AEW Fight For The Fallen

tiger_rick

• Paid Members
10 hours ago, Seratonin said:

Genuinely scared of Pentagon JR. Such a strange, intimidating guy, great wrestler too.

Absolutely. They're wasting money keeping them as a tag team as the Lucha Bros have so much to offer as singles it's insane. If AEW can harness Pentagon's unique charisma it's a licence to print cash. He's a scary bastard you can't help but love.

I enjoyed it. Loved the unique setting.

My only gripe is what people have already said, a few of the matches went on a bit to long.

No issues with a long 6 man, or the two tag matches. 

Page & Omega are (I think) being built as the companys main two baby faces though? At least 20 minutes should have been shaved off each of those matches.

• Paid Members
53 minutes ago, The King of Old School said:

Page & Omega are (I think) being built as the companys main two baby faces though? At least 20 minutes should have been shaved off each of those matches.

Wasn't Page vs Sabian 19 minutes (as per the story they were telling)? So you wanted it to be minus 1 minutes long?

49 minutes ago, mim731 said:

Wasn't Page vs Sabian 19 minutes (as per the story they were telling)? So you wanted it to be minus 1 minutes long?

Yes. Establish him as the top guy...

No, of course not. I meant 10 minutes of each match, but I suspect you knew that.

Edited by The King of Old School

• Paid Members
1 minute ago, The King of Old School said:

Yes. Establish him as the top guy...

No, of course not. I meant 10 minutes of each match, but I suspect you knew that.

It's possible I was being somewhat facetious. I do know what you mean though, both matches were longer than necessary, especially Page and Sabian which would have benefited from being a tad shorter. 

On the six man tag, one thing that stood out massively is how much bigger Shawn Spears looked than everyone else. I can't tell if he's bulked up since leaving WWE, or if everyone else in that match is just quite small (excluding Allin who is clearly smaller than everyone). He seemed a very average size in WWE. 

I think they would definitely benefit from having a few bigger lads in there for variety as beyond Spears, Luchasaurus (who doesn't exactly wrestle like a traditional big man) and I guess Dustin, they are a little light on bigger guys. Not saying they need to be dominated by a heavyweight main event style, but it all feels quite flip-and-foot-stomp-heavy at the moment. A Jeff Cobb or a Ryback-type would make a nice addition if they could get them.

• Paid Members
38 minutes ago, TildeGuy~! said:

They love packing these shows with tag matches, are they doing it just to get everyone on the show? 

Various reasons I'd imagine. There's definitely an element of wanting to present as many people as possible. But they also have a tag team in a prominent managerial position and they want to establish tag wrestling as a big deal on this brand. Plus 6-man/8-man tags protect singles guys from losses and burnout so are always a sensible option.

I thought it was a good blend on the show.

1 hour ago, mim731 said:

I have no objections to this

• Paid Members

I'd hazard a guess that they want to establish early on that they're a big wrestling company, and a good way to establish this is a visual of the sheer depth of the roster. A bit like the old Royal Rumble posters - if it looks to the fans like there's an army of guys out there competing in AEW, then winning matches, being a main-eventer, and winning the belts will look a bigger deal.

6 hours ago, The King of Old School said:

My only gripe is what people have already said, a few of the matches went on a bit to long.

Cody referenced that in the post show press conference, in response to the show being nearly 5 hours long on a sweltering hot day in Florida, essentially saying he wanted to let everyone have time to 'do their thing'.

Yeah, again, that's fine for big shows [although not, as well - see WrestleMania] but for TV they will have to reign that in.

WWE has shown that people tune out for long matches, no matter how good. If you're buying a show you're already going to watch but engaging people on TV is different. I'm not saying they need the Russo 'something happening every 90 seconds' philosophy but they cannot just 'let guys do their thing' as it regards to match/segment length on a TV show.

I'm sure [well I hope] they know this but it does again seem like Omega and the Bucks are the kind of 'I need time to perform my art' kinda guys that would not do well in a 'You have 5 minutes' kind of setting. I guess we shall see.

• Paid Members

Finished watching this last night, and I think pacing the show out over a few nights really helped. There's definitely a LOT in them.

Generally, I thought it was pretty solid. Better than Fyterfest, for sure. Particularly enjoyed the triple-threat tag and the Lucha Bros/SCU matches. Brandi may not be a wrestler, but the stuff with the Kongs was great.

Totally agree with others in reducing repetition and shortening some of the matches. And Alex Marvez really is a bit crap. Particularly liked when the Lucha Bros did the ladder promo (which was bad-ass), and they came back to commentary, and he immediately makes a nerdy point about the ladder being white and gold, so JR just goes 'Yeah, great, so anyway' and turns his back on him to talk to the other commentator. It just summed him up - ignoring the important thing that just happened to make a smug, annoying point.

When they shook hands at the end, it made me think that I really want to see Kenny Omega vs Dustin Rhodes.