UFC 241: Cormier vs Miocic 2 - Aug 17 🇺🇸

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?   

11 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Paid Members

Sorry if this has already been covered, but DC has admitted he made a cock up of it by getting too full of himself, thinking he can have a shooting match with Stipe. Of course, Stipe had to make the adjustments, but DC completely went against their game plan (hence why his coaches were pleading with him to get a grip). Not to detract from Stipe (I know it comes across as that) because Stipe lulled DC into that final round. It was pretty genius how he sussed it out.

• Paid Members

@Egg Shen You mean going into the 4th? But yeah, looks about right. Guessing the first two judges gave Stipe the 3rd. 

Just thinking, the heavyweight division is heading for a bit of a dead spell, isn’t it? I know it’s never been the deepest division but there’s not much of interest in terms of big title fights in the near future. I mean, if DC sticks around we’ll probably get Stipe vs DC 3. And if DC retires then it’s surely Stipe vs Ngannou 2. Beyond that? It’s mostly the same old faces. And Stipe’s already ran through most of them. You’ve got Overeem rebuilding and JDS coming off a loss. Derrick Lewis, he’s brilliant bless him, but he’s not on that level. Werdum’s been USADA’d. There are fresh names coming up like Blaydes, Volkov, maybe Walt Harris but...yeah. Not that interesting and I don’t fancy any of them against Fireman Stipe. 

Despite Dana’s usual line of ‘if a fighter even says the word ‘retirement’ they should retire. I don’t mess with that’, I think he’s going to push for a Miocic vs Cormier trilogy decider for this very reason. He’ll probably chuck more money at DC to lock him into that rubber match. 

Edited by wandshogun09

• Paid Members

Rogan pretty much pointed this out on the show too. Outside of Ngannou or Jones stepping up, there really isn't a lot. It's a shame Cain got battered by Ngannou because we definitely should have had the battle of the GOATS with Stipe v Cain.

I'd be amazed if DC doesn't fight again. The truth is he hasn't had to in a couple of years, but Uncle Dana knows the right price to keep DC around with his AKA-battered back.

• Paid Members

Yeah and I don’t think Jones is that arsed about fighting at heavyweight. He’s always said it’s inevitable eventually but that he’s not really interested right now. He’s never had any issues making 205 as far as I know either so why jump up just to jump up? In the days of every fucking champion jumping from weight class to weight class and all this ‘champ champ’ shite, I actually like it when a champion knows where their division is and stays there. Same when Demetrious Johnson was getting grief for not fighting Dillashaw in a ‘superfight’ for the same money he gets for mopping the cage with Ray Borg types. Imagine if DJ had done what Dana wanted and fought Dillashaw and lost? Then Dillashaw pissed dirty and DJ’s epic streak got ended by that beady-eyed, PED riddled fuck? That would’ve been awful. 

• Paid Members
24 minutes ago, Guy Bifkin said:

Card of the year by a long stretch with Romero vs Costa being the standout match. 

Yeah, definitely. It looked that way going in and really, it over delivered. 

Three action packed fights that everyone was looking forward to, that all ended up being exciting from beginning to end. 

Luke Thomas described Yoel Romero as a mutant on his post show podcast, and I don't know if there could be a more appropriate description for the man. He's just a freak. Costa is completely legitimised after that fight as well. If you beat Yoel Romero, you're a hard, hard man. I scored it for Romero myself, but I've absolutely no complaints either way, and those fans booing the decision need looked at. 

It's bloody well great to have Nate Diaz back. And the possibility of a fight with Jorge Masvidal? Yes please. 

Stipe was crowned king as well as new champ with that win. He's hands down the best HW there's been in the UFC after that one. To make that adjustment, and repeatedly rip the body right in the fourth after seeing DC look more tired in the third was a really intelligent move. Stipe just snatched the win out of the jaws of defeat through toughing it out, weathering the storm, making a tactical adjustment and executing it with ferocity. It was the stuff that greats are made out of. 

If the fights we expect to get (god knows when, and if they happen) then I see it going down like this:

Costa Vs Adesanya/Whittaker. At the minute I'd pick Costa to beat Israel but lose to Whittaker. That could all change in October though. 

Stipe Vs Ngannou. I'm not picking against Stipe here. 

Diaz Vs Masvidal. God knows if this actually gets made. Nate's as likely to fuck off again for years after this as he is to fight on the December card in Vegas. I don't know who wins it. Let's hope it happens. 

After those fights though, Romero, Costa, Stipe and DC all need their slippers, about 180 warm baths and about the same number of days in a cryo chamber, trying to regenerate all those brain cells they lost on Saturday night. I hope none of them decide to fight again inside six months. 

Edited by WeeAl