AEW All Out

Supremo

• Paid Members

This is why you cant have your wrestlers working super hard matches elsewhere. The G1 is the hardest act in wrestling. So many matches, going at full pelt. The chance of injury is heightened. With Fenix injurying himself as well, that's a bad bit of luck as well. Joey Janela's going to get a terrible injury one of these days, too. You must protect your investments.

Jericho and Hangman will be interesting, because its the biggest night in Page's career and Jericho's pot luck. Having to follow Omega and PAC will be a massive ask.

• Paid Members

The catalyst for WWE getting far more strict on allowing NXT UK talent to take outside bookings was Pete getting hurt on an indie show. If AEW have any sense, they'll start to do the same - they can't risk big PPV matches getting cancelled because someone gets hurt on a show outside of their control. Chances are the whole notion of "we'll let them work elsewhere so as long as it doesn't clash with AEW commitments" will only last five minutes once they're on TV, and the network and advertisers get wind of it anyway, it's just not practical.

In terms of whether or not AEW get the same heat WWE do for that decision - probably not. They're still the trendy new guys. But I do worry that, in the long-term, AEW could do more harm than good to a lot of areas of indie wrestling - some of the talent they're signing up, and rumoured to be signing up, are people who teach at training schools, who agent matches, and who bring a lot to the table outside of just what they do in-ring. Five or so years down the line, that impact could start to be felt in the next crop of indie wrestlers.

I don’t think they need to stop indie bookings at all. Injuries can happen anywhere, WWE don’t pull people from house shows or TV matches leading up to Wrestlemania. Just a bit of common sense not to work high injury risk matches in the run up to big AEW matches is enough. The Moxely thing is fucking stupid for them to allow him to compete in such an intense event before they have an important match. That should never have been signed off on.

Even then, it can still be worked around if people pick up injuries with a half decent story to work in. Fans know that injuries happen, just have a way to follow it up and give us something else. Replacing Mox with PAC is ideal, and saves Omega and Moxely for another time

30 minutes ago, TheToeSucker said:

Also it wasn't a regular injury. It's an infection. It would have happened regardless.

My Dad was a Thai Boxer back in the 90s, former British Heavyweight Champion too, and he picked up a career ending injury while training. Can’t remember the specifics but I think it was some sort of infection.

Injuries happen, pulling wrestlers from indie bookings won’t stop that. Just no mental shit right before big matches isn’t a lot to ask for 

Infections and illness obviously can't be avoided, but a compromise might be AEW requesting that contracted talent either can't work for other promotions in the fortnight leading up to a big show (to allow for adequate recovery or rebooking) or to vet bookings in the run up. That would leave talent half of the year to work wherever they please, while protecting AEW's investment. They'd also need to clearly define what constitutes a big show. Not ideal, and it's essentially a watered-down independent contractors problem again, but a possibility.

Edited by CavemanLynn

I know it’s a drop in name value, but I see replacing Moxley with PAC as an upgrade.  Moxley’s character motivation at the moment is “you guys got to do deathmatches and workrates while I was doing Dean Ambrose silly bollocks stuff” and I’m not into it - it’s as bad as Orange Cassidy for spotlighting wrestling being fake, but it’s meant to be taken seriously. I get that it works for most of the AEW fan base, mind.

I’m hoping that old Neville is gonna go in there with a proper heel mindset and the net result will really heat up Kenny as a babyface.

I think Moxley dropping out is a blessing in disguise for the show, and company, to be honest.

You get PAC coming in, who's probably going to have a better match with Kenny, and as Pitcos says, will be firmly working heel which should get Omega over hard as a top babyface, and you can now use your two biggest stars in Kenny/Mox to be the forefront of the beginning of your TV programming by building to an eventual match. 

8 hours ago, BomberPat said:

The catalyst for WWE getting far more strict on allowing NXT UK talent to take outside bookings was Pete getting hurt on an indie show. If AEW have any sense, they'll start to do the same - they can't risk big PPV matches getting cancelled because someone gets hurt on a show outside of their control. Chances are the whole notion of "we'll let them work elsewhere so as long as it doesn't clash with AEW commitments" will only last five minutes once they're on TV, and the network and advertisers get wind of it anyway, it's just not practical.

Janela and others have said that they're free up until TV taping starts, with the inference being that they have to stop afterwards. Which would make sense as they wouldn't have any money coming in until the TNT deal starts.

On 8/25/2019 at 1:21 PM, Supremo said:

I wonder if they’ll do Moxley vs. Omega I’m the first TNT show, now? Seems the perfect fit to compete against NXT.

Unlikely as Kenny and the Bucks are fighting Jericho and two mystery partners on week one. Moxley is scheduled to appear, but I don't think his first match is till week two, against Shawn Spears.

8 minutes ago, icecreamsnow said:

Janela and others have said that they're free up until TV taping starts, with the inference being that they have to stop afterwards. Which would make sense as they wouldn't have any money coming in until the TNT deal starts.

Omega is wrestling for DDT in November, practically 90% of their women’s roster are also taking bookings elsewhere after TV starts.  Moxley will no doubt work Wrestle Kingdom and other New Japan shows as well as Jericho.

Edited by TildeGuy~!