UFC 241: Cormier vs Miocic 2 - Aug 17 🇺🇸

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?   

11 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Diaz has fought twice in almost four years now, and he's 34 years old. I sometimes think fans forget that the Diaz brothers aren't kids anymore. Just because they can't put a coherent sentence together, talk gangsta, smoke dope and Nate sports a Fred Durst style beard doesn't make them ever-young.

I can see getting handily outstruck and losing a lopsided decision, which he'll obviously later say that he really won on account of Pettis being a "straight-up bitch."

2 hours ago, David said:

Diaz has fought twice in almost four years now, and he's 34 years old. I sometimes think fans forget that the Diaz brothers aren't kids anymore. Just because they can't put a coherent sentence together, talk gangsta, smoke dope and Nate sports a Fred Durst style beard doesn't make them ever-young.

14 minutes ago, Chunk said:

Excuse the stupid question but isn't THC banned during competition? Or is it just that he doesn't care?

I'm 99% sure I recall a Rogan podcast where he was talking about Sean O'Malley being a stoner, and something about it only being banned 48 hours away from a fight, or something like that. I can't remember the specifics, but I'm pretty certain it's a short time-scale that's forbidden.

3 hours ago, WeeAl said:

That's whetted my appetite.

My fantasy booking has Stipe winning, with DC taking the trilogy fight before going onto face Jon Jones again, who has cleaned out LHW in the meantime. 

• Paid Members

I’ve done the buildup all backwards to this. Haven’t even got around to watching the Countdown, Embedded, the press conference or interviews yet. But I’ve just watched the weigh in and that alone, just seeing the face-offs for the top 3 fights has got me buzzing for tonight. 

A64-F39-CD-8-E82-4-A60-A3-DF-02-E03-CC2-

Daniel Cormier vs Stipe Miocic 2, like we said it’s a tough one. The first fight was short and there are questions on both since for me. Cormier has increasingly been on about retirement and even hinting that this might be his swansong. And we haven’t seen Stipe at all since the first fight over a year ago. I picked Miocic to win the first fight and the advantages he had going in that time (size, age) are still there now, obviously. But it’s hard to pick against DC when he’s got it done time and time again, against anyone not named Jon Jones anyway. 

I’m struggling to pick a winner here but I’ll go with Cormier on points. I think it’s going to be a lot tougher this time. I can see it being a bit like DC vs Josh Barnett but probably closer on the cards. Might be a bit of a war but I think DC will get the win. He’s faster and despite his size disadvantage he’s really good at getting in and out and landing the stuff that counts on the inside. And although Stipe’s no wrestling novice, DC should have the edge in wrestling too. Who knows? I’m about 51-49 in favour of DC. If it is a war and he scrapes through with the win though, I think he might just retire there and then. If he comes through relatively unscathed then I think he might push for one last crack at Jones. 

3-A356-B70-8-FF8-4069-8919-6-F44743959-E

Anthony Pettis vs Nate Diaz is another weird but exciting one. I’ve gone back and forth on this since it was announced. Diaz is an odd one in that I think the MMA fanbase is kind of split down the middle and you have a bunch of his fanboys who really overrate him but on the flipside you have his critics who see his silly antics and underrate him a bit. Who knows what we’re getting here out of Nate? He’s been inconsistent at the best of times but now he’s coming back off a 3 year lay-off on top of that. Nate was looking big at the weigh in, I think his days at 155 are probably over. 

I’ll say Pettis by decision in a fun one. I don’t think the lay-off will effect Nate too much but I’ve just got a feeling Pettis gives him all kinds of problems with his kicks, especially to the legs. I don’t think he’ll stop Nate but I think he’ll outpoint him and Nate will probably be limping and bloodied up when it’s over. If it was a 5 rounder I think Diaz’s pace might get to him late but over 3 I think Pettis will be able to let loose. The thing giving me doubt is that I’ve counted out Nate before and it’s usually those fights (Cerrone, McGregor 1) that he shines in. 

8-C7-D00-E0-B264-4755-8-B91-0-F523359-E2

Yoel Romero vs Paulo Costa. Fuck me. What’s going to happen here then? You never know what to expect when Yoel is fighting but that’s heightened even more against an unbeaten wrecking ball like Costa. I really hope Yoel wins but I’m not sure. I’m not confident either way. While Costa is unproven at this level, he’s dangerous as fuck and there’s something about his confidence and the way he carries himself, like he knows he’s going to knock you out. 

Sod it. Yoel by KO. Going on history it’ll probably be sudden, brutal and in the third round after losing the first 2. It’s just the way Yoel rolls. Seriously, I see either Costa catching him early with something devastating or Yoel bamboozles him for a bit and then springs into action and leaves him unconscious in a heap. I’m leaning towards the latter. Not just because it’s the result I want. But I think Yoel’s experience will be a factor here. He’s fought champions and top contenders and been on the big stage plenty. He’s also got a few more wrinkles to his overall game than Costa for me and I think his unpredictability and odd timing might throw Costa off. 

Side note - Yoel at the weigh in. He must be the only man on the planet who can rock the flip flops and white socks look and still look like a complete badass. 

4-B7-F01-A9-A980-41-F1-995-B-830-C8977-B

Gabriel Benítez vs Sodiq Yusuff is massively overshadowed on this card, understandably, but I can see it being really good. From what I’ve seen of both they don’t really do dull. I think Yusuff is more of a striker. Benítez is a bit of an all-rounder but has a nice submission game. 

Yusuff by KO/TKO for me. Not really sure about that as Benítez has quite an edge in experience and is probably more well rounded but I’ve got a feeling Yusuff gets it done. 

6-EA89-E40-5050-44-C3-B3-EF-8991222-C419

Derek Brunson vs Ian Heinisch is a fight I haven’t really given any thought to until now. Is there bad blood between these two? They were talking a lot of shit in the face-off. Especially Heinisch, who I never really had down as a talker. What’s the beef? Anyway, could be a decent PPV opener. 

I fancy Heinisch by decision actually. I was really impressed by his win over Shoeface and I think he might be a bit of a darkhorse. Brunson is good but I think he might even be a better fight for Heinisch style-wise than Shoeface was. 

Full predictions; 

Daniel Cormier by Decision. 

Anthony Pettis by Decision. 

Yoel Romero by KO/TKO. 

Sodiq Yusuff by KO/TKO. 

Ian Heinisch by Decision. 

Devonte Smith by KO/TKO. 

Raphael Assunção by Decision. 

Drakkar Klose by Decision. 

Manny Bermudez by Submission. 

Hannah Cifers by Decision. 

Brandon Davis by Submission. 

Sabina Mazo by KO/TKO.

Edited by wandshogun09

• Paid Members
On 8/16/2019 at 12:46 AM, AdamTH17 said:

I'm 99% sure I recall a Rogan podcast where he was talking about Sean O'Malley being a stoner, and something about it only being banned 48 hours away from a fight, or something like that. I can't remember the specifics, but I'm pretty certain it's a short time-scale that's forbidden.

On 8/16/2019 at 10:01 AM, TildeGuy~! said:

He smoked a CBD Joint - Or he claims he does, which should be ok.

Thanks both. Had no idea there even was such a thing as a CBD joint.