MPDTT

The AEW Wednesday Night Dynamite Thread

I kinda expected more from a Chicago crowd but yeah the show just felt off after the first segment, everything that could have been great was a little underwhelming.

The Butcher is the coolest looking fucker around but was such a lame way to introduce them, it was too slow and no-one had any idea who they were like when The Dark Order first shown up to no response.

I didn't think the crowd were particularly bad, especially considering how fatigued they must have been. Although they didn't seem at all into the main event until the near falls. I thought they did a poor job of getting Scorpio over this week, an interview or video package telling his story would have been so much better than that goofy rushed attack. 

They killed Orange Cassidy's pop with that fucking turkey suit. First time he wasn't funny.

I've been loving Dynamite but I thought there was a lot more wrong than right with this weeks show sadly.

The opening segment was brilliant however the ending with the idea SCU stood for 10 minutes in a band uniform to break it up to me made no sense.

I didn't mind Lucha Bros losing especially as I'm wondering whether their recent losses are going to lead to Pentagon turning on his own brother leading into a vastly entertaining feud between the 2 followed by a monster heel and entertaining face added to the singles roster at the expense of sacrificing a team from the stacked tag division.

Orange Cassidy in the comedy turkey spot for me was a poor choice and not funny at all. 

I feel JR is getting progressively worse on commentary. I actually feel that he commentates on shows as though he's watching it in the back and commenting on it as he goes as opposed to being aware he's on a live mic. I feel a lot of the things he says shits all over the product or things that are going on and Excalibur has to spend half his time talking too much to try and limit damage done by JR. He also sounds completely uninterested all the time as well.

I thought The Butcher & The Blade looked decent enough but I didn't see any sense or relevance in the from under the ring entrance. Why not have had Cody call MJF out as he did then have Allie come out as the character who we've previously seen as a girl next door type face with Cody confused as to why.

Have The Butcher & The Blade attack him from the crowd or wherever from behind, in street clothes, both at the same time for her to then walk down and raise their hands as she steps on Cody laid out in the ring.

Next week she could have came out in the catwoman/bunny cosplay with them and explained why. I just felt the whole segment was poorly executed.

Those appear from under the ring entrances for me should be reserved for "supernatural" style characters or otherwise surprise appearances from people we instantly know and recognise with an immediately identifiable reason as to why they are there.

I felt Wardlow/MJF looked stupid with DDP in not beating a 63 year old man down when they had the 2 on 1 advantage and he was getting in their faces.

Jericho vs Scorpio Sky was for me just a really bad match all round. I felt Sky looked nervous as hell and the timing of both of them seemed just a half second off as well. The crowd being near dead apart from the 1 near fall for Sky definitely didn't help things either.

Moxley is showing everyone he was right all along and what amazing potential he has is handled properly.

Overall it was the first time I'd watched the show and been left feeling underwhelmed as opposed to already looking forward to the next weeks show.

Edited by Jonny Vegas

I skimmed through this week after the first segment. As said it was all a bit off for me this week. A few things I haven't seen mentioned are I'm not sure where they're going with Kenny after that roll up win as it didn't feel like "redemption" and just left it up in the air to me.

The inner circle seem to have two or three run in brawls each show with different groups. It's nice to have story-lines merge but I don't see the need to repeat things with different groups on the same show. They also didn't make any deal at all of whichever Jackson it was returning, he just simply ran in wearing a hoody.

It's almost like their looking at WWE having no diverging story lines and going the other way but too far and not well. An analogy would be cooking a dish that is too salty so you throw a whole packet of sugar into it (not trying to make a "too sweet" reference here). 

I didn't like the Butcher/ Blade guys much really, who are they? I'll enjoy them if we get cat woman Allie on screen regularly through. 

It was in no way a bad show, but I agree with those who say it had its problems.

Why did SCU dress up as brass band members? They didn’t need to for that particular spot and it just made them look goofy. I’m starting to find them a bit irritating in general, they’re turning into New Day-lite.

