UFC 240: Holloway vs Edgar - Jul 27 🇨🇦

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?   

9 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Paid Members

Back in Canada on Saturday 27th July, as the UFC returns to Edmonton, Alberta. 

B57-CFDA0-849-C-495-A-990-B-DF3-CF49729-

PPV MAIN CARD
Max Holloway vs Frankie Edgar - Featherweight Title

Cris Cyborg vs Felicia Spencer 

Geoff Neal vs Niko Price 

Olivier Aubin-Mercier vs Arman Tsarukyan 

Marc-Andre Barriault vs Krzysztof Jotko 

ESPN PRELIMS
Alexis Davis vs Viviane Araújo 

Hakeem Dawodu vs Yoshinori Horie 

Gavin Tucker vs Seung Woo Choi 

Alexandre Pantoja vs Deiveson Figueiredo 

FIGHT PASS PRELIMS
Gillian Robertson vs Sarah Frota

Erik Koch vs Kyle Stewart 

Not the best of cards. I love the main event (hopefully it actually happens this time) and the co-main is OK. But the rest is very Fight Night-ish. Hopefully the fights deliver but it’s one of those PPVs where it really hits home that the roster is being spread thin these days. 

67726-B8-A-CA36-41-F8-91-F0-66-CFE469-F0

Max Holloway vs Frankie Edgar then. I almost don’t want to type anything about this fight because this is the third time it’s been officially booked and we’ve still yet to see it. I don’t want to jinx it. It’s not Khabib vs Ferguson levels of cursed but it’s not that far off. Still, glass half full. 

5-C7-E09-C6-65-CA-40-CF-A421-7-DA101-F33

Attempt #1 - UFC 218 in December 2017. Holloway had just won the title off Jose Aldo in the June. Edgar had mauled Yair Rodriguez in May. We were all set to go but just a few weeks out, Edgar pulled out with an injury and that was that. Aldo stepped in for a rematch and Holloway ended up smashing him up again. 

6041-A04-F-9-C25-495-B-8-E01-DE3-C6-D981

Attempt #2 - UFC 222 in March 2018. Once again, just weeks before the fight was to take place, it all went tits up. This time it was Holloway who pulled out with a knee injury. Edgar accepted a late opponent switch and got swiftly knocked out by Brian Ortega in the first round in a bit of a shocker.

From there Holloway successfully defended the title against Ortega. While Edgar bounced back cruising to a points win over Cub Swanson. In April this year, Holloway went up to lightweight to face Dustin Poirier for the 155lbs interim title.

BB0-AAC61-AB2-D-48-F1-8-A16-6-F9-D392799

694688-FD-523-F-4770-B573-52-EADE80-A08-

It didn’t go well. Poirier proved too big, too strong, too tough and too powerful on the night and gave Max a bit of a beating over 5 bloody rounds. 

17-A1262-B-CCA8-4-E6-A-BEC7-AA0-F05-F923

And here we are. Holloway is back at 145lbs to defend his belt. Hopefully it’ll be a case of third time lucky and this fight will actually materialise this time. There was a time when this was a real dream fight for me, and I still think it might be great. But I’m unsure what to expect from Frankie. He’s been inactive for about 15 months now. And even Max is coming off that war with Poirier. It probably isn’t the time to get the best out of these two but you never know. Maybe they’ll come in even more determined and motivated to really boss this fight and prove who the Daddy at featherweight is. 

C0424-D59-4054-4207-AE24-D9197-C93-B68-E

Cris Cyborg vs Felicia Spencer feels like a bit of a weak co-main, mostly because we barely know Spencer. She’s only one fight deep into her UFC career. But she’s undefeated at 7-0 with 5 finishes, submitted her last 3 opponents, former Invicta champ, subbed Megan Anderson in a round in her Octagon debut in May. And she’s Canadian. She said after beating Anderson that she’d be down to fight Cyborg and Cyborg jumped all over that and accepted the challenge. Just like that, it’s on. I know fighters will generally fight anyone but there must’ve been a part of Spencer that regretted letting Cyborg’s name slip from her mouth. 

D99570FE-E494-4EB3-95C9-011518D56109.gif

We barely knew ya.

Seriously, I wouldn’t want to be the opponent for Cyborg right about now. She’s coming off getting wiped out by Amanda Nunes in December and you just know she’s going to unleash 7 months of rage when that cage door closes. This is the last fight on Cyborg’s current contract but I’ve seen Dana’s on about doing the Nunes rematch so hopefully they can sort her a new deal out whatever the result here against Spencer. They can’t afford to lose one of the 4 fighters that make up the women’s 145 ‘division’ can they?

