How do you solve a problem like the AEW commentary booth?

RedRooster

Current summary of Alex Marvez skills and tally of possible Alex Marvez destinations:

Move him to a backstage interviewer role

Put him in the bin forever

Fire him out of a cannon into the sun

He's so bad he shouldn't be allowed to announce again, because he's got nothing

Getting rid of him is an absolute necessity, he's awful

One of my main thoughts during the World of Sports run was that they missed a trick from the original run by not looking for an actor/presenter. When you're so desperate that you're putting Alex Shane on commentary then its got to be worth a gamble. Kent Walton supposedly knew bugger all about wrestling until he got the World of Sport gig. 

It just seems like looking in the wrestling world for good announcers is very limiting. And someone who commentators on a sport is not necessarily going to have the easiest transition into calling wrestling (although Jonathan Pearce's commentary on Robot Wars makes me think he's the best wrestling announcer not announcing wrestling).  An actor (not a star obviously) can learn the names and at least fake enthusiasm. It'd probably work better for AEW as they've got JR to coach someone. 

38 minutes ago, Vamp said:

One of my main thoughts during the World of Sports run was that they missed a trick from the original run by not looking for an actor/presenter. When you're so desperate that you're putting Alex Shane on commentary then its got to be worth a gamble. Kent Walton supposedly knew bugger all about wrestling until he got the World of Sport gig. 

It just seems like looking in the wrestling world for good announcers is very limiting. And someone who commentators on a sport is not necessarily going to have the easiest transition into calling wrestling (although Jonathan Pearce's commentary on Robot Wars makes me think he's the best wrestling announcer not announcing wrestling).  An actor (not a star obviously) can learn the names and at least fake enthusiasm. It'd probably work better for AEW as they've got JR to coach someone. 

AEW wouldn’t be allowed to do that. Hollywood is where WWE hires sports entertainment people from, AEW is for real wrestling fans. Dey’d go mad if AEW was fronted by a polished presenter who looks nice in his suit instead of some no-mark from the indies. It would make the promotion come across as less of a shitshow, though.

22 minutes ago, UK Kat Von D said:

Jack-Whitehall.jpg

Nah, he's a shit standup comedian who has branched out into shit acting. Doesn't count. 

Plus he ruined that Asterix and Obelix movie for me and therefore doesn't deserve any work ever again.

• Paid Members

Depends, eh. JR showed during the Cody/Dustin match that when the action is genuinely good he's still more than capable of elevating a match. If their telly show is all geek references, awful comedy and flips then JR is definitely going to sound like he's found out there are no more puppies in the world. However, the talk was the proper telly show is going to be mostly serious business and in that environment I think JR will show his worth. For all his flaws, at the very least he's a name and voice casual fans will know and respect. 

Excalibur has some potential, but he's still not very good. At least JR seems to entertain his mutterings, however inane.

Marvez has absolutely nothing going for him in the role. He makes nothing points (some are detrimental to the show) and he has the delivery of a man that would rather be somewhere else. I mean, forgot all the important making a good salesman stuff, have a person there with a good voice.

For now, I'd just have JR and Excalibur. Ideally they get an old pro / familiar face in there. It's a shame they won't give Jim Cornette a chance because, for what I've seen, he's shown he's still one of the best about on MLW.

Or Scott Steiner.