other... eesh), it was nice seeing two teams semi-naturally forming for larger women's matches that at least have a storyline.

Next week's looks pretty good - Allin vs Pac in particular.

3 hours ago, WyattSheepMask said:

He hasn’t wrestled for 2 years and before that there was a spell where he didn’t for 7 years, he’s already fucking bowed out, Jerico’s just got him a seat on the Gravy Train

Exactly - they're just milking the money mark like all wrestlers do.

Maybe it's because of that shirt. Maybe it's because of the whiskey. But I'd love for Adam Page to morph into AEW's version of Kenny Powers. Shame the lad ain't got the chops for it.

Edited by The Maestro
Dolla dollar bill's y'all

With DDP wrestling soon, Dr Luther on this show, and all the old Memphis lads showing up, I just want them to lean fully into booking like one of my EWR games five years in and give me the Dr Luther Vs Jimmy Valiant in 2020 match of my dreams.

On 1/9/2020 at 10:39 AM, Bohan said:

Reveal hidden contents

Over in NWA Strictly Business managed to recruit Scott Steiner that's the recruiting war of 2020 done right there!  All these other factions should just give up now!

It’s probably a bit late now, but could you put an NWA spoiler tag OUTSIDE of the spoiler box? I’ve not had time to watch this yet, and the last thing you expect to find in an AEW thread is spoilers for NWA Powerrr. 

As for Dynamite, I was worried the show would be shitty when they advertised Dark Order, Statlander and the Nightmare Collective for the same show, and it was. Impressively though, they manage to carry over the stink in to most of the other segments.

Edited by RedRooster

Amateur hour with their time management again. Closing angle would’ve come across so much better if it didn’t drag so much.

How long before we start getting negative chants from the AEW faithful? I don’t see how else this Brandi nonsense will stop. Only a matter of time before this shit starts eating in to Cody’s reactions too.

DDP needs to to get taken out or fuck off. 

On the positive side, it finally feels like some of the young guys are heating up with Sammy G and The Hangman doing fun character stuff.

Sammy Guevara was the one saving grace during that awkward, badly timed closing angle. He’s such a fantastic little prick. He does everything perfectly. I don’t think anyone has ever taken Dirty Deeds better, either. Looked like Mox straight up murdered him.

15 minutes ago, TildeGuy~! said:

Brian Cage has signed with AEW

His wife has denied it. So either it's not true, or it's being publcly denied so he can make a shocking appearance in the Dynamite Zone 

NO. 👏 ONE. 👏 SHOULD. 👏 SELL. 👏 FOR. 👏 MARKO. 👏 STUNT. 👏 EVER. 👏

This will continue to irrationally annoy me until the rest of the AEW roster realise how awful they make themselves look. I thought Trent had it in the early stages of that match, but no. No he did not.

Other than that and the closing segment which I ended up muting and watching in the background as soon as Moxley revealed the Inner Circle t-shirt, I enjoyed that episode. It felt like every match moved a character, an angle or a feud forward and even if the way they did it was repetitive, you can see things moving forward and building.

Page and Omega is definitely leading to something and this week continued that.

PAC wants Omega and will be a bastard until he gets him.

Christopher Daniels isn't sure if he has it anymore. The Dark Order's after him, Pentagon's not done with him.

Cody and MJF are going to end up against each other and they're building up layers.

Jungle Boy got a win.

Even if the closing segment was the most predictable thing they've done to date, Moxley and Jericho is definitely going to happen sooner rather than later.

Oh, and the Women's title match was a pile of shite as well. Why did none of that interference result in a DQ? Riho at least did a better job at using her lack of size than Marko, but the finish (I saw it as her going 'might as well' to accepting Brandi's help) made her feel way more heelish than she ever should be. 

Edited by HarmonicGenerator

For some reason it's not turned up on my virgin media catchup service yet. I've been trying to watch it all weekend.