AEW All Out

Supremo

On 8/14/2019 at 11:40 PM, Seratonin said:

19 quid to watch something as good as DON isn't much, but they've lost some momentum, and don't think I trust them based on how terrible their booking is. The handful of stars they have seem to have no clear direction so I'll be riding this out until there's a match I really want to see. Also they need to be reminded of how to use babyfaces and heels and stop having every match go 20 minutes. Sorry Elite. 🤗

Really? I get that you've not been impressed, and therefore aren't buying, that's fair enough - but this point seems a little lost on me. I think they've done a pretty good job providing direction for their top guys over the course of the shows they've put on, and the build videos they've put on in-between.

For example:

Omega - Came in promoted as the top star, bottled it on the big occasion and is now heading for a redemption story-line against Moxley (which I wouldn't be surprised at all if he loses). He'll inevitably challenge for the top title, probably against Jericho.

Cody - The whole deal with Spears, which I'd be very surprised if it's a one and done deal, especially with the inclusion of Tully and the doors that could open. They've also allowed themselves room for a rematch with Darby with how that match finished. You've also got the ongoing story of wherever they plan on going with MJF to run with as well.

Jericho and Hangman - Title match, which has been built to well with their interactions.

Young Bucks - Their whole series with the Lucha Bros which will conclude with a gimmick match, which makes sense. Also booked in the tag tournament against Private Party, which makes sense as the established team helping to raise the stock of the new guys.

Moxley - Omega, and then virtually any possibility afterwards given how many fresh matches they can utilise him in. 

Even in the undercard, you've got the Havoc/Janela stuff which has been developed over a couple of shows, the Luchasaurus/Jungle Boy team, the OWE lads coming to try and make an impact, the Women's Championship being determined. There's a lot going on.

Not sure if I’d say it was worth doing because it got them negative attention while still building the brand’s image. However, they have made it out to be a huge deal and followed up with it. Back in the “good old days” that chair shot would have been forgotten about pretty quick. I’d quite happily never see one like that again, but if it’s gonna happen follow it up exactly like this.

Id like to see them include something like Cody declaring anyone who does a chair shot to the head is instantly fired as a result of this story. Always bugged me that in WWE no one does it, but there is no kayfabe reason that people never go for the head. We all know why, it has just never been explained why you can do outrageous acts of violence but no one does this. You can tip a truck on to someone but wouldn’t hit them in the head with a chair? Why?

Edited by UK Kat Von D

Yeah they’ve done a great job with this, it’s easily the match I’m looking forward to most at All Out. I think Cody, Spears, Moxley, Dustin and Jericho will be the my favourite workers in AEW. For all it’s faults, everyone that goes through WWE ends up a better worker. Although Dustin was always fucking great.

Northeast Wrestling just did Moxley vs Pentagon Jr which sounds absolutely mouth watering. Anybody seen it? Same show had Jerry Lawler opposite David Arquette in a tag match! Will have to track this one down.

Edited by Mr Butternut Squash

• Paid Members

The little build up packages they are doing just proves what simple story telling and fight-like hype can do to sell a match. I watched 3 episodes of the Countdown show and i'm well up for watching the Cody/Spears match, and thats coming from someone who had no real interest in either going in.

On 8/16/2019 at 6:15 PM, AdamTH17 said:

Really? I get that you've not been impressed, and therefore aren't buying, that's fair enough - but this point seems a little lost on me. I think they've done a pretty good job providing direction for their top guys over the course of the shows they've put on, and the build videos they've put on in-between.

For example:

Omega - Came in promoted as the top star, bottled it on the big occasion and is now heading for a redemption story-line against Moxley (which I wouldn't be surprised at all if he loses). He'll inevitably challenge for the top title, probably against Jericho.

Cody - The whole deal with Spears, which I'd be very surprised if it's a one and done deal, especially with the inclusion of Tully and the doors that could open. They've also allowed themselves room for a rematch with Darby with how that match finished. You've also got the ongoing story of wherever they plan on going with MJF to run with as well.

Jericho and Hangman - Title match, which has been built to well with their interactions.

Young Bucks - Their whole series with the Lucha Bros which will conclude with a gimmick match, which makes sense. Also booked in the tag tournament against Private Party, which makes sense as the established team helping to raise the stock of the new guys.

Moxley - Omega, and then virtually any possibility afterwards given how many fresh matches they can utilise him in. 

Even in the undercard, you've got the Havoc/Janela stuff which has been developed over a couple of shows, the Luchasaurus/Jungle Boy team, the OWE lads coming to try and make an impact, the Women's Championship being determined. There's a lot going on.

Yeah I'm sorry, I did actually word that poorly. I should have said I don't really see many of their guys as stars or headliners apart from Moxley and MJF, who is really the man. But looks like I'm in the minority.

I think Darby could go pretty far so long as he limits the big bumps to important matches and doesn't end up fucking himself up. Probably the closest they have to a Jeff Hardy.

MJF is indeed the man.

Cody still screams upper midcard to me.

Cassidy is fine in the midcard but I fear that his routine will end up being overexposed.

As much as I'm a fan of the majority of the women, no one has really stood out as being able to carry an entire division imo. Don't see what all the fuss about Baker is over and Shida has hardly been used.

Riho, Yuka, etc. all have Japan to juggle which I can see eventually causing problems, especially if they are expected to work more dates after TV has been established. Yuka in particular considering she's contracted to DDT.

Omega really needs some stand out matches.

I must admit I think Omega really needs something to make him stand out or I fear he will be just another wrestler. He was presented beyond perfectly in NJPW though I do wonder how he will fare with a far inferior roster to work off. These guys may be good but they aren't Okada, Tanahashi, Naito, Ibushi, Ishii et al. 

MJF is fantastic though how many 'great' matches has he had? I don't follow much other than MLW and he has been fine there but not 'wow' worthy. 

I concur, Cody seems little more than a solid hand but definitely mid-card. He has had one classic opposite the always great Dustin but what else? 

Cassidy better produce more than his lame gimmick if he is going to win me over. 

Good booking is more important than being an above average worker. That’s why WWE have no big stars but loads of brilliant wrestlers. Cody knows how to book himself, so he is going to be fine.

He had his best match ever with Dustin and a good match with a total unknown. He also made the NWA title relevant for the first time in god knows how long. More importantly he is already elevating Spears above all expectations, so he isn’t going to end up being viewed as another Triple H or Jarrett 

• Paid Members

I agree with Butch on this one. He's the only guy on the roster practically guaranteed to have main-event quality matches almost every time, and he's a decent promo. That match with Cody was a hell of a calling card. 

I like Cody and think he is main-event, but not the absolute top of it right now.