What are the chances?

Gus Mears

Not me but someone I was in rehab with. 

Andy shared a room with Mike. Mike had some envelopes and Andy noticed Mike's surname. It wasn't an unusual surname but for whatever reason Andy told Mike about a bloke he knew with the same surname. 

Now, A and M had never crossed paths before. Didn't even live in the same area. 

They exchanged some info about the bloke, what he looked like and what he did as a career etc. Andy knew there was some connection between Africa and the bloke they were talking about. 

It turned out the bloke they were talking about was a regular in Andy's local and they were good friends. Not that interesting. The crazy part was that the bloke was Mike's dad, who he'd lost contact with almost 30 years ago and was never able to find out where he lived. 

Mike and his dad have now reconnected. The fact that the two people who'd never met shared the same room in rehab and not only did Andy notice his surname, but actually bothered to mention it considering how common a surname it is was baffling. 

After moving to Vietnam, about 3-4 weeks in once I was part of the crowd in my school I went to hang out with various people on the backpacker street (cheep kerbside places mixed in with bigger loud bars). After getting bored with the few people I was with I went for a wonder along the road and spotted some girls from the same school, they were talking to a couple I assumed worked for the same company but turned out to be random tourists until we got talking. Turned out we'd been in the same year at the same Uni and the guy was good friends with a friend of mine. I'd been at a number of parties with them including one where I was so drunk i'd been quite suggestive with the girl which I apologised for and we had a good beer and laugh thousands of miles from home.

• Paid Members

This cute little fella is an ex-girlfriend's little brother on his fourth birthday, possibly the only kid in South West France to have his own personalised Leicester City top:

vdmMa6b.jpg

The family lives in a tiny village (population: 324) about 60 miles away from Toulouse, where I earned a bit of money as an English teacher.

That young kid was born addicted to heroin and had been fostered by my girlfriend's family at a very young age. They adopted him when he was three. His brother was born into the same sad situation.

One day, a gentleman in one of my classes stayed behind as everybody was leaving. "You were saying in the last class that your girlfriend's brother is adopted and that his name is Fayçal. My son's adopted too." And then he told me the son's name. "What was his surname?" I asked, having just heard him give the first name of Fayçal's brother. "Zouaghi."

That was confirmation that we were speaking about the same children! He gave me his contact details and my girlfriend's family gave him a call. They decided that when the boys were old enough, they would let them know that they have a brother and pass on the contact details if they wanted to meet. Amazing coincidence.

And I've now realised that the little man must be 21-22 so is old enough to be online. Found him on Facebook! Let's see if he remembers me! :)