The Butcher and Blade debut was pretty confusing. JR seemed to be pushing Excalibur for a better explanation, but it never came. I agree with whoever said vignettes would have helped. Anyone seen them before? What are they like in ring/on the mic?

I didn’t particularly like Lucha Bros losing to Best Friends. They’re an act with main event potential but it’s being squandered. Quit the 50/50 booking.

Wardlow’s confrontation with DDP was a bit cartoonish too. The fight for the ring did nothing for me on the whole, it seemed very low stakes.

And for Christ’s sake have SOMEONE in the women’s division cut a promo. That match was a mess at times, and I had no investment in anyone involved aside from Shida, who has a real star quality about her.

I loved the latest Dark Order vignette, and in a way it’s probably better that they’ve already debuted. If you saw THAT tag team after those fantastic vignettes you’d probably feel a bit underwhelmed. I hope they carry over the interest built up through these videos.

Guess the cutting through the ring gets the Blade part of their act over, but given how easy the ring apron can be moved to get out, makes no logical sense other than in a cage match to appear that way 

"It's the Bunny! The Bunny! It's Allie as the Bunny! The Bunny is here! Now we know that the Bunny is behind the Butcher and the Blade, but why? The Bunny, the Butcher and the Blade."

3 hours ago, simonworden said:

cat woman Allie 

Edited by Chris B

51 minutes ago, Chris B said:

"It's the Bunny! The Bunny! It's Allie as the Bunny! The Bunny is here! Now we know that the Bunny is behind the Butcher and the Blade, but why? The Bunny, the Butcher and the Blade."

Has Allie ever worked under that persona on the indie scene? I thought Excalibur labelled her ‘The Bunny’ fat too quickly, why would he know that? I found the whole thing really confusing.

I thought the announcing was pretty poor all night actually, and fuck knows what was up with that random guy who joined the team during the first match. There was little to no explanation as to who he was or where he was from. I get that it was a sponsored spot, but what was it all about? What’s the All Elite Fleet? Is it essentially ‘the AEW universe’??

18 minutes ago, RedRooster said:

Has Allie ever worked under that persona on the indie scene? I thought Excalibur labelled her ‘The Bunny’ fat too quickly, why would he know that? I found the whole thing really confusing.

I believe she's used 'The Bunny' on Impact, of all places, but not quite the same gimmick. Apparently, her husband is The Blade.

I love the look of the three of them (especially the monocle), but I agree - utterly confusing that it was treated as if they were someone we should know. I like Excalibur as an announcer, but he needs to learn more about how to do this for TV and an audience who hasn't seen everyone before. His corrections of some of JR's calls are a bit obnoxious too ("the crusher..." " - cutter" "...it's not called a crusher anymore?" "Well, it's a cutter too."), although I like that they seem to mostly gently tease each other rather than just slag each other off. 

Excalibur is great at calling matches, but it's very clear that he's never particularly had to sell a TV story before. 

2 minutes ago, BomberPat said:

Excalibur is great at calling matches, but it's very clear that he's never particularly had to sell a TV story before. 

It's glaringly obvious how many of them have little to no TV experience to be honest.
It should be no surprise to anyone that the star attractions are Jericho, Cody, Pac and Moxley... the ones with years, if not decades in Jericho's case, of TV experience.

1 hour ago, RedRooster said:

Didn't she have Bunny written on her attire or am I mistaken? Either way that might have been the flattest debut I have ever seen.

28 minutes ago, boytoy said:

Didn't she have Bunny written on her attire or am I mistaken? Either way that might have been the flattest debut I have ever seen.

I don't know. I thought they looked pretty big.

2 hours ago, Chris B said:

My mistake, costume was very cat woman-esque from what I recall though, been a busy day.  if that's enough defense.

3 minutes ago, simonworden said:

My mistake, costume was very cat woman-esque from what I recall though, been a busy day.  if that's enough defense.

Missed an opportunity to call herself Allie Cat