MPDTT

The AEW Wednesday Night Dynamite Thread

2 hours ago, Philjax said:

And drop the Zero Miedo bollocks because it's absolute cringe when he does it 75 times a match. It doesn't even mean anything.

I think it means no fear actually 

Enjoyed it as always this week, however the Brandi segment was the hardest I've cringed in ages watching wrestling. The dialogue she was coming out with was so embarrassing. I can't understand why she is determined to be a heel when she's so naturally likeable and has a ready made babyface role. 

21 hours ago, Mr Butternut Squash said:

Isn't Arn Anderson with them? They could really do with some experienced agents to iron shit out 

Tully Blanchard is there as well, but their tag division is a mess.

I was watching an episode a few weeks back where there was once again a tag match where both teams managed to get all their moves in, and then eventually there was a mad scramble and a roll-up for the win. My thought on the situation was that they're so worried about parts of their roster looking weak nobody ends up looking strong. They need a couple of squashes, a match between names at the top of each hour. 

It's all well and good your teams getting all their stuff in, but if it's not leading to them winning the match it looks like crap. Plus wins and losses mattering when your roster is so thin you have to open the 50-50 club is going to have a detrimental effect in the long run. 

On 12/7/2019 at 3:58 AM, Supremo said:

Come off it, lads. I know the bloom is off the rose and a lot of people are down on them, but don't be a dickhead and try and argue that AEW isn't an alternative.

Alternative to me though is not 'doing the same stuff but a bit differently' or 'well they have different wrestlers'. Maybe that's where I'm not getting that it's an 'alternative'.
ECW was an alternative to mainstream US wrestling in the mid-90's - it had brawls, blood, swearing... all the stuff WWF and WCW DIDN'T have at the time. 
I'm not saying this as a knock or a negative, and I have read all the arguments for why people believe them to be an alternative, but AEW is not doing anything that personally makes me go 'Wow, yeah, they're different! They're an alternative'. Maybe it's because I'd never seen anything like ECW at the time and now, as an old jaded fuck who has seen pretty much everything, for something to truly be alternative to me it has to be so different than its nearest comparison. I dunno...

Again, not saying it as a negative just saying I don't personally see it.

45 minutes ago, Snitsky's back acne said:

Again, not saying it as a negative just saying I don't personally see it.

Yeah i think that all sums it up for me quite well really. While it is technically an 'alternative' it's just not as 'alternative' as I'd hoped it would be. There are glimpses of it here and there but on the whole there's more similarities with existing wrestling than not.

It's an alternative to WWE because, and here's the kicker, it's not WWE. 

If the different name, different wrestlers, different commentators, different bookers, different matches and different TV channel don't give it away, just remember- it's not WWE.

1 minute ago, tiger_rick said:

It's an alternative to WWE because, and here's the kicker, it's not WWE. 

If the different name, different wrestlers, different commentators, different bookers, different matches and different TV channel don't give it away, just remember- it's not WWE.

Different it is. An alternative it is not. 

1 hour ago, Snitsky's back acne said:

Alternative to me though is not 'doing the same stuff but a bit differently' or 'well they have different wrestlers'. Maybe that's where I'm not getting that it's an 'alternative'.
ECW was an alternative to mainstream US wrestling in the mid-90's - it had brawls, blood, swearing... all the stuff WWF and WCW DIDN'T have at the time. 

Are we talking about the same company? 

- Promos with loads more swearing, with recent interviews involving people calling their opponents, “a piece of shit,” and, “a stupid dick.” A character literally called, “The Bastard,” too.

- A character that’s entire gimmick is that he staples things to people’s foreheads. And when he’s not doing that he’s having thumb tacks duct taped into his mouth.

- Their last PPV was headlined by a CZW-style Death Match where guys were taking unprotected barb wire shots to the head and bumping on glass and mousetraps.

- And as for blood? Well, you know.

42B875D6-E3DA-47F3-B909-4CD9D5054DE9.png.2406f0582db5f25c986d2655175268e7.png

All alternative to what we see on WWE television.

