MPDTT

The AEW Wednesday Night Dynamite Thread

I really enjoyed the Mox/Omega match, think they have followed it up brilliantly with Omega not being cleared to wrestle and being clearly heartbroken that Moxley was okay. 

Was a shame UKFF was down because that would have been a proper circular debate for at least 20 pages 

33 minutes ago, Yakashi said:

To be fair, he has explained multiple times that his star ratings aren’t based on what he likes. 

That's just not true, though. Its totally based on what he likes, otherwise he wouldnt have given Hogan vs Rock 3 stars. Random Raw matches get better than that.

40 minutes ago, IANdrewDiceClay said:

That's just not true, though. Its totally based on what he likes, otherwise he wouldnt have given Hogan vs Rock 3 stars. Random Raw matches get better than that.

I'm not saying I believe him. But that's his justification for this rating and the Foley cell match that he also hated. 

Full Gear was the final straw for me. I've tried to give AEW a chance, watching most of the stuff they've done so far (I refuse to watch any match involving the Young Bucks as they are insufferable cunts). Some of the stuff they do is decent (Jericho has been phenomenal, at least until he wrestles) but the roster appears to be paper-thin and there's way too many people I've no interest in watching any more.

Moxley versus Omega was awful, like watching that fucking terrible Asylum Match again. If you're going to use weapons like baseball bats wrapped in barbed wire, then you don't have a match lasting a week and a half as the whole point is the weapons are more damaging than normal wrestling moves. As a side note "The Cleaner" with that stupid sweeping brush has to be one of the worst gimmicks around. I don't care if it was over in Japan, and I say that as someone that probably watches more Japanese wrestling than most fans. Would any of his fans from Japan have screamed blue murder if AEW had just dropped the nickname or given him a sensible one instead? I doubt it. (apologies for Garthing...)

Possible my favourite point in the whole PPV was during the women's match (I think). Someone did a hair-mare and Excalibur decided to name-drop Kodo Fuyuki, a Japanese garbage wrestler who's been dead for 16 years so pretty much no fucker would have a clue who he was talking about. Jim Ross buries him with his reply of "What's that mean?" Excalibur is forced on the defensive and tells us Chris Jericho was in his stable when he wrestled in WAR (Jericho wrestled there from 1994-1996 for anyone who's interested) and the subject gets dropped very quickly. 

Yeah, that unsanctiined match put me off AEW too. If I wanted to watch deathmatches I would go watch CZW or Ian Rottens sons new promotion. Train Wreck Wrestling was it?

4 hours ago, MPDTT said:

Well Full Gear was the best thing since sliced bread.....I had a great time in Washington DC, but Baltimore is an utter dive....also met someone else there who said they were on this forum - some bloke from Leeds who's name escapes me.

Did he mention the Chinese or pies by any chance?

I thought the PPV was a very strong show up until the Omega v Mox match, which was absolutely shite. Nearly forty fucking minutes of absolute shite at that.

Didn't watch the PPV so can't comment on that, but the Dynamite TV shows have been great and I'm making sure I come back every week.

Amongst the usual positives (shout out to the people behind Sammy Guevara and Luchasaurus' music btw!) Scorpio Sky, who I knew nothing about beforehand, has impressed me loads 

Edited by Otto Dem Wanz

Dynamite is really hitting it's stride. This week was an outstanding show. 

NXT was an exciting show. This "war" has been great for both so far. 

Both had good numbers this week. NXT winning is a bit hollow when they had to promise Raw and Smackdown guys to do it. Good TV though.

I didn't mind the Moxley/Omega match. Certainly wasn't unexpected given what's happened in the previous unsanctioned matches. Had my wincing a lot and was overly long but surprised by the criticism. Decent PPV overall. Cody and Jericho (and MJF) stole the show. Cody's head first bump might be spot of the year.

I know kayfabe is dead but I have questions that need answers...

1. Does Kenny Omega make his own weapons or does he have help? Is there a wrestling version of acme that made them for him?
  2. If DIY, how man hours did he put into making the barbed wire bed and mouse trap board? How does he fit that around his wrestling commitments?
  3. Why would he make a giant barbed wire bed and then leave it backstage 'just in case' he needed it? Potentially a lot of wasted effort there if he gets pinned before he even gets a chance to use it.
  4. Why make a barbed wire bed big enough for two? Surely you only need to plan to put one person through it.
  5. How did he transport them to the arena?
  6. Nailing thirty mouse traps to a board is more preparation than used by most killers so maybe not great babyface material. Also probably very low pain/workload ratio really.
  7. Who collected the glass from the broken table? Why would anyone think to do this anyway?

If you watch the VICE documentary "The Wrestlers", they show Jun Kasai's wife helping make deathmatch props at home, and Danny Havoc producing full on blueprints and diagrams for all the contraptions he wants to use. So in or out of kayfabe, the answer is, "they glue mousetraps to stuff in their spare time".

I can only imagine the discussion on here a day after that Mox/Omega match. Personally I really enjoyed it, but some of you comparing a match with sugar glass and bob wire to a CZW affair are overblowing it. 

Yeah, it was a bit long but never at any point did I feel the length (eh, steady on now!). The lads were letting moments sink in and selling, so that's a big plus.

Dave's rating though is fucking hilarious, and everyone defending it clearly needs to get their head out of his arse.

On a last quick note, despite the lows of the battle royal and the women's match, Dynamite was pretty damn good again.

Edited by Accident Prone

There were moments I enjoyed about the Battle Royal - the one thing they do well in them is giving people a chance to have a bit of a character moment; so Orange Cassidy just chilling out for the whole match, the Billy Gunn/Sonny Kiss interaction (with Cassidy's reaction adding to it), Kip Sabian and Penelope interacting, and so on.

What I didn't like about it was the amount of outside interference, and bits of business. Way too much outside interference and shenanigans for a Battle Royal, and I hate multiple "skinning the cat" saves in a single match, as it makes it look ordinary, rather than exceptional.