How do you solve a problem like the AEW commentary booth?

RedRooster

4 minutes ago, LaGoosh said:

Eddie Kingston is a very good and charismatic colour commentator with a great voice and look. He doesn't seem to really be getting anywhere wrestling these days, bring him in I say.

He's a horrible person

Haha. Na not that I know of. Tbh maybe I'm being a bit arsey. I just hate him. Saw a promo of him from years back telling a fan to kill himself and such things, thought in any scenario that's a bit extreme. There was a clip recently of him giving a different overzealous fan a few slaps and that over the railing. Just makes himself look bad in my opinion. I hate wrestlers who treat fans like that, even if they have good reason there's professional ways of doing things. Don't have a high opinion of the guy 

Punk gets enough weirdos demanding he wrestle again, I can't imagine he'd want to sit right by the wrestling and break fan's brains even more.

• Paid Members
13 hours ago, LaGoosh said:

Eddie Kingston is a very good and charismatic colour commentator with a great voice and look. He doesn't seem to really be getting anywhere wrestling these days, bring him in I say.

Great choice! Slowly introduce him as a wrestler by feuding with MJF, who will constantly mock him for being AEW's version of Taz.

Eddie is a money promo, and is one of the most believable guys out there. Immense aura about the man. He must've burned a few bridges in his time because any promotion would be mad not to use him.

Also, I'm really not understanding folk who can't get past Excalibur's mask. You only see him on-camera in between matches, so 98% of the time you can only hear his voice. It doesn't affect how he calls a match so why should it affect your enjoyment of the commentary?

12 hours ago, TATTA said:

Keep JR, try and get CM Punk to complete the 2 man booth. Play by play and ex-wrestler - Perfection 

Excalibur is an ex-wrestler.

Edited by Accident Prone

• Paid Members
12 hours ago, LEGIT said:

Haha. Na not that I know of. Tbh maybe I'm being a bit arsey. I just hate him. Saw a promo of him from years back telling a fan to kill himself and such things, thought in any scenario that's a bit extreme. There was a clip recently of him giving a different overzealous fan a few slaps and that over the railing. Just makes himself look bad in my opinion. I hate wrestlers who treat fans like that, even if they have good reason there's professional ways of doing things. Don't have a high opinion of the guy 

"Overzealous"? The "fan" threw a punch at him.

Eddie's a top bloke in my experience, but not someone I'd put on commentary for a product like this. I'm not sure how much love he has left for wrestling, either, as he's been talking for a long time about retiring at the end of this year, and I'm not sure how much he'd want to be involved with wrestling once he's done in-ring.

• Paid Members

That's a massive shame about Eddie. I've enjoyed his work, both in-ring and behind the commentary booth, for around 15 years. He deserves a little something to hang his hat on at the end, and if he can stomach wrestling enough to stay in it after retirement, he'd make a great addition to the AEW crew as a producer, trainer, character coach or anything really.

I think this is a fairly easy one to solve. Marvez was way better on the pre-show without JR, he's not without merit, but the three man booth renders him useless because he can't out-cred Ross, he can't out-info Excalibur, but they need to create space for him to step in to the conversation and it drags the dynamic down. The announcing would be far better as a two man booth with JR and Excalibur - JR is a voice you need, and when the product is sharp and focused, nobody makes the good moments better than Jim, as he showed at DoN. When the TV show starts, its a two-man booth, but you use Marvez in the sports punditry role - similar to how, during an NFL broadcast, they throw to the dude with the fancy, state-of-the-art video screen in the studio, he starts moving shit and drawing lines with his digital pen, and he dishes out the analytics and little story bits to make the TV shows' two big matches of the week more intriguing. The old Dan Dierdorf role. He explains that nobody has ever kicked out of the One Winged Angel, but when the move got consistently countered by Jericho, he lost, so Kenny needs to hit it tonight if he wants to win. Let him talk about the different size and style between Jungle Boy and Luchasaurus, and how traditionally teams match, and the edge it gives them against opponents to have one of each, harkening back to teams like the Hart Foundation that made it work historically. Explain the psychology behind "the champion's advantage", and how Jericho, the wisest sage in the company, is able to use it to sit on top of AEW. Stuff like that. He has a great voice and his delivery is good when the material is there (on one of the "Road to Fight for the Fallen" vids, they had him do a more casual version of this and it worked well), so use him to progress the sports vibe - that's the world he comes from anyway.

Edited by Liam O'Rourke

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, Liam O'Rourke said:

similar to how, during an NFL broadcast, they throw to the dude with the fancy, state-of-the-art video screen in the studio, he starts moving shit and drawing lines with his digital pen, and he dishes out the analytics and little story bits to make the TV shows' two big matches of the week more intriguing. The old Dan Dierdorf role. He explains that nobody has ever kicked out of the One Winged Angel, but when the move got consistently countered by Jericho, he lost, so Kenny needs to hit it tonight if he wants to win. Let him talk about the different size and style between Jungle Boy and Luchasaurus, and how traditionally teams match, and the edge it gives them against opponents to have one of each, harkening back to teams like the Hart Foundation that made it work historically. Explain the psychology behind "the champion's advantage", and how Jericho, the wisest sage in the company, is able to use it to sit on top of AEW. Stuff like that.

A few years back I thought I could do something like this, as analytical stuff that ties in with a narrative is pretty much what I do in my head when I'm really invested in a match or feud. My plan was to do it week-to-week for WWE's weekly shows and throw it on YouTube, but real life got in the way and my speech is really giving me a case of the Buxomlys as I enter my 30's. It's a cracking idea though, and there's loads of stories to whip up that add that extra bit of legitimacy to it all (no matter how absurd the gimmicks or characters). 

Edited by Accident Prone