MPDTT

The AEW Wednesday Night Dynamite Thread

Plus for years in WWF you had a sleazy old man in a crown commentating, wearing a suit jacket over his bare flesh. I thinks it's a plus to have a masked commentator. Wrestling is weird and it should have some weird elements. My problem with Excalibur is he's not that good, and he's not got a voice for broadcasting (he sounds like a nerd). 

Great Sasuke as an MP in the Japanese Parliament. That's about as far from bush league as it gets. Also, I don't see how it's unprofessional - Excalibur's profession is in wrestling, which says wearing a mask is acceptable. Don't they have masked commentators and even refs in lucha?

great-sasuke mp.jpg

Excalibur saying "it's the Blade! The Blade!" was one step away from sounding like he was playing with action figures. He's alright at calling matches, but anything else he's the worst. Excitement, shock, selling an angle, running down the card etc. He's horrible wrestling storyteller.

4 hours ago, gmoney said:

El Santo was buried in his mask wasn't he? How embarrassing. 

So was Ultimo Dragon in WWE amirite?

I didn’t dislike last weeks show as much as everyone else, but my main takeaway was that they need to stop relying on the Nitro run-in brawl angle. They’re really good at doing them but it’s got to the point of diminishing returns now and they need to branch out and do other things. How many did they do on that last show? It honestly felt like three or four of them. 

2 hours ago, BomberPat said:

Again, I think it's no less egregious than having "Gorilla Monsoon" on commentary decades after he stopped working a gimmick in which that name made sense.

I wouldn’t say either case is egregious, Pauline. But Excalibur doesn’t come across as a character, or have any presence - he’s just a chubby nerd in a silly mask, referencing shite that means nothing to anyone but the nichest of fans. It’s his job to sell the moments and the characters, especially when the commentator sitting next to him has about as much knowledge of 2011 Chikara minutiae as the average viewer does. And Excalibur is shite at it. He acts like every fucker watching was either into the tape-trading scene or had an account on XWT. As someone said above, it just comes off as bush league. 

And he’s probably their best commentator as well. He just needs reigning in more, so that when it’s time to debut one of the Bucks’ mates from the indies that nobody who has touched a boob has ever heard of, he doesn’t just get excited and act like they’re already a big star. He should be getting excited and explaining what’s so great about them in an accessible way to help make them a star.

It’s a problem AEW has in general, the lack of vision/micromanagement. A lot of the roster look and perform like bush league indie wrestlers, and there doesn’t seem to be any urgency to change that. Which on the one hand is fine, because some of their audience are drinking the kool-aid or are the hardcore nerd that Excalibur expects them to be. But then to the side of the audience that is just watching because it’s wrestling on the telly, or are just after an alternative to WWE, loads of the undercard is a turn-off.

Edited by King Pitcos

Lots of stuff to comment on. 

Re Jimmy Havoc, I have no problem at all with him so far - from what I've seen, he's not being pushed as a hulking hardcase, but a horrible cunt. He's taking mouthfuls of thumb tacks and stapling stuff to people while carrying himself like a swaggering prick. He's the anti Darby Allin, which is aright by me. 

If Excalibur was any good at commentary, nobody would care about him wearing a mask. Problem is, his shortcomings on the mic mean every other possible peeve gets blown up. It was pointed out by someone earlier that they've essentially got two play by play guys, so you're relying on guy with little TV experience expected to carry a clearly bored veteran to something entertaining, and he's not up to it. 

A few weeks in, I think AEW bit off more than they could chew, going from a few shows and a YouTube channel to committing to 3 hours of TV a week. They've got the in ring talent, but they're relying on that to fill airtime because either they don't have the content, they don't have the creativity, or they don't want to deviate from the WWE Raw formula. They still insist on dropping really good skits, vignettes and hype videos online, when they should be consolidating all of that for the wider TV audience. I don't recall seeing that great Blue Planet spoof of the Jurassic Express on the main show. 

I was going to wait and see if that Blue Planet skit was shown tonight before commenting. If it’s not then that’s a terrible example of them still incorrectly thinking the key to business success is just let-the-cruiserweights-wrestle~!

Having watched this week’s episode of Dark, what in the FUCK were Santana and Ortiz, the thugs of the AEW Champion’s top heel faction, doing selling for Marko Stunt. Dreadful. I am willing to believe Jack Perry lives in the woods and Luchasaurus is a dinosaur. But I will never believe anyone who sells anything Marko Stunt hits them with. Ever. Least of all these guys who are supposed to be on the level of the Rhodes brothers and the Young Bucks. Fucking hell, AEW.

Edited by HarmonicGenerator