The AEW Wednesday Night Dynamite Thread

The "it's just fake wrestling innit" argument misses the whole premise of wrestling as a business - you make money by making people believe, or at least become emotionally involved, in the in-ring stories and personalities on show, and you can't do this without establishing the internal logic of the in-ring world. Decades ago, this logic was the logic of legitimate fighting. Then more interpersonal conflicts coloured it, but the logic of actual fighting remained the same. AEW hadn't established any internal rules fully enough, whether it be the technical rules of the ring or the type of characters that inhabit it.

Honestly, I don't care if the wrestlers love it or not. I've found my favourite wrestlers treated it as a profession. Those that claimed to love it invariably end up jaded, physically beat up, and poor.

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Right people, right time, just the wrong location.

Fucking hell who’s arsed. Let people get excited about things.

For a TV Guide photoshoot promoting a new wrestling show, this is what you want to see. Not you brothers wedding reception, like those cunts above. You're selling professional wrestling. Nothing else.

Posted Images

• Awards Moderator
26 minutes ago, Jonny Vegas said:

• a ridiculous angle where a group dressed up as soldiers and rode an a tank

What?! You’re kidding. How have I not heard of this? You’d think they’d have used it as a highlight clip over the years or something.

4 minutes ago, CavemanLynn said:

The "it's just fake wrestling innit" argument misses the whole premise of wrestling as a business - you make money by making people believe, or at least become emotionally involved, in the in-ring stories and personalities on show, and you can't do this without establishing the internal logic of the in-ring world. Decades ago, this logic was the logic of legitimate fighting. Then more interpersonal conflicts coloured it, but the logic of actual fighting remained the same. AEW hadn't established any internal rules fully enough, whether it be the technical rules of the ring or the type of characters that inhabit it.

Honestly, I don't care if the wrestlers love it or not. I've found my favourite wrestlers treated it as a profession. Those that claimed to love it invariably end up jaded, physically beat up, and poor.

Nobody went along with the ridiculousness except the heels.
Bobby Heenan would say The Undertaker is monster and question whether he was human.
Gorilla would remind us that, while he may be scary and have a huge threshold for pain, he is indeed human.

Any heel manager that brought a monster out would go 'this is a sub human monster!' and the announcer or the babyface would go 'No, they're big bad mother fuckers but they're human'. It was a classic wrestling trope that worked.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, RedRooster said:

Except the difference is, even with the shittiest angle you’ve listed here, is that we’re able to say why it happened, or at the very least understand the context.

Why did Mae Young give birth to a hand? She was in a relationship with sex addict Mark Henry.

I don’t know if you are a parent yourself. But when I had sex with my wife, twice, she gave birth to little humans called babies and not just an adult hand

• Paid Members
28 minutes ago, Michael_3165 said:

Can anyone explain why they have totally devalued Omega in 2019? One of the biggest talents in 2017-18, classic matches everywhere. They have used him so horrifically and I don't understand why. Surely her should be winning and having classics all the time. 

Who is "they"? He's one of them. He's involved in everything. 

The reason seems pretty obvious. The same reason they've booked the Bucks to lose often. To show they're not going to book themselves as the only stars steamrolling the rest if the roster and creating a WCW-like feeling of desolation amongst all but a handful of stars. 

It makes complete sense. The issue isn't whether he wins or loses. It's that Omega is a weird fucker who doesn't really translate and they don't know how.

28 minutes ago, Michael_3165 said:

Can anyone explain why they have totally devalued Omega in 2019? One of the biggest talents in 2017-18, classic matches everywhere. They have used him so horrifically and I don't understand why. Surely her should be winning and having classics all the time. 

I honestly think part of it is that Omega is not the superstar that the hype would have us believe.

I think he's decent but nothing about him screams 'big star' to me and, yes, part of that is his booking but I also think he's just genuinely not 'that' guy. 

12 minutes ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

I don’t know if you are a parent yourself. But when I had sex with my wife, twice, she gave birth to little humans called babies and not just an adult hand

Yes, but if this was an AEW storyline, Mae Young’s debut would see her push the hand down to the ring in a pram as Excalibur shouts ‘it’s the hand! It’s the hand, JR!’ with no context whatsoever.

Edited by RedRooster
  • Paid Members
32 minutes ago, RedRooster said:

Yes, but if this was an AEW storyline, Mae Young’s debut would see her push the hand down to the ring in a pram as Excalibur shouts ‘it’s the hand! It’s the hand, JR!’ with no context whatsoever.

But you haven’t explained why it happened or the context. You have however explained how AEW would have dealt with it possibly 

2 hours ago, CavemanLynn said:

No one is going to believe it anymore though. The AEW audience watch it for moves and flips. They’re happy laughing along and cheering the top heel group. Cheering heels doing flips and dives. That’s where we are now. The wrestling fans that get made fun of by pitcos, that’s pretty much what we have now. Until WWE gets hot again, that’s not gonna change. 

sure, they’ll boo MJF. But no one is really mad at him. If he said something funny or did a space flying tiger drop, they’d  all cheer him. The casual audience everyone speaks of have long gone. We’re what is left. 

Edited by Yakashi