UFC 240: Holloway vs Edgar - Jul 27 🇨🇦

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?   

9 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Dana White has always had a problem with Cyborg. The way both he and Joe Rogan (I'll get to him in a little while) talked about her was fucking ridiculous;

I can't have been the only one who watched that fight at the weekend there and thought Rogan's commentary was off, surely? He spent 99% of the time admiring how much Spencer was able to get punched in the face and keep coming, he kept banging on about how Cyborg's confidence must be shot after getting flatlined, and he essentially had her gassing out after 30 seconds of the first round.

The cunt was that euphoric over her apparent lack of cardio that he seemed to believe it was a five round fight, and that she'd never last the full five. When Anik politely reminded him that it was a three round fight he was like "okay, well, I really wish this was a five round fight."

Despite his insistence, Cyborg finished the fight strong and looked no more gassed than anyone else who'd been through a hard 15 minute fight.

Very good Joe. He's one to talk about anyone's appearance. His fucking head had grown to twice its size in the past ten years due to his willingness to fuck about with PED's. His commentary work is terrible, he should have been dumped alongside Goldberg. I much prefer the other commentators we see these days.

• Paid Members

Yeah, I wasn’t really listening to the commentary the first time because my daughter was chatting the head off me. I watched the fight back last night though and 1) it was way more clear cut a one-sided Cyborg beating than I initially thought and 2) Rogan was talking absolute gibberish throughout. On first watch I thought Spencer was more competitive than she actually was but I think that was more me being surprised she was still there after a round and the novelty of seeing Cyborg cut. I never once thought Cyborg looked ‘gassed’ and was really baffled when Rogan kept pushing that narrative. Looking back I think it’s clear that they wanted to play her performance down in case she leaves but it’s a shitty and unprofessional way to handle it. 

I haven’t watched that Cyborg interview above yet but I saw her appearance on Helwani’s show from Monday and I felt really sorry for her. It’s mental that you have the biggest MMA promotion in the world and two of the most powerful and influential figures in it - Dana White and Joe Rogan - can publicly make the comments they have about Cyborg. And what has she done? As far as I can tell she just does her job. She’s one of the best women’s fighters ever, she’s exciting to watch in the cage, she’s great with fans, she’s worked hard to promote herself (she’s got to really, the UFC aren’t backing her) and I’d definitely say she’s grown in popularity over the last couple of years. And that’s despite Dana White’s attempts to diminish her. She’s exactly the kind of fighter any promoter would want on their roster. Yet Dana has some problem with her. Whether it’s the Ronda thing, the Tito links, the fact she doesn’t look like Paige VanZant...it’s fucking stupid. Especially when we’re talking about a 50 year old multi-millionaire. 

In the Helwani interview she talked about wanting a one fight deal. That’s going to be another sticking point. I can see why the UFC won’t go for that, to be fair. But I get her reasoning. She says that they wanted her to sign a 6 fight contract but they don’t sign enough girls at 145 to have her fighting enough, so that 6 fights could take forever. All the while in a promotion where the promoter clearly hates her and trashes her to the media. But the only way they do that one fight deal is like Jim says, with the ‘champions clause’. So if Nunes beats her again, Cyborg’s free to leave. But if Cyborg wins, there’s no way they let her walk with the belt so it’d extend with each fight until she loses the title. She’s also saying she wants a public apology from Dana and Rogan. Can’t see Dana doing that because it would require him to admit he was wrong  and when does he ever do that? I saw a quote from Rogan’s podcast the other night and he kind of apologised but it was one of them apologies that didn’t actually contain the word ‘sorry’ and the comments about it were that he went on to make a load of excuses after. 

I just can’t see this getting sorted out and as much as I want to see Nunes vs Cyborg 2, I think Cyborg might be better off and certainly happier going elsewhere. 

0245CB8E-0689-4BE4-9618-7290302AACB1.jpeg

See, Coker is by no means a saint, he's a fight promoter for fuck sake, but compared to Dana he's definitely a good guy. He recognises who can make him money, and he realises that his job is to work with them to maximise the pull and financial gain of all concerned. That's what promoters do.

Unless you're Dana "scorched earth" White, who seems like he's happy to burn $100 bills just to prove a point. 

• Paid Members

Yeah I think Coker’s the kind of guy where if he has an issue with a fighter he keeps it behind the scenes or in the negotiating table or whatever. He doesn’t hang his dirty laundry out for every fucker to see. Out in the public he does his job and promotes his fighters and his shows. I’m sure there are fighters on the Bellator roster who he isn’t keen on personally but you wouldn’t know because he stays professional. Like you say, no angel I’m sure, but he’s clearly nowhere near the childish, vindictive cunt Dana is. You look at the list of fighters Coker has dealt with over the years - from Fedor to Cyborg to Nick Diaz to Rampage to Ronda Rousey to Ken Shamrock to Kimbo to fucking Mayhem Miller - and I don’t recall one of them having anything bad to say about him. He’s probably the only fight promoter you never hear a bad word about. Invicta’s Shannon Knapp is another, even fighters who’ve left Invicta still seem to love her and give her shout outs after UFC wins and stuff. But they’re the exceptions. I’m sure Coker can be a bastard when he wants something done behind the scenes but he seems a lot more fair and professional than most promoters from what I’ve seen, heard and read over the years. 