12856027-0223-4-FF0-B98-C-B48-E3-E441384

Geoff Neal vs Niko Price is ***WAND’S ONE TO WATCH*** this time. It’s a fight that probably nobody will talk about but it could be quality. Neal is 11-2 and riding a 5 fight win streak. He’s beat Belal Muhammad and Frank Camacho in his last couple of fights. And Price is a bit of a maniac. Never a dull moment. He’s 13-2-1 and dangerous from every position. He KO’d Randy Brown with hammerfists off his back, for fuck’s sake! He also knocked out Tim Means in a one round barnburner in March. If you haven’t seen that fight you should watch it. One of the best scraps so far this year for me. Wild one rounder that Price was losing before shutting Means’ lights off out of nowhere. So yeah, I’m expecting a fun one here. 

26-CF211-F-5827-406-C-AEE8-7-E42-D96-AF2

Olivier Aubin-Mercier vs Arman Tsarukyan is a funny one for me. I can’t be arsed with OAM. Find him mostly dull as dishwater and can’t be doing with his silly ‘Canadian Gangster’ self appointed nickname. I don’t think he’s ever had a fight I’ve enjoyed. But Tsarukyan really impressed me in his UFC debut on the Russia show in April. He went 3 hard rounds with Islam Makhachev, who’s a beast, and they had an awesome grappling battle. Tsarukyan came up short on the judges cards but he showed enough that people were high on him and he looks to have serious potential. He’s got a 13-2 record and he’s still only 22 years old. I’d love to see him shine here at boring arse OAM’s expense. 

39975125-B12-A-40-EE-AABC-62-E4-E2-BE84-

Marc-Andre Barriault vs Krzysztof Jotko should be worth a look. Barriault is the Canadian in this one. 11-2 record and was the champ in both the 185 and 205 divisions in the TKO promotion in Canada. The same promotion where GSP started. He debuted in the UFC on the Cerrone vs Iaquinta undercard in Ottawa in May. He lost a decision to Andrew Sanchez. They’re not exactly doing him any favours throwing him right back in with Jotko here. Jotko is 20-4 and a UFC vet of 11 fights. 

7998-FB5-A-23-BA-4-A7-F-A904-A7113-ABCE9

Alexis Davis vs Viviane Araújo could be interesting. Davis is a veteran at 34 years old with a record of 19-9. Shes mostly remembered for that time she got ragdolled in seconds by Ronda Rousey, but she was legit. She’s a BJJ black-belt and has wins over the likes of Liz Carmouche twice, Tonya Evinger twice, Sarah Kaufman, Jessica Eye, Shayna Baszler and Julie Kedzie. In 2011, she also TKO’d some fucker called Amanda Nunes. She’s struggled in recent years though. And here she’s in with a hungry and very violent opponent in Viviane Araújo. She’s 7-1, all finishes, and knocked the absolute shite out of Talita Bernardo in her Octagon debut at UFC 237. 

31-CC124-E-283-C-4163-8-CA5-048-D09-BF6-

Hakeem Dawodu vs Yoshinori Horie is a fight where I’m going in half blind. I’m familiar with Dawodu. He’s fought in the UFC, he’s Canadian, 9-1-1 in MMA and coming off wins over Kyle Bochniak and Austin Arnett. He’s a striker and also has a 12-0 Kickboxing record and a 42-5 amateur Muay Thai record. Hasn’t had any blow away performances in the UFC yet but I like his style. Horie is the newbie. Japanese, obviously, 24 years old with a 8-1 record. Fought mostly in Pancrase and this is his UFC debut. 

9-BC8-EB46-09-FA-4612-8781-756-C922-CD7-

Gavin Tucker vs Seung Woo Choi could be decent. Tucker is the Canadian hometown boy here. In 2017 he came into the UFC with some hype as an undefeated prospect. He beat Sam Sicilia in his debut but dropped a decision to Rick Glenn in his next fight. He’s 10-1 now and hasn’t fought since September 2017 due to injuries. Choi is 7-2 and was the featherweight champion for a promotion called Top FC. He debuted in the UFC in April, losing on points to Movsar Evloev. Could be an OK fight but I’m not that arsed. 

65-BF0795-1-CD5-4-B86-824-F-393-E321837-

Alexandre Pantoja vs Deiveson Figueiredo might be a darkhorse show stealer. Even just the nicknames - ‘The Cannibal’ vs ‘The God Of War’. Pantoja is 21-3 with finishes over Wilson Reis, Ulka Sasaki and Neil Seery. And Figueiredo is 15-1 and was unbeaten before Jussier Formiga outpointed him in March. Really good striker, I recall him looking a bit of a killer taking John Moraga apart before the Formiga loss. Should be a good ‘un. 

BD758-DB7-BB01-4318-873-F-7-B25186-B5566

Gillian Robertson vs Sarah Frota is a nothing fight. Robertson is Canadian, 6-3 record, trains at ATT and was on TUF if I’m remembering right. Her UFC highlight so far is submitting Molly McCann in Liverpool. Frota is a scary looking fucker, isn’t she? She’s Brazilian, 9-1, lost her debut to Livinha Souza at UFC 237 in May. 

