AEW All Out

Supremo

Anyone know Marty Scurll's contract status?

I remember around New Year leading up to the announcement about AEW starting up, people mentioned Marty had another year left on his ROH contract, but I don't remember seeing anything specific.

Him reuniting with the rest of the "Being The Elite" crew would go down really really well with that audience.

• Paid Members

It feels like they're due a big signing/appearance for All Out, and for the first TV show. I suspect that, before Moxley had to sit it out, PAC was going to be a surprise, so maybe we won't get anyone at All Out after all.

But who is there that's a genuine, get people talking, making headlines big name, that's not signed elsewhere? 

There are fun indie names I expect will pop up there, but is anyone a draw? The only ex-WWE names I can think of are Jack Swagger, Ryback and Wade Barrett, none of which are a good fit, and none of which would exactly set the world on fire.

• Paid Members
23 minutes ago, dopper said:

Anyone know Marty Scurll's contract status?

I remember around New Year leading up to the announcement about AEW starting up, people mentioned Marty had another year left on his ROH contract, but I don't remember seeing anything specific.

Him reuniting with the rest of the "Being The Elite" crew would go down really really well with that audience.

According to this - https://www.fightful.com/wrestling/exclusives/confirmed-wrestling-contract-expirations-wwe-njpw-roh-gfw-lu - it expires in November.

• Paid Members

I wouldn't mind seeing Wade Barrett or Ryback come in. Solid, big lads who always felt like they never reached their full potential in WWE.

Marty Scurll's got to be counting the days at this point. Wasting his time in a dead promotion like ROH, in front of dwindling crowds, I bet he can't wait until WWE and AEW are bidding for him.

I can't even begin to explain how much I want Rusev to let his contract run out.

Edited by Supremo

• Paid Members
Just now, Vegeta said:

If they bring in surprise wrestler at each show, does that defeat the purpose of it being a surprise if everyone is expecting someone? 

They don't need to do it for every show. But the first TV show needs to get people talking, and tuning in next week. And while they don't have TV, they need every big show to keep people hooked with something there'll still be talking about until the next one comes along.

There definitely doesn't need to be a surprise wrestler at each show. But with it being the big debut on TV, they'd be wise to use someone that'd grab headlines if they can.

There's only one time to make a first impression and they need to show that their current roster can deliver, plus get enough eyes on the product from people that may have missed out and feel like they need to tune in next time etc.

• Paid Members

The only thing they "need" is a well-produced, well-booked, good looking TV show. Anything else is vajazzle.

Lots of people will check out this show. Many more will check it out in future if it's consistently good. Realistically, there is no-one who could show up who will make a bunch of people think that have to see this. Even CM Punk, who is the biggest name free, doesn't have that appeal.

• Paid Members
52 minutes ago, BomberPat said:

I'd actually want him in with the rest of Villain Enterprises. Would be scenes if he debuted and was embraced by the Elite, only for the rest of the lads to appear from the crowd and give them a pasting.

Remember when TNA went head to head with Raw and they somehow landed Jeff Hardy, the biggest actual draw in WWE the year before?

Didn't mean a thing.

Luger in 1995 either, really. It's cool for the fans, and I understand you want a show that hooks people enough to create a culture and a buzz around the product, and a surprise jump is one way to do that. But its not the only way. Reminds me of watching the Royal Rumble when Styles debuted, and people grumbling after the show because they'd have liked another surprise in the Rumble. It's a short term artificial high, these surprises. They did one with Moxley last time that they likely can't top, so I think managing expectations would be wise - the show shouldn't be deemed a failure if CM Punk doesn't show up.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Liam O'Rourke said:

Lex Luger is currently available. I have my Nan's white curtains for him to wear to replicate 1995 exactly. 

Lex Luger rolling down the aisle in his power chair to even up the odds with Tully around ringside.

For me, interest is what causes a buzz. Luger, Hardy, Punk, even Hogan when he showed up, once the initial novelty wears off, you need keep them interesting to those watching. For example, I'm convinced TNA would have ruined the interest in anything. The Guns n Roses first album. Tommy and Pamela fucking on a boat. The Sky hit series Dream Team. Anything.

Edited by IANdrewDiceClay

• Paid Members

Only other guy I can think of who has even a smidgen of recognition that might get a pop is James Storm, and even then, he's not been seen for a while. Without Bobby Roode, I don't imagine he'd make all that much of a splash.