UFC on ESPN: Dos Anjos vs Edwards - Jul 20 🇺🇸

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?   

5 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

12 hours ago, WeeAl said:

I didn't know about Gross, but they've hired Chad Dundas, Ben Fowlkes, Chuck Mindenhall and Shaun Al-Shatti recently.

Mindenhall and Al-Shatti do a podcast over there as well, which is nice and light at around an hour a throw. I may be tempted by that to be honest, along with the writing. At $8 a month it's not a lot to pay for quality content.

I'm not sure about anyone else but I've found myself growing tired of the type of angles taken by the likes of MMA Fighting.com of late, as it's clear that they're reaching for clicks. Their diminishing revenue is probably a huge part of why they're going down this route, but it's making me read less and less.

If The Athletic is offering the writers I enjoyed, providing the high-end, in depth coverage I like then $8 isn't much to pay for it.

• Paid Members

You're right on that David. I scrolled the whole page of MMA Fighting on Monday and looked at all the headlines, and I can't remember clicking on more than one article/news piece. There's next to nothing with any value on their website anymore and it's been pretty sudden really.

As well as that, with losing a lot of their best guys, they aren't as quick on the breaking news/fight announcements either so they haven't got that going for them either. I could see a possible website merger coming at some point soon maybe. 

• Paid Members

Yeah the MMA news outlet sites have really gone down the tubes. I binned off Junkie years back and since Helwani left MMA fighting, the wheels have slowly started to come off there too. Anytime I watch a video off their site I'm greeted by a new face I don't recognise. 

MiddleEasy was another favourite years back. Their Sunday morning rumour mill was like the MMA equivalent of reading the teletext wrestling pages back in the 2000's. They always had different styles of articles to the other sites.. Always refreshing stuff. 

All gone to shit. 

Edited by Silky Kisser

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, David said:

Mindenhall and Al-Shatti do a podcast over there as well, which is nice and light at around an hour a throw. I may be tempted by that to be honest, along with the writing. At $8 a month it's not a lot to pay for quality content.

think it works out more like $4 a month if you commit for the year.

2 minutes ago, Egg Shen said:

think it works out more like $4 a month if you commit for the year.

I'm always a bit iffy on paying for a year up front for this kind of thing, as there's always the chance it implodes before then and you're out of pocket. Even at $8 it's still good value if you consider quality journalism to be important.

• 2 weeks later...

What a genuinely terrible main card this turned out to be. 

I was impressed with Edwards. And I couldn't believe what I was watching with the greg hardy fight, his opponent held his leg so tight I'm surprised he didn't cut off the circulation and then just knelt there eating punches until the ref put him out of his misery..... I couldn't believe what I was seeing

• Paid Members

What a slog of a show this was. 10 out of the 13 fights on the card went the distance. Of course that doesn’t necessarily equal bad fights but most of this was just dull as shit. 

I did quite enjoy Arlovski vs Rothwell 2, to be fair. Which I didn’t really expect to going in. Wasn’t pretty and they gassed horribly towards the end but they left it all in there and it was a proper battle. Arlovski still looks fairly sharp for a man with the miles on the clock that he has. 

Elsewhere on the card, Leon Edwards continues to surprise me. I thought RDA would be a step too far for Edwards but he won clearly. And this was a massive win for him. By far the biggest of his career to date. That’s 8 in a row now and consecutive wins over Donald Cerrone, Gunnar Nelson and now Dos Anjos. Whether you like his style or not, that’s quite a shift. He’s not getting that Masvidal fight though. Not yet anyway. 

Hooker vs Vick was fun while it lasted and thankfully put a stop to the decisionfest this card had become. This was exactly what Hooker needed coming off that horrible beating from Barboza. 

The Wifebeater winning was the downer of the card for me. I really thought Juan Adams was going to just take him down and school him. And I was really looking forward to seeing that. Not just because Hardy is a cunt but also because Adams seems a good guy and this week especially he was great doing the media. I think Adams got hurt with one of the punches on the feet. He took a clean right hand and I reckon he was already hurt when he was hanging onto the leg because he wasn’t even trying to complete the takedown from there, and with his wrestling background and Hardy’s complete lack of grappling, he should’ve been able to finish the takedown from there. Sadly, Hardy is here to stay for a bit it seems. 

