AEW Fight For The Fallen

tiger_rick

1 hour ago, Seratonin said:

And please someone explain Kenny Omega to me. 

I honestly think Omega [and the Bucks] will be horribly exposed on weekly TV. 
Don't get me wrong, I'm sure they will deliver great matches but being able to carry an American-TV based wrestling storyline? I can't see it.
I hope I'm wrong because AEW needs to succeed but I just can't see it.

1 hour ago, Accident Prone said:

I'll be happy to see how it plays out, but it still baffles me. There's a lot going on in the story (Is MJF actually Cody's friend? Is he is still just playing him or has he turned a new leaf? If not, is he is in cahoots with Spears or is he legit angry with him?), I think a straight-up MJF vs Spears match would've worked a lot better regardless of how they play off each other in this 6-man.

MJF sucks upto the boss and pretends to be his mate, because that’s what a wanker like him would do. Now he has to team with a guy who attacked his “mate.” Maybe Cody is testing him to see where his loyalties lie? It’s a story with layers 

• Paid Members

Yeah I'm not sure where the confusion lies with it. MJF is a heel, Spears is a heel. He may be very unhappy about it and we'll see it play out during the match. It's not like he offered to team up with him, it's just been booked and will play out accordingly.

• Paid Members

I'm not going to enjoy this GoT-style story telling much. Layers? It's pro wrestling, not an onion. 

My favourite era of mainstream, week-to-week wrestling was January 2000 - May 2001. You had a cast of characters with defined characteristics and allegiances up and down the card, but most of it was still down to Good Vs Bad. 

I'm not saying that Cody's "shades of grey", nuanced approach won't work as we havent seen the TV product yet. But I'm enjoying the 'Road To ..' series a helluva lot more than anything else they're doing to push stories right now, and some of the booking isn't reflecting that.

They've obviously experimenting and throwing shit at the wall, I just hope they take the simpler route for their out-of-the-ring story telling.

3 hours ago, Seratonin said:

Am I missing something? Do AEW build up the other matches with some backstory or are we just gonna see them put random matches together with guys I hear are fucking amazing? Without anything to make me want to tune in?

I keep hearing for example Page is the best wrestler since day one. Except I know nothing about him and he kinda did nothing in the last match. I'm not invested in the newer guys and I have to think maybe AEW could do more.

I don’t really understand what you’re expecting here.

This is a brand new company with their third show on the weekend. Aside from making more of an effort with video packages and telling you he’s a big deal which, to be fair, I think they do a good job of, what more can they be doing?

It’s 2019. Everybody has access to Google, and wrestling has never been more accessible. If you’re that desperate to find out who Adam Page is, have a quick look on YouTube and you’ll probably come across his New Japan stuff and get a more clear picture.

Admittedly, I’d like to see him featured more heavily in promo packages in the lead up to the Jericho match, mind.

7 minutes ago, Slapnut said:

I don’t really understand what you’re expecting here.

This is a brand new company with their third show on the weekend. Aside from making more of an effort with video packages and telling you he’s a big deal which, to be fair, I think they do a good job of, what more can they be doing?

It’s 2019. Everybody has access to Google, and wrestling has never been more accessible. If you’re that desperate to find out who Adam Page is, have a quick look on YouTube and you’ll probably come across his New Japan stuff and get a more clear picture.

Admittedly, I’d like to see him featured more heavily in promo packages in the lead up to the Jericho match, mind.

Sorry, I don't get why I'd do research on past appearances in other companies to see the AEW version of Page.

AEW should present more THEIR version of Page to make me tune in. More AEW promos, please.

And it's dumb to think every other viewer who's new to AEW should be researching on YT. Tell the casual viewer why they should watch him on AEW programming, and they might stay tuned.

1 minute ago, Seratonin said:

Sorry, I don't get why I'd do research on past appearances in other companies to see the AEW version of Page.

AEW should present more THEIR version of Page to make me tune in. More AEW promos, please.

And it's dumb to think every other viewer who's new to AEW should be researching on YT. Tell the casual viewer why they should watch him on AEW programming, and they might stay tuned.

That’s absolutely fine, and I don’t disagree with you. My point, however, is how do you suggest they do this more than how they’re already doing it? He’s featured quite heavily in the video packages they produce. I’ve never watched Being The Elite, but he’s one of the main characters in that, isn’t he?

I’m not suggesting we should have to go hunting on YouTube for his matches, but this is generally how people watch a lot of wrestling these days. Even kids are spending the majority of their time on Twitter. It’s not like 15-20 years ago when you only had TV.

18 minutes ago, Seratonin said:

So you want them to produce more video packages and put them on YouTube, so you don’t have to go on YouTube to find out who he is? 

Everytime he has been on TV he has been protected and the announcers have drilled home that he is the future. 

12 minutes ago, UK Kat Von D said:

So you want them to produce more video packages and put them on YouTube, so you don’t have to go on YouTube to find out who he is? 

Everytime he has been on TV he has been protected and the announcers have drilled home that he is the future. 

No, take one or two matches away and put more build up and characterization on the shows.

Rhodes vs Bucks, setup on DON - knew match was happening and was a backstory. Interested for that match.

Personally I can look on YT as I'm a longtime fan. But we know new fans would like this put in front of them, they're going to add growth to the company, not me. 

BTW, just to be clear, Page is just one of the future stars. Janela, Omega, and many others need more build up for ppl who don't know them.

Edited by Seratonin

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Accident Prone said:

I'm not going to enjoy this GoT-style story telling much. Layers? It's pro wrestling, not an onion. 

My favourite era of mainstream, week-to-week wrestling was January 2000 - May 2001. You had a cast of characters with defined characteristics and allegiances up and down the card, but most of it was still down to Good Vs Bad. 

I'm not saying that Cody's "shades of grey", nuanced approach won't work as we havent seen the TV product yet. But I'm enjoying the 'Road To ..' series a helluva lot more than anything else they're doing to push stories right now, and some of the booking isn't reflecting that.

They've obviously experimenting and throwing shit at the wall, I just hope they take the simpler route for their out-of-the-ring story telling.

How does this post come from the same person who suggested a heel vs. heel match earlier?

• Paid Members
33 minutes ago, tiger_rick said:

How does this post come from the same person who suggested a heel vs. heel match earlier?

Because in relation to Shawn Spears, MJF is the defacto good guy, but he's a bad guy everywhere else. Kinda like how Shane McMahon was situated as the 'bad guy' when he bought WCW but was put in the babyface role when facing his Dad and Kurt Angle.