AEW All Out

Supremo

• Replies 603
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
24 minutes ago, DavidB6937 said:

Yeah they're presenting the fact that they've got a more fan-friendly and understanding backer rather than Evil Vince, so as long as they keep playing that card to the right people they'll be fine. But there's only a finite amount of fans that give a shit about that sort of thing.

As Liam said earlier, they'll get a kickstart from the fans disillusioned with WWE. The next step with national TV is to attract new fans. That's harder. WWE has always been the conduit for new fans.

19 minutes ago, tiger_rick said:

As Liam said earlier, they'll get a kickstart from the fans disillusioned with WWE. The next step with national TV is to attract new fans. That's harder. WWE has always been the conduit for new fans.

I think that's the thing I worry about the most. You can have all the money in the world and throw it at a company but there's no guarantee that they'll be able to sustain a top level of creativity and attract the levels of fans necessary to be whatever they want to be. I know they often downplay being major competition for WWE but surely that's the main target when they're putting something together on this level.

• Paid Members
6 minutes ago, DavidB6937 said:

I think that's the thing I worry about the most. You can have all the money in the world and throw it at a company but there's no guarantee that they'll be able to sustain a top level of creativity and attract the levels of fans necessary to be whatever they want to be. I know they often downplay being major competition for WWE but surely that's the main target when they're putting something together on this level.

Wrestling has been obsessed with competition for the last 20 years. Is there another industry so obsessed with the possibility that there can only be one player? There is enough of the pie for them to co-exist with plenty of room to grow. It's a pity no one realised that when there were 10 million wrestling fans watching on Monday nights in the US alone but better late than never.

• Paid Members
1 minute ago, tiger_rick said:

Wrestling has been obsessed with competition for the last 20 years. Is there another industry so obsessed with the possibility that there can only be one player? There is enough of the pie for them to co-exist with plenty of room to grow. It's a pity no one realised that when there were 10 million wrestling fans watching on Monday nights in the US alone but better late than never.

I think it's the same reason a certain sector of the fanbase try and will on a "rivalry" between NJPW and WWE, or between TNA and WWE before that, and why people point to "PG" as the source of WWE's ills despite WWE - and wrestling as a whole - having been PG for the vast majority of its existence, and why some people still think Vince Russo has anything worthwhile to add. For a lot of people, the late '90s was their first exposure to wrestling, or their first period of real "fandom" toward wrestling, so everyone assumes it's how wrestling is meant to be - wrestling has to involve two major promotions at "war", that's it' default state.

1 hour ago, WyattSheepMask said:

I think Punk has played a bit of a blinder with this Starrcast announcement. He knows that AEW fans are desperate to see him sign with them, when in actuality, he’s probably just doing because Conrad will have offered him a fortune, and he only lives down the road

The day of All Out he will be able to get Kahn to sign a blank cheque if he is that way inclined. 

I’m going to Chicago two weeks after All Out for Riotfest. Don’t think I’m going to be able to extend my stay that long which is annoying 

• Paid Members
4 minutes ago, UK Kat Von D said:

The day of All Out he will be able to get Kahn to sign a blank cheque if he is that way inclined. 

I’m going to Chicago two weeks after All Out for Riotfest. Don’t think I’m going to be able to extend my stay that long which is annoying 

Fucking hell, what a cracking line-up! Those full album sets have me drooling.

There needs to be a villain and there needs to be a babyface.
Despite what Cody has said in the past the fundamentals of someone/something we want to root for vs someone/something we hate is never going to be outdated and will ALWAYS draw.
Currently AEW are the babyface and WWE are the nasty heels - and the babyfaces have incredible support and decent momentum, which is all a good babyface needs.

It's clever marketing to position themselves as the plucky upstarts, the underdogs, the company that is the antithesis of WWE [even though it's not] - they just need to capitalise on that, learn from their early mistakes and ditch the egos [tough one].

9 minutes ago, Snitsky's back acne said:

Currently AEW are the babyface and WWE are the nasty heels - and the babyfaces have incredible support and decent momentum, which is all a good babyface needs.

It's not all they need though, is it? Sure, the babyface company dynamic works with the hardcore crowd and those that are aware of the competition etc, but there's still a massive world beyond that. It's something that TNA and ROH etc never seemed to be able to crack - a real product with appeal on a much wider scale. 

27 minutes ago, UK Kat Von D said:

I’m going to Chicago two weeks after All Out for Riotfest.

Make sure you go to Native Foods Cafe!  They have one in Wicker Park which is such a cool place, think Punk lived there or something.  When I was in Wicker Park, I was wearing a "Punk And Disorderly" t-shirt and some dude sat on the sidewalk with a spliff and some bongos said "Cool shirt, man" and lost his shit when he heard my accent, started hugging me and everything!

EDIT - Native Foods https://www.nativefoods.com/locations/chicago/

Cheers for the heads up Keith! I’ll add it to my to do list. Main goal of the festival is to get side stage for Rancid and H20. I also plan to drop some pills and dance my arse off to Village People.

2019-ADMAT-NEWSPOST.png

Gonna keep an eye out for Joey Janela at Blink 182

• Paid Members
22 minutes ago, Snitsky's back acne said:

It's clever marketing to position themselves as the plucky upstarts, the underdogs, the company that is the antithesis of WWE [even though it's not] - they just need to capitalise on that, learn from their early mistakes and ditch the egos [tough one].

Of course they're going to be the babyfaces. Even on their own product, WWE are the heels so they're surely going to be in the wider concience.

I don't think it's that cut and dried though. There are people all over on "Team WWE". There are people on here trying to trip them up over everything. Despite the obvious best outcome being two companies flourishing, making and trading stars and putting on good TV every week.

31 minutes ago, DavidB6937 said:

It's not all they need though, is it? Sure, the babyface company dynamic works with the hardcore crowd and those that are aware of the competition etc, but there's still a massive world beyond that. It's something that TNA and ROH etc never seemed to be able to crack - a real product with appeal on a much wider scale. 

Yeah, I just meant generically a good babyface wrestler only needs those things - at least as a base. AEW has those at the moment but you're right, they need more than that to succeed long term. 

Archived