20-F59-DA8-539-A-41-CE-ACE0-7204-C3737-B

Erik Koch vs Kyle Stewart...OK, was originally listed as the PPV opener, which seemed so odd. Glad they’ve reshuffled. Koch hasn’t fought since January 2018 and hasn’t won a fight since May 2016. Stewart is 11-2, got submitted in a round in his UFC debut in January and his nickname is ‘Gunz Up’. Ugh. 

9-DEB26-E0-BAFF-4-F34-B11-F-D5-FE73899-B

Giacomo Lemos vs Tanner Boser...just look at this pair. Both UFC newcomers. I know fuck all about these two but just looking at them, it’s now a fight I want to see. Having flashbacks of the SEG era here. From what I’m reading, Lemos is Brazilian, 6-0 with 6 finishes. Boser is Canadian, 16-5-1 and, unsurprisingly looking at him, a former truck driver. 

So that’s 240. Team Canada. 

85B6F22F-E70F-4BAC-8689-34C4AADB650F.jpeg

Edited by wandshogun09

9 hours ago, Egg Shen said:

yeh, the bout order is wrong wand. the main card outside of the main and co-main is (confirmed during the 239 PPV):

Neal/Price

Aubin-Mercier/Tsarukyan

Barriault/Jotko

That's still piss poor for a PPV event in my opinion. Aside from the top two fights there's nothing else on there that I wouldn't have a problem with missing entirely.

• Paid Members
19 minutes ago, David said:

That's still piss poor for a PPV event in my opinion. Aside from the top two fights there's nothing else on there that I wouldn't have a problem with missing entirely.

It's not even the strength of a TV card. It's an ESPN + show, with Holloway/Edgar on top. Depending on what's going on that weekend, If it's quiet I might watch more of the show, but it's quite likely I just watch Cyborg/Spencer, Holloway/Edgar and Neal/Price unspoiled then seek out anything that sounds worth the time after that. 

This past weekends show, with all the noteworthy happenings, was there a fight worth going out of your way to watch from the prelims? Not a finish, but a competitive fight? I saw the main card, and Yadong's big KO, but that was it. For all the talk of how good a show it was, with some crazy finishes, it lacked a really dynamic, exciting, competitive fight to make it a show of the year contender for me. Compared to the top three fights at 238 (Cejudo Vs Moraes), I think 239 comes out behind. 

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, David said:

i dont disagree

• Paid Members

Nah @Dead Mike, for now at least, BT are only putting about 3 events a year on Box Office. I reckon they might try charging for the Khabib vs Poirier show next (especially if it’s on at a decent time for us with it being in Abu Dhabi). And if McGregor fights before the end of the year you can bet they’ll whack the £20 charge on that. 

I’d be interested to know how many buys BT got for 239. Pretty much every single person I spoke to said there was no way they’d be paying for it. And some were pretty hardcore fans. I didn’t pay for it, I know most of you on here didn’t pay for it, every tweet I saw about it was negative. I’d be surprised if it did well. 

14 minutes ago, wandshogun09 said:

Nah @Dead Mike, for now at least, BT are only putting about 3 events a year on Box Office. I reckon they might try charging for the Khabib vs Poirier show next (especially if it’s on at a decent time for us with it being in Abu Dhabi). And if McGregor fights before the end of the year you can bet they’ll whack the £20 charge on that. 

I’d be interested to know how many buys BT got for 239. Pretty much every single person I spoke to said there was no way they’d be paying for it. And some were pretty hardcore fans. I didn’t pay for it, I know most of you on here didn’t pay for it, every tweet I saw about it was negative. I’d be surprised if it did well. 

I was talking to a mate of mine last night and said exactly the same thing, I think the ppv buys for this will be extremely low but I suppose we will see

I hadn't actually seen this full card until I saw a lot of complaints about it on twitter last night. Fucking hell its absolute farts isn't it?

Good job they are getting the guaranteed ESPN money because I cannot fathom many people parting with money for this. I would skip all but the last 2 fights even on free TV.

• Paid Members

It’s definitely weak. There’s still some stuff outside the main and co-main worth a look though. Like I said, Neal vs Price should be fireworks and Arman Tsarukyan and Viviane Araújo could be good prospects. Both impressed me in their UFC debuts. Got a feeling that Lemos vs Boser heavyweight tussle might be perversely entertaining as well. 

It is one of those PPVs though, where it’s so top heavy that if one of the main eventers gets injured (and let’s face it, we’re already 0-2 on attempts at getting Holloway vs Edgar in the cage), this card will implode like others have in the past and either get downgraded to a Fight Night with Cyborg vs Spencer headlining or it’ll get binned altogether. Hopefully that’s not the case and the main event stays intact. But I’d be lying if I said I was confident it goes ahead.