Edited by wandshogun09

I put a multi bet on the main card. Got 5/6 right. RDA getting shut down by Edwards robbed me of $2000 :(

Was a slog to watch, but Arlovski vs. Rothwell was a heavyweight war. Has Andrei found the fountain of youth or something? It's not uncommon for HWs to hang around in their 40s, with power being the last thing to go, as they say, but he was agile as fuck, beating Rothwell to the punch constantly and keeping up a damn high pace for the division for 2.5 rounds there. And somehow his chin grew back judging by the bombs he ate from Big Ben, I forgot he had issues with his chin until they brought it up on commentary.

Dan Hooker gave us the first finish of the night, so he becomes a Kiwi that us Aussies will proudly claim as our own. Nice to see James Vick get sparked, I used to like him a lot until he started moaning about not getting main events or big fights... then they gave him Gaethje and he got utterly destroyed. Hooker wasn't even ranked, so maybe this'll be a nice slice of humble pie for Vick.

Some fun prelim battles too, despite the lack of finishes. Mario Bautista vs. Jin Soo Son in particular was a lot of fun. A Korean Zombie reference was dropped and it was super fitting. Alex Caceres vs. Steven Peterson was great too, although Peterson had terrible fight IQ, to the point that his coach screamed at him between rounds for how dumb he was being. Bruce Leeroy got to look like a million bucks though, with great footwork, landing the right hook at will and Peterson doing nothing to change it.

• Paid Members

I only see watched the main card, but it went by fairly quickly I thought. 

Arlovski Vs Rothwell was a fun fight, both still have something to contribute and Arlovski has been fairly Impressive lately. In his last handful of fights I feel he should have gotten the nod against Tuivasa and Sakai, so he should be on a reasonable ratio of W:L. In his last 8 fights, since losing to Big Francis's, he hasn't been blown out. Fair play to the man, he's figured out a way to keep himself sharp as he approaches his 50th pro fight. He can be a handful for most in the division, even if he is still likely to lose a few more than he wins. 

Hernandez Vs Trinaldo was a boring fight, which I didn't expect. Disappointed in that one. 

Hooker made a big statement by bouncing back from the beating from Barboza by flattening James Vick. Vick is on a big skid now, but this is a very good quality win for Hooker to put beside his name. 

Walt Harris is one scary, dangerous man. He looks like he's figuring this out a bit now. He could knock out most of the division at this point outside of the tippy top guys. I'd love to see Harris fuck up Greg Hardy, but Hardy isn't ready for that smoke. Harris Vs The Black Beast though? Fucking right I'd watch that. 

Speaking of Hardy, that was like a fart in church wasn't it? Gutted that the cunt made it look easy. 

Leon Edwards shut down RDA completely. I didn't give Dos Anjos a round. I was about to give him the second, and then those elbows tore his face apart and that was it. I was hoping for an RDA win as despite his skills and streak, I find Edwards pretty vanilla. The only fight I have interest in seeing him in at the moment is against Masvidal, and even in that one I have to say that I would be rooting for Jorge. This was Edwards big moment though. He demolished Nelson, and he really got the better of Cowboy, but those weren't on as high profile cards. This time, he beat a former champion, on ESPN proper, and he called out his rival. He did everything he needed to do. RDA isn't giving anyone an easy night's work, but I think he might be in the 50/50 club at WW now. You'll only beat him if you're championship material, and he'll be used as that barometer for guys on the rise. He's not putting a streak together again to get into championship contention. 

• Paid Members

Yeh, gotta agree. I think any of those NFL athletes that want to give MMA a serious crack have unlimited potential. Just massive, elite athletes that can probably excel in anything they put their minds too. Hardy could end up being a player.

I do think that some elite level athletes aren't cut out for MMA. A lot of them, despite having obvious physical gifts, are simply not fighters. Some can't master striking techniques, some can't deal with the prospect of being punched in the face, etc. Sadly, it looks like Hardy has an aptitude for fighting. 

He's also in a division where the talent pool is very weak and where his advanced starting age won't be much of a factor. It is not uncommon for heavyweight prospects to be in their late 20s and early 30s. Heavyweights also traditionally have a longer shelf-life than fighters in lighter divisions.

Thus, he is likely to become a serious contender at least. Whether he will become more than that remains to be seen. As naff as heavyweight MMA is nowadays, it will still take a heavyweight of the highest order to dethrone Stipe Miocic (who I believe will reign as champion again at some point in the near future).