AEW Fight For The Fallen

tiger_rick

• Paid Members
Just now, The King Of Swing said:

Odds on them completely no selling these stipulations and must having a regular tournament anyway?

They do seem to have things mapped out so I'd be surprised. One of the better things they've done is announce matches in advance or have matches where you know who the winner will face and when.

Although of course, #planschange.

• Paid Members

It only makes sense if the actual tournament is taking place over one night. Maybe on their first TV show? Then the team who has won two matches to advance to the 2nd round gets a clear advantage on the night.

It makes no sense at all if they're spreading the tournament out though. Say Lucha/Jungle win tomorrow, then beat Best Friends at All Out, they've had to win two matches to advance to the 2nd round whereas their opponents have had to win one match.

It does seem overly convoluted but I'm willing to give it the benefit of the doubt until they announce the actual format of the tournament.

• Paid Members

Weird how they've gone for a convoluted tournament for their tag division but their heavyweight championship is a more slap-dash, "Oh he'll do" approach.

I guess it kinda signifies the split in viewpoints across all the company founders; they have with their sports-presentation (tag division) and sports-entertainment (heavyweight division). I think it's possible in this scenario for them to have their cake and eat it.

Edited by Accident Prone

42 minutes ago, HarmonicGenerator said:

So you have to win two matches to get a chance to miss one match? But if you were just in the tournament, you'd still have to win two matches to get to the same point? Now I'm confused as well.

If the tournament takes place over one night I can see it - you would only have to win, say, two matches in one night whereas those who don't get a bye would have to win three... but if it's spread out over a course of weeks then why does it matter?

Also, I'm guessing the teams that don't win are still eligible to enter the tournament - they just don't get the chance to get a bye.... so the ones that lose here could still win the tournament...

Just looked at the card and tbh there's only the Rhodes vs Guns match I'm bovvered with. And maybe the tag match, as some of them had a cracking match on the last two shows.

Am I missing something? Do AEW build up the other matches with some backstory or are we just gonna see them put random matches together with guys I hear are fucking amazing? Without anything to make me want to tune in?

I keep hearing for example Page is the best wrestler since day one. Except I know nothing about him and he kinda did nothing in the last match. I'm not invested in the newer guys and I have to think maybe AEW could do more.

Even something like back in the WWF days when someone new appeared on the card, the commentators would introduce you to them with something small like "this guy has 7 years in the business, won 4 championships" etc.

And please someone explain Kenny Omega to me. 

Edited by Seratonin

MJF doesn’t actually like Cody though does he? He’s just been sucking up to him for some reason(maybe someone who watches Being The Elite every week can explain that story a bit better) 

I don’t exactly see them getting along in the tag match anyways, so you can play it out either way.

• Paid Members
15 minutes ago, Accident Prone said:

That's no excuse for pairing MJF with Shawn Spears. Baffling booking, especially seeing as they've produced segments showing MJF getting fired-up about kicking Spears' arse for what he did.

If they just suddenly get along on the PPV, I'll be the first to criticise. But need to see it play out first, surely?

• Paid Members
2 minutes ago, tiger_rick said:

If they just suddenly get along on the PPV, I'll be the first to criticise. But need to see it play out first, surely?

I'll be happy to see how it plays out, but it still baffles me. There's a lot going on in the story (Is MJF actually Cody's friend? Is he is still just playing him or has he turned a new leaf? If not, is he is in cahoots with Spears or is he legit angry with him?), I think a straight-up MJF vs Spears match would've worked a lot better regardless of how they play off each other in this 6-man.

Bea and Shoko are the current champions in Stardom and TJPW. I'd be very surprised if either eat the pin in that match.

I'm not sure what Bea's AEW status even is. She's apparently signed to AEW but is giving the impression that Stardom is her top priority, and I can see things getting awkward eventually. Unless Ogawa is planning to kick ROH/WOH into touch to deal with AEW.

Though that would also probably be the end of WWE allowing Stardom to book the likes of Storm and Brookside. Though I wouldn't particularly miss them to be honest.

Unless Riho ends up working either TJPW or Stardom building to a future title match, so the champion can get their win back.  

Now she’s left Gatoh Move I could see her joining one or the other as a freelancer, with regards to AEW and their women’s division their only have a a few of them signed do they not?  I was under the impression Bea was just in for this show and maybe a few shows in the future probably when they do the title tournament. 

As far as I’m aware Hikaru Shida, Brandi Rhodes, Nyla Rose, Brittany Baker, Leva Bates, Allie and Kylie Rae are the only ones that will be exclusive.

Edited by TildeGuy~!