UFC Newark: Covington vs Lawler - Aug 3 🇺🇸

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?   

11 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Moderators
On 8/1/2019 at 6:29 AM, wandshogun09 said:

Old school fans will remember this. Robbie Lawler wrecking shit in Hawaii...

The old Wild West days of MMA right there. That mad woman attacking Lawler at the end is Vitale’s sister. 

Wow what a crazy fight. The kani basami takedown at 1:50 had me grimacing, thats a knee wrecker.

• Paid Members

Yeh, brilliant stuff. Ive talked about it in the past fights threads and stuff but those Hawaiian MMA shows were just mental, the crowds are red hot and theres always that element of danger to the whole thing. You need to see Lawler vs. Trigg from a Superbrawl/Icon show too. Mental stuff.

• Paid Members
32 minutes ago, Egg Shen said:

You need to see Lawler vs. Trigg from a Superbrawl/Icon show too. Mental stuff.

That’s one I’ve always wanted to watch but it’s always escaped me. Are the ICON shows on Fight Pass? I’ll have to have a look sometime. The fight went into the 4th round but I’ve only ever seen the finish in gif form and, well...

49203BCE-8DAB-4635-B815-F29EC72D6FBE.gif

• Paid Members

I've been practicing the power of trying to envisage something enough, that I'll be able to will it into existence, and now I've convinced myself what's going to happen. Robbie Lawler is going to wreck this fool. It'll be straight up murderer mode from Lawler, and he's coming for Colby's soul. 

I think in expecting Covington to wear Robbie out and win the decision, some of us are remembering the Lawler that fought on one leg against RDA more than the one that got stronger as the fight went on against Hendricks, Condit and McDonald. On past evidence of this UFC run, Robbie is more likely to win the 5th round than not. If Colby is to win a decision, then he has to stand with Robbie Lawler at least five times. Good luck to him I say. 

Edited by WeeAl

Jesus. Colby Covington is fucking good, isn't he?

It's hard to argue he isn't worthy of a title shot now (plus, he actually got the first family there) but I really want to see Colby/Masvidal after that. The build up would be astonishing.

• Paid Members

Well, fuck that for a game of darts. I couldn't have been more wrong. Colby completely shit Lawler down. Robbie had nothing for him due to the constant pressure Covington applied. To say I'm disappointed would be a bit of an understatement.

A lovely win for Jim Miller in his home state, making short work of Clay Guida. These type of fights for both of these veterans, and other fighters at similar stages, suits me down to the ground. 

Haqparast had a beautiful finish of Silva, that I missed while I was getting another beer between rounds. I came back in the room and thought Kelvin Gastelum had jumped in there and started wrecking lightweights. 

A strange night for submissions as well, there were three different cases that weren't spotted at the initial time time of the fighter passing out, or tapping. The first from Dean I could understand, but the Guida submission stoppage was poor work from Herb I thought. 

• Moderators
6 hours ago, WeeAl said:

the Guida submission stoppage was poor work from Herb I thought. 

Couldn't disagree more. A guillotine can come on in a few different ways, either blood choke, neck crank or windpipe crush. The latter two are gonna make you tap long before napping. Also its a sub where you can be safe and ride it out, in fact if you are safe then often you can try to tire the other person out by them trying to finish it. Herb checked the arm a couple times and could tell he way out and stopped it. Thats good reffing in my opinion.