AEW Fight For The Fallen

tiger_rick

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, tiger_rick said:

The six man is an odd one because 5 of the guys come across as heels and the video below shows MJF having a go at Spears when they're team mates. Be interesting to see if they play on that or decide it does't matter.

I don't know that Darby Allin comes off as a heel - provocative, sure, but not necessarily heelish. He was definitely the underdog against Cody. Janela (although I don't like him) is probably a tweener too. The team of the three of them as the hardcore risk-takers is pretty cool, I thought.

MJF/Spears... it may not be much of a thing for this match, but likely to tie in overall to the whole 'Cody is MJF's meal-ticket' thing that's going on longer-term.

• Paid Members
1 minute ago, Chris B said:

I don't know that Darby Allin comes off as a heel - provocative, sure, but not necessarily heelish. He was definitely the underdog against Cody. Janela (although I don't like him) is probably a tweener too. The team of the three of them as the hardcore risk-takers is pretty cool, I thought.

MJF/Spears... it may not be much of a thing for this match, but likely to tie in overall to the whole 'Cody is MJF's meal-ticket' thing that's going on longer-term.

Allin was the one I was excluding. Janela definitely came off as a heel against Moxley. Maybe I've read too much into Havoc being a heel because he just looks shit.

Truth is they're probably all tweeners except MJF. Which is an ugly thought.

• Paid Members

Havoc was a babyface interrupting MJF at the first show. 

I'm sure Cody's on record as saying he doesn't believe in heels and faces, which would at least explain his own inconsistent character.

• Paid Members
19 minutes ago, tiger_rick said:

Allin was the one I was excluding. Janela definitely came off as a heel against Moxley. Maybe I've read too much into Havoc being a heel because he just looks shit.

Truth is they're probably all tweeners except MJF. Which is an ugly thought.

Yeah, as @BomberPat said, Havoc's been booked as a face (although I can't stand him). Janela - I'm not sure. He's been booked as a heel against faces/bigger names, but he can be booked effectively against heels too, I reckon. It's why I'd think of him as a tweener. This three-person team is the most interested I've been in either of them.

Spears is pretty clearly a heel right now, as is MJF. The third lad, whose name I can't be bothered to check, has been portrayed as a smug, arrogant little tosser (as a gimmick, not unintentionally) on BTE and so on.

• Paid Members

That 6-man on any other show would be great. Here though, it's very odd. MJF tearing into Spears, both in promos and social media, but now teaming with him against three guys randomly thrown together because they favour a certain style of wrestling...it's very sladpash.

I don't know. It would be off-the-wall fun if CHIKARA or Beyond had announced it for one of their events, I don't know why it slightly irks me here. Looks like the kind of match that the old Smackdown game's career mode would generate.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, BomberPat said:

I'm sure Cody's on record as saying he doesn't believe in heels and faces, which would at least explain his own inconsistent character.

Ugh, really? If that's true it's killed any anticipation I had for the weekly AEW product right away. Can't be arsed with this shades of grey shit in my wrestling.

• Paid Members
18 minutes ago, Lorne Malvo said:

Ugh, really? If that's true it's killed any anticipation I had for the weekly AEW product right away. Can't be arsed with this shades of grey shit in my wrestling.

In fairness, I think he was explaining that he can be whatever he needs to be to suit the story his character is in, so he is a heel when he's against a babyface, and a babyface when called on because his character can be either without turning. So not necessarily the case that there won't be defined heels or faces in the whole promotion as such.

Or this is wishful thinking on my part. 

On 7/3/2019 at 3:01 PM, Accident Prone said:

Ah come on now, surely this is the definition of "Damned if they do, damned if they don't"? People complain of them no selling, then they complain when they lead a massive story about them selling. They can't win.

Not at all. People want consistent (not necessarily realistic) selling that contributes to their suspension of disbelief while watching wrestling. Alternating between no selling and then making one very specific piece of selling the centre piece of all their matches does the opposite.

You shouldn't notice good selling.

• Paid Members

Didn't Flair sometimes switch it up a bit in the '80s? I remember seeing a promo from him on Dusty Rhodes, done as an interview at his house, and he was playing it fairly blue-eye, talking about Dusty as being a "moneyball player" and "quality athlete" on his level, and just generally being very likeable, while putting across his desire and motivation to win in a way that made him seem perfectly reasonable. When I asked about that on here some years ago someone (might've been @PowerButchi) said that that was just something he used to do back in the day, randomly playing a face for a moment during a clear heel run.

EDIT: Sorry, that's in response to the Cody "shades of grey" thing.

Edited by Carbomb

• Paid Members
17 minutes ago, PowerButchi said:

When in the 80s is it from? He wasn't full blown heel until about 1985 when he was champ.

I couldn't tell you exactly - the clip on YouTube didn't give the date. The only thing I can say is that it was in the build-up to Flair's title defence against Dusty at Starrcade, but I don't know which one. I tried to find the clip, but it seems to have been taken down.

EDIT: Ah! Seems it was from 1984, so fair enough. I got the promotion wrong, it was Mid-Atlantic:

Edited by Carbomb