AEW All Out

Supremo

12 hours ago, Daaaaaad! said:

Yeah, nothing worse than being entertained or having fun, especially on a wrestling show. 

My problem with Orange Cassidy is, even if you do find it entertaining, how the hell do you keep it fresh or entertaining on weekly TV?

• Paid Members
13 hours ago, Snitsky's back acne said:

AEW has signed Orange Cassidy.
So much for the 'more sports orientated approach' then.
Somebody sold TNT and Tony Khan a big bag of bullshit with that one.

You must have been gutted when you found out the WWF wasn't really the revolutionary leader in sports entertainment for over 50 years.

It's all spin. Stop taking it so literally.

• Paid Members

If they have everyone on every week, they're dead in the water anyway. Orange Cassidy should be there occasionally, and he's perfect for house shows (if and when they start running them). If they didn't sign the guy that everyone talked about after his one appearance so far, they'd be idiots.

Considering what a vague statement 'sports-orientated' was, it's really been jumped on and boringly driven into the ground, hasn't it? Enough with the 'but, but this looks like *comedy* and people might think it's fake' crying - it was clear this was never going to be an absolutely straight, no-gimmicks style show, presented deadly seriously. They're being pretty clear that people are taking their wins/losses more seriously, and they're keeping the main events mostly serious in presentation. That's not a bad start, especially while they figure out the rest of the presentation.

One thing I'm really liking is that they're already talking about their opening match in week 2. AEW, if nothing else, is doing a good job at building things up in advance. The more they make a big deal about matches in advance, the better.

• Paid Members

Orange Cassidy is legitimately one of the best wrestlers on the US indie scene. The gimmick might get old if he's on TV every week, but for the odd match here and there, he'll be fine. And if they progress him away from the gimmick and into more "serious" matches (I don't think they should, fwiw), he has more than enough talent to make that work. 

• Paid Members
16 minutes ago, Chris B said:

Considering what a vague statement 'sports-orientated' was, it's really been jumped on and boringly driven into the ground, hasn't it? Enough with the 'but, but this looks like *comedy* and people might think it's fake' crying - it was clear this was never going to be an absolutely straight, no-gimmicks style show, presented deadly seriously. They're being pretty clear that people are taking their wins/losses more seriously, and they're keeping the main events mostly serious in presentation. That's not a bad start, especially while they figure out the rest of the presentation.

The majority of people (or feels like it) have spent the last 15 years crying about WWE's problems. The 50/50 thing has been a massive one. So AEW, in presenting themselves at the antithesis of WWE will need to avoid that. That's all any of this stuff means. I doubt they can do it but will say it because that's what a load of people want to hear.

In reality, it will be a good looking, well supported wrestling show that for the most part will be like everything else we've ever seen because everything has been done. If it's good, it's good. If it's bad, it's bad. We'll find out. Certainly no point harping on about every bit of spin everyone's ever said. Vinny Mac once said they won't insult the audiences intelligence and they do it 25 times a week. It's words.

1 hour ago, Chris B said:

If they have everyone on every week, they're dead in the water anyway. Orange Cassidy should be there occasionally, and he's perfect for house shows (if and when they start running them). If they didn't sign the guy that everyone talked about after his one appearance so far, they'd be idiots.

I honestly think that even if he is there occasionally his act has no life whatsoever after a couple of appearences. How can his act work into storylines, grudge matches, ppv matches? After you've seen the joke, what's next? How do you work a story, which is what I want when following wrestling on TV, with an act like that? 

• Paid Members
20 minutes ago, LEGIT said:

I honestly think that even if he is there occasionally his act has no life whatsoever after a couple of appearences. How can his act work into storylines, grudge matches, ppv matches? After you've seen the joke, what's next? How do you work a story, which is what I want when following wrestling on TV, with an act like that? 

I think it displays a paucity of creativity to suggest you can't get more than a couple of weeks out of him. If they just did the same thing over and over, then yes it would get old fast. However he seems like a creative chap, he can wrestle by all accounts so I don't envision it being much of an issue. His character is basically a bloke who can't be arsed to wrestle. You can get loads out of it. 

3 hours ago, gmoney said:

Yeah, or Luchasaurus. 

Fair point, but the difference for me is that Cassidy’s gimmick is very meta, whilst Luchasaurus is not. It’s clearly personal taste on my part - the fourth wall breaking style of comedy that just doesn’t work for me.

Don’t get me wrong, AEW should have a bit of humour to it. I just hate his brand of comedy and I’m more than happy to admit to my personal biases here.

Edited by RedRooster

• Paid Members

If you're someone who ever enjoyed Ebessan I/Kikutaro's work, you'll enjoy Orange Cassidy for a bit at least. I think there's a fair bit of mileage they can get out of him. It's just a matter of finding different angles to approach it from. Comedy wrestlers who'll play it purely for laughs, the grizzled old vet who finds him disrespectful and tries to drive him out or beat the shit out of him in an attempt to get him to wrestle seriously, the arrogant heel champ who chooses him as a challenger because he thinks he'll get an easy win, ends up losing and goes on to feud with him to try to get his win back, and those are just off the top of my head.

• Paid Members

Said this before but as long as no-one sells Orange Cassidy's offence with anything other than bemusement, then it's fine. He's a funny jobber. I've seen indy matches that are ridiculous but that's fine. Loads of indy stuff is nudge, nudge, wink, wink bollocks. AEW should be tighter than that.

I'm not bothered by THE BUSINESS BEING EXPOSED~! or anything like that but I just don't find this act amusing in the slightest. Same goes for basically any lmaaaaoooo hilarious in joke m8 indy gimmicks. Once they start on TV I would be stunned if the AEW brand of comedy (as seen on the abysmal pre-shows) was anything other than a ratings/boner killer.

Hopefully some better signings to come because for my tastes, once you get passed the very top guys, the roster is thin.