UFC 240: Holloway vs Edgar - Jul 27 🇨🇦

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?   

9 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• 2 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, wandshogun09 said:

Just this week again Dana has been saying Cyborg is dodging the Nunes rematch because she’s “scared to lose” or some cobblers. Not buying that for a second. 

I don't believe that for a second. Cyborg is not someone to dodge anything and I can't belive she dosent want to avenge her only loss to date 

• Paid Members

Anyone else feeling like Frankie Edgar is being overlooked going into this one? I get that Holloway is going to be favoured but it’s still Frankie Edgar we’re talking about. It feels like most people are seeing this as a foregone conclusion that Max retains. That’s from bits I’m reading/hearing. But mostly, nobody is even talking about it. This could be a very tough fight for Max. Edgar has a lot of miles on him but he’s still a great fighter. Then there’s the factor of Holloway coming off that beating from Poirier. Plus, the styles. We really haven’t seen Holloway deal with a wrestler like Frankie before. Ever. He’s never faced a wrestler as good as Frankie Edgar. Granted, Max is in or closer to his prime, he’s younger and he’ll enjoy a size advantage. But style-wise, assuming Frankie doesn’t just try to box with him, this could be a tricky one for Max. I’m pretty much 50/50 on this fight. 

• Paid Members

Maybe but if Frankie comes with a heavy wrestling approach it could get interesting. Holloway won’t be easy to take down because he never stands still but seriously, who’s the best takedown artist we’ve seen Max in with? They’ve pretty much been exclusively strikers/BJJ guys. He never crossed paths with Chad Mendes or anyone like that on the way up. So we’ve never really seen his wrestling tested. The one time we did see someone really go all out to take him down and control him was when a gimpy kneed Conor McGregor outwrestled him for the second half of their fight. Now that was 6 years ago, I’ve got no doubt Max will have improved. But if a one-legged Conor McGregor was having his way with him in the takedown battle and from top position, then will he have improved enough to where Frankie Edgar has no luck scoring takedowns? 

I think a lot of people are putting too much stock into Frankie’s loss to Ortega as well. Yeah, it was the first time he’d been stopped and it’s never good to get knocked out in the first round. But Frankie also accepted that fight on very short notice after Max pulled out. 

Don’t get me wrong, I’m probably leaning towards Holloway myself. But I don’t think it’s as easy a pick as many are making out. I could see Max looking great. I also wouldn’t be shocked to see Edgar shut his shit down. A bit like he did the last time everyone wanted to declare him ready for the scrapheap when Yair Rodriguez was supposed to annihilate him and Frankie fucked him up. Obviously, Holloway is another level to Yair but Edgar is nobody to write off. Especially when we really don’t know what we’re dealing with when it comes to Holloway’s defensive wrestling. 

This is all going on the assumption that Frankie wants to wrestle though. If he fancies outboxing Max then yeah, I think he’s fucked. As good as Edgar’s boxing is, I don’t think he does well in a striking match here with Max’s range, speed, movement and combinations. 

The problem for Frankie is that every fight begins on the feet, and he's going to have to box for a bit before even attempting the takedown. I can see him getting badly hurt within a few minutes.

His best opportunity could come if Holloway finds the weight difficult to deal with after his move up, but that likely won't happen. 

I think Edgar will be competitive on the feet in the early rounds. Holloway usually starts slow and then turns up the volume in the middle stages. But I can't see past Holloway winning on points unless Edgar can consistently grapplefuck him and spoil his work. 

Although, given that I went woeful 4-9 on my fight picks last weekend, and cursed Mousasi and Askren by having them as my avatar before their recent losses, my predictive power should not be taken seriously. 

Rockhold will still come good though, obviously. 

• Paid Members
21 hours ago, David said:

Think Holloway will destroy Edgar in all honesty. The style of matchup isn't good for Frankie.

Totally agree and for that reason I'm not that interested in the fight. I struggle to think of a PPV card I've been less interested in.

I don't think Edgar's getting destroyed. I think he'll be solid value for the first couple of rounds, but similarly to the Aldo fights I can envision Max turning the pace up heading into the 3rd/4th and overwhelming him en route to a stoppage. I don't think it'll be like the Ortega stoppage, where it's one massive shot that sends him into another realm, I just see Holloway having too much in the gas tank and having the more fluid striking, especially with the size and reach distance he's going to have over Frankie.