AEW Fight For The Fallen

tiger_rick

5 hours ago, Accident Prone said:

I'm not going to enjoy this GoT-style story telling much. Layers? It's pro wrestling, not an onion. 

My favourite era of mainstream, week-to-week wrestling was January 2000 - May 2001. You had a cast of characters with defined characteristics and allegiances up and down the card, but most of it was still down to Good Vs Bad. 

Right smack-bang in the period of the Triple H/Steph/Kurt love triangle then? A long, layered story featuring all heels, intertwining their issues with and involving loads of others on the roster over several months. Shit payoff mind, so yeah quite GoT. Simple in pro-wrestling works great, gradually unfolding layers of a long story, building to a big climax works really fucking great in pro wrestling when it’s done well. Which it can be. And has been. And such a process can absolutely make a star coming out of it.

I don’t get the confusion with the MJF booking either. From what I’ve followed and gathered this is the one thing I think they’re doing quite well. MJF feigning love and adoration for Cody and as a result disgust at Spears and being in this match and having to potentially keep his act up or get exposed suits what he seems to be about nicely.

One thing I don’t like that they’re doing though, which Prone touched on in another post, is really just a pet peeve of mine with new wrestling brands, but particularly these guys, having a tv deal and pushing the sports feel and wins/losses matter spiel. What’s the obsession with a new brand always needing to crown a “World champion” immediately. It does fuck all to create any kind of prestige for what should be your most important title. It’s just that because you tell us it is. Use the shows you’ve got and then TV to build a hierarchy, make every win and loss matter to build that hierarchy. Make it the main focus and goal of everyone on your roster and then only crown your champion after a “season” of sorts, you’ve established said hierarchy (who’s over, who isn’t and who people want to and will pay to see).

• Moderators
7 hours ago, Accident Prone said:

Because in relation to Shawn Spears, MJF is the defacto good guy, but he's a bad guy everywhere else. Kinda like how Shane McMahon was situated as the 'bad guy' when he bought WCW but was put in the babyface role when facing his Dad and Kurt Angle.

Shane, and WCW, were babyfaces until the Booker Buff stench. Indeed at KOTR they were hinting Benoit or Jericho would  win the title and take it to WCW. 

• Paid Members

Glad they’re at least making a story out of Allin’s back-breaking performance getting overshadowed. Also, credit where it’s due, they’ve done a good job making me intrigued to see that six man tag, with all the moving parts involving Spears, MJF and Allin. 

Not that any of this will be pushed or explored on the pre-show, of course. It’ll be Librarians all the way. 

1 hour ago, UK Kat Von D said:

Becoming a fan of Darby Allin and I liked him anyway because I assume his name is a reference to GG Allin. It isn’t a surprise at all that they are using the chair shot to create a story between Spears and Darby

It is, also Darby as in Darby Crash from The Germs.

1 hour ago, Merzbow said:

I'd honestly think that Darby Graves sounds cooler if it wasn't for Corey already taking that last name which I'm guessing is the same reference?

I'm betting someone uses Varg Culto or something some day.

Well it fits into the shock rocker theme of picking names which intentionally don’t sound “shocking” like Marilyn Manson and Alice Cooper which could be the names of little old ladies without context

Edited by UK Kat Von D

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, UK Kat Von D said:

Ah that’s awesome. He used to be Darby Graves which I guessed might be a Misfits reference.

If it was a Misfits reference, to name yourself after Michael Graves is brutally shit. What's wrong with Darby Wolfgang Von Frankenstein? 

• Paid Members

Its definitely a reference to GG Allin. There's a lot of GG Allin references. Their hardcore fanbase all have dicks there are 90% helmet and I tend to cover myself in shit after watching one of their pre-shows.

When it comes to double tribute names, you'll be hard pressed to find a better one than Alex Shelley. Taken from Malcolm Mcdowell's character in A Clockwork Orange and Pete Shelley from the Buzzcocks.

Edited by IANdrewDiceClay

Jesus christ I'd never heard of this GG Allin fella so just watched a doc on Youtube, he seemed like an angry fella ( probably down to his micro-penis ) and seemed to like shoving things up his arse and eating his own shite. His drummer was also arrested for flashing his cock to a child, what a lovely bunch of lads

6 minutes ago, Kamaras-Tash said:

Jesus christ I'd never heard of this GG Allin fella so just watched a doc on Youtube, he seemed like an angry fella ( probably down to his micro-penis ) and seemed to like shoving things up his arse and eating his own shite. His drummer was also arrested for flashing his cock to a child, what a lovely bunch of lads

Was that the ‘Hated’ documentary? If not, check that out, it’s fascinating in a weird sort of way