I hadn't seen that clip of Dana saying Cyborg looked like Wanderlai in a dress and high heels before - good grief. Could you even fathom someone in the real world getting away with that kind of shit? Rogan made his name doing slightly edgy comedy, so you can see where he's coming from, going for the obvious dick joke in front of his cackling acolytes, but I do wonder why someone of his age, having interviewed loads of intelligent people on his podcast, is still in this frat boy mentality. The UFC wouldn't miss him at all if he fucked off back to his conspiracy theories and fellating Alex Jones.

• Paid Members

Joe Rogan’s comedy is shit as well. I never watched any of it for years but the way he talked about himself on his podcast and the way some of his guests would lick his arse I thought he must be the white Richard Pryor or something. I watched one of his shows and, well, Ben Askren has better standup. It was crap. Just lots of shouting and pulling faces and this; 

6A99A872-6D41-4DC6-B2E4-A96B54D7CD86.gif

Hilarious! I guess he does well out of it but I’m baffled as to why because it wasn’t funny at all. And now he’s convinced Brendan Schaub he’s a comedian and I’ll never, ever forgive him for that. 

Oh, it's pretty bad. First time I heard his act was in 2003 and an American I was with at the time made me listen to it because she thought I'd get a kick out of it. It was about how stupid soccer was because people have been killed in crushes. Were I youtuber I'd have been pausing, looking sideways and saying "wait...what, really?"

Edited by Brewster McCloud

1 hour ago, wandshogun09 said:

Joe Rogan’s comedy is shit as well. I never watched any of it for years but the way he talked about himself on his podcast and the way some of his guests would lick his arse I thought he must be the white Richard Pryor or something. I watched one of his shows and, well, Ben Askren has better standup. It was crap. Just lots of shouting and pulling faces and this; 

6A99A872-6D41-4DC6-B2E4-A96B54D7CD86.gif

Hilarious! I guess he does well out of it but I’m baffled as to why because it wasn’t funny at all. And now he’s convinced Brendan Schaub he’s a comedian and I’ll never, ever forgive him for that. 

Brendan Schaub's stand up special got absolutely destroyed in reviews. If you want a laugh do a google of peoples thoughts on that train wreck.

I can't stand Rogans stand up either. He is terrible. As is Joey Diaz. Rogans whole group of LA comedian friends are all pretty shit tbh.

• Paid Members

I love Joey Diaz on podcasts. But I’ve never watched his standup and I don’t think I want to just incase it ruins him for me. 

I’ve caught bits and pieces of the feedback to Schaub’s attempts at standup and it sounds as awful as you’d expect. 

0F44AA37-39C4-4988-884E-6DBF5856089A.jpeg

• Paid Members
4 hours ago, David said:

Dana White has always had a problem with Cyborg. The way both he and Joe Rogan (I'll get to him in a little while) talked about her was fucking ridiculous;

I can't have been the only one who watched that fight at the weekend there and thought Rogan's commentary was off, surely? He spent 99% of the time admiring how much Spencer was able to get punched in the face and keep coming, he kept banging on about how Cyborg's confidence must be shot after getting flatlined, and he essentially had her gassing out after 30 seconds of the first round.

Had a conversation about this with a workmate this morning. If anyone didnt know better you'd have thought it was 1-1 going into round 3, Rogan was acting like Spencer had her beat, it was incredibly strange. Only one fighter was doing damage near enough the entire fight. I dont think theres an agenda behind it though, i just think it was a case of Rogan getting excited and carried away that Spencer didnt get smashed.

Props to Spencer though, what an effort.

3 minutes ago, Brewster McCloud said:

Remember Cain Vs JDS when Rogan was talking all sorts of rubbish? When he gets an idea in his massive head he just can't let it go.

I can't remember his commentary in that specific bout.

But aye, if he gets an idea in his head during a fight, he tends to run it into the ground. It's frustrating, because while I have never really been fond of him on a personal level, he can be a very good commentator/pundit. 

I want to like him, I really do, as much as I used to, as he was a big part of my enjoyment of the sport when he'd explain the strategies of fighters and stuff. He's absolutely capable of being smart and articulate. But now? He's such a weirdo. He'll have a great conversation with Louis Theroux and then he'll be totally cool about horrible cunts like Alex Jones. He's 50. He should have a clue by now.