AEW Fight For The Fallen

tiger_rick

36 minutes ago, UK Kat Von D said:

Brandi is a great character and an asset to the company, but for fucks sake don’t let her wrestle. 

I am willing her on to improve. I kind of admire her determination to wrestle, it’s not like she has to do that. At this point I don’t think she should play a prominent role in ring but I agree that she’s a great character and I’d go as far as to say she’s one of the best they have in terms of mic/acting skills.

• Paid Members

They've been afforded a great gift staging all these big events before they start on proper telly, which you hope they're using to try stuff and learn from their mistakes. We'll see.

For me, the most worrying aspect of the show (or at least one of the more pressing) is the commentary. JR has built up a lot of goodwill with the wrestling audience so he can just about get away with coming across as bored, embarrassed and baffled by the show (and in his defence the shows feature a lot of shite), but the other two are worse than anything WWE have on their shocking announce teams. When JR is into it he showed during the Cody/Dustin classic that his instincts are still sharp, but the other two are naff. Excalibur has at least some decent potential, but the other lad has no chops for the role whatsoever - like me playing for East Fife. They could do with an old familiar face in that role, or at least someone that sounds enthusiastic about wrestling; someone the audience will respect, anyway, to sell the soap. Scott Steiner needs a pay day, is what I'm getting at.

• Paid Members

I really enjoyed that show overall.

If they keep the goofy shit to a minimum, like they did here, then I can accept The Librarian as a lower-card heel gimmick. Similar to Right To Censor. Just trying to ruin everyones fun and always getting their arses kicked.

The womens tag match was sloppy as shit and went too long, which is a theme with AEW and one of the biggest issues I have with them at the minute. Not every match needs to be a 20+ minute epic. Bea Priestly looked decent here, the other three looked rubbish.

The six-man was a great opener but I'm not sure why Havoc or Guevara needed to be there. Shawn Spears is already more impressive as a vicious heel bastard than he ever was as bland generic babyface. MJF was as great as ever, Janela was solid and I'm already a massive fan of Darby Allin. I like the idea of him chasing Spears wanting his revenge.

I'd heard Brandi was dreadful so expected her match to be a car-crash. It was rubbish but not offensively so. Her opening up to Allie, making Allie drop her guard then bringing Kong out was a great dickhead heel move, negated by the fact shes out there smiling a few hours later handing over cheques to charity. Steph McMahon all over again but nowhere near as annoying.

Three-way tag was really good too. I'm not too sure on The Dark Order yet - Stu Grayson looked good but the fat fella just looked SO indy I found it distracting. Jungle Boy and Luchasauras are well fucking class.

Adam Page going 20 minutes with Kip Sabian made him look shit as opposed to making Kip look good. Kip embarassing that fat Everton cunt was gold though. I appreciated they wrestled a different style from the rest of the card here, but Page is still missing something to make him stand out as a title challenger.

Lucha vs SCU was great until the last 5 minutes where it kinda fell apart. I really like Scorpio Sky so far, hope they do something with him.

Kenny Omega vs CIMA wasn't my cup of tea, to be honest. I'm still waiting for Omega to blow me away in AEW but so far he's leaving me cold. Christopher Daniels losing to one Meteora and Omega kicking out of about 5 of them isn't on really. Plus everytime he speaks he sounds like a fucking nerd. I don't think hes somebody you can build a weekly TV product around really. Be interested to see how his 'forced epic with 20 kickouts' translates to TV.

Loved the main event. Probably my favourite Young Bucks match ever. Loved the pacing, the change in style, and I don't think Cody has put a foot wrong in this company yet. Dustin was fucking great as always, I really wouldn't mind a singles run with him going for the World title at some point. 

Overall, more positives than negatives, but they really need to trim some of these matches down. Sometimes less is more.

28 minutes ago, Lorne Malvo said:

I'd heard Brandi was dreadful so expected her match to be a car-crash. It was rubbish but not offensively so. Her opening up to Allie, making Allie drop her guard then bringing Kong out was a great dickhead heel move, negated by the fact shes out there smiling a few hours later handing over cheques to charity. Steph McMahon all over again but nowhere near as annoying.

See, I don’t have a problem with that. Just because she’s a heel doesn’t mean she has to be pro-gun violence, and also, she didn’t say anything. You could even frame it (in a heel context) as her trying to make herself look good. Philanthropy is the future of marketing, after all.

Edited by RedRooster

• Paid Members

Britt Baker got a concussion in that match which explains why it went slightly off the rails. I was quite impressed with it. Everyone has been burying Bea so much round here I was expecting it to be an unwatchable car crash.

My only real complaint is the commentary otherwise they have gone a long way to fixing the stand out issues from Fyter Fest. The preshow was excellent in comparison and well worth watching.

It's a real shame that the crowd had died from the heat before the main event because it was really good. The Bucks quite obviously need to go full heel. They are magic at it.

Just stuck this on, really like the set. Think this was what a lot of us were looking for when when discussing alternatives to WWE's style. Reminds me of WCW, dunno if WCW ever had sets like this but still reminds me of WCW. Actually think it's started well too

26 minutes ago, DEF said:

Everyone has been burying Bea so much round here I was expecting it to be an unwatchable car crash.

The first thing Bea did in the match after getting tagged in was kick Britt Baker in the back of the head whilst she was down giving her the concussion, 

She’s the same in Stardom, everything she does looks like it hurts because she’s so unsafe. 

• Paid Members
10 minutes ago, TildeGuy~! said:

She’s the same in Stardom, everything she does looks like it hurts because she’s so unsafe. 

Explains why Will Ospreay is basically Homer Simpson with the crayon up his nose since going out with her. I bet she knocks the shit out of him, getting the shopping out the car (that his twitter followers probably paid for.)

It's a shame because I quite like Nakajima, just not as a top wrestler. Ties into what I posted earlier about TJPW's roster being pretty thin on top talent.

Apparently she was a sub for Yuka.

My big worry about the women's division is that the Joshi talent are all going to be Kenny's mates or people that work for his mates.

Still though I don't get the fuss over Britt.

Did anyone have any problems with this through Fite? First time I’ve tried to watch something on there and it just keeps cutting off every couple of minutes, awful service.

This is my big problem with stuff like this, I’d rather pay more to watch on box office as I know it’d work, this is too much hassle if it’s not going to work and will just mean I don’t watch AEW, think it’s why I’ve always watched WWE as it’s just easily accesible

Edited by Doog

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, TildeGuy~! said:

The first thing Bea did in the match after getting tagged in was kick Britt Baker in the back of the head whilst she was down giving her the concussion, 

Yeah that's out of order. I was expecting her to be more like Brandi though. It's just a different kind of shit I guess. Probably more reprehensible even.

• Paid Members
34 minutes ago, Doog said:

Did anyone have any problems with this through Fite? First time I’ve tried to watch something on there and it just keeps cutting off every couple of minutes, awful service.

This is my big problem with stuff like this, I’d rather pay more to watch on box office as I know it’d work, this is too much hassle if it’s not going to work and will just mean I don’t watch AEW, think it’s why I’ve always watched WWE as it’s just easily accesible

Nope I had no issues on either my Firestick last night or laptop this evening. Worked fine.