Frankly, I think that’s half the reason for the backlash against AEW. All the PG SUX bell-ends who’ve banged on for years have finally been given everything they wanted, only to discover they were wrong all along. It’s not blood~! or swearing~! that makes good wrestling, after all. 

1 minute ago, Supremo said:

Are we talking about the same company? 

- Promos with loads more swearing, with recent interviews involving people calling their opponents, “a piece of shit,” and, “a stupid dick.” A character literally called, “The Bastard,” too.

- A character that’s entire gimmick is that he staples things to people’s foreheads. And when he’s not doing that he’s having thumb tacks duct taped into his mouth.

- Their last PPV was headlined by a CZW-style Death Match where guys were taking unprotected barb wire shots to the head and bumping on glass and mousetraps.

- And as for blood? Well, you know.

WWE has had people saying 'shit' and 'bitch' recently too - not alternative.
Blood and death matches? Sure - and if that's what AEW's identity was then I'd say the promotion was an alternative.
It has elements that are different, sure, but as a whole the promotion is no more an alternative to WWE than MLW or Impact are.

2 minutes ago, tiger_rick said:

Ask Santa for an OED for Christmas. 

In the OED [online] there are two different versions of the word 'alternative' - one refers to 'something available as another possibility or choice' [which AEW is] and two refers to 'relating to activities that depart from or challenge traditional norms' [which AEW does not]. 
I am very much referring to 'alternative' in the second sense. 
I'm not saying there are not differences - of course there are, this has been pointed out - but alternative in the second sense? No. It's just not.

I wasn’t the one who mentioned ECW or specifically noted, “brawls,” and, “blood,” as indicators of an alternative. All I’m saying is that if that’s the way you’re measuring it then you’ve got a company that’s letting guys bleed all over the shop and jump into thumb tacks with their bare feet, so you should be delighted.

If anything, I think AEW is proving that for all the talk of wrestling fans wanting alternatives or harking back to the Attitude Era, when they’re actually given it they realise how crap it is.

Look, I loved Lucha Undreground as much as anyone, but it was never going to work on a mainstream level. Pro-wrestling is niche as fuck already. Play with the formula even more at your peril. You’re destined for YouTube if you go too far. Similarly, no-one spent more money on ECW VHS tapes back in the day than me, but anything that resembles ECW on AEW, like the Moxley vs. Omega match or most of the stuff involving Janela and Havok, is by far the worst part. That shit has aged terribly and everyone involved looks like a tragic, desperate moron doing it in 2019.

I don’t know. Maybe I’m just in the minority, but half the time when I hear people say they want an alternative I feel like they’re just parroting what they’ve heard someone like Meltzer say. I don’t want an alternative to WWE. I fucking love WWE - when it’s good. And that’s what I want from AEW. Do the promos, do the character vignettes, do the storylines and do the big angles. Just do it in a fun and interesting way without the overwriting and overproducing and commentators reading from scripts and shouting buzz words. That’s when I’ve got the most enjoyment out of AEW so far. Jericho’s daft new character, that comedy sketch with the Inner Circle, Cody punching through some glass and MJF turning on Cody after weeks of teasing. Pure WWE stuff, just taken back to the basic level without sucking all the fun out of it. Bollocks to this, “you need to be more alternative,” stuff. The only alternative they need to be for me is to do what WWE  does better than they have done in ages. You can keep Joey Janela stapling a lit cigarette to his head. I really doubt someone saying, “fuck,” would add much, either.

38 minutes ago, Snitsky's back acne said:

In the OED [online] there are two different versions of the word 'alternative' - one refers to 'something available as another possibility or choice' [which AEW is] and two refers to 'relating to activities that depart from or challenge traditional norms' [which AEW does not]. 
I am very much referring to 'alternative' in the second sense. 
I'm not saying there are not differences - of course there are, this has been pointed out - but alternative in the second sense? No. It's just not.

This might be the most boring post I’ve ever seen on here. Looking up dictionary definitions? Fucking hell.