UKFF Top 50 Games: 10th Anniversary Edition RESULTS

Onyx2

9 hours ago, Onyx2 said:

5. Grand Theft Auto V
Position in 2009: NR; Position in 2013: 1 Metacritic: 9

I'll never get over how great GTA 5, only for Red Dead Redemption 2 to be an overlong, tedious, boring pile of shit. *hides* @Supremo

Amen, brother!

Edited by Grecian

Thus far only 2 of my picks have featured, including my number one. It's been a good list thus far with things spanning multiple generations and games. 

I'm hoping that one more of my games makes it into the top 5 however it's not likely

Just remember that Global Defence Force rocks :)

Just now, Chest Rockwell said:

A lot of people now realising their choices aren't going to be in the list now. Not me. I know you all voted for Monkey Ball as well.

Completely forgot it existed, despite playing 1,2 Deluxe on the Cube, PS2 etc. Hours into Ai-AI and trying to get through those bastard, and I mean bastard hard extra levels when you completed the main mode without dying.  Ps2 stick precision. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH No..  Death

• Paid Members
21 minutes ago, Chest Rockwell said:

A lot of people now realising their choices aren't going to be in the list now. Not me. I know you all voted for Monkey Ball as well.

Monkey Ball is great. I was awful at Monkey Target, but was always impressed by watching people play it well. They've got the arcade version at Arcade Club, complete with banana joystick.

• Awards Moderator

4. Grand Theft Auto: Vice City
Position in 2009: 2; Position in 2013: 5 Metacritic: 95%

1.jpg

Google review say: Is Vice City a real place?

UKFF says: The peak of gta storys and the best mix of free world, story and misc “stuff” before you were pissing about in a gym or being hassled to go bowling. It’s just a shame it doesn’t quite hold water these days visually. @Tommy!

I hated 4, 5 was over-rated. Vice City is the perfect GTA and the instant you drive your first vehicle with Bille Jean kicking in always brings a smile to my face. @Grecian

The very second that you open that first car, and 'Billie Jean' blasts out of the radio, you know you're started something special. The best GTA game, bar none. Brilliant visuals, fun missions, refined gameplay and a soundtrack that can only be rivaled by a non-existent Tony Hawk compilation. @Accident Prone

It's not aged well but this came out shortly after I'd finished GTA 3 and a Scarface loving all things 80's obsessed Danger did indeed enjoy this. @Mr_DangerThis is GTA at it's best, witty and intriguing storylines, great soundtrack and a fantastic look set against an 80s feel. @Teedy Kay

Onyx2 says: peak GTA. Just really cool and I feel shows what setting can do to an already great game. That neon 80s aesthetic lifts it, and complimented by the soundtrack (see above) it's a total package (n. Luger).

3. Final Fantasy VII
Position in 2009: 10; Position in 2013: NR Metacritic: NR

36908-Final_Fantasy_VII_[NTSC-U]_[Disc1of3]-4.jpg

Google reviews say: Final Fantasy VII is so average that it’s bad. 

UKFF says: It baffles me when people say this game has aged badly. Graphically yes, I suppose that’s true. Gameplay wise and thematically? I think it’s as relevant as it’s ever been. @RedRooster

The game that made me fuck up my A-Levels, breakthrough moments of gaming and just as epic a story as I've ever come across. @Teedy Kay

The narrative-driven game I've probably ploughed the most time into over the years, and *obsessed* over on first release. Probably no other game occupied my mind as much as this one. @BomberPat

The only game I've ever played for 24 hours straight, but unleashing Knights of the Round on the Midgar Zolom was so worth it... I cannot wait for march 2020. @Grecian

Might get slated for this, but the sheer depth of content and story keeps this in my top 10. @Bicurious Dad

Onyx2 says: FF never really did it for me but it's influence on RPG world, and ability to shift PlayStations is legendary.

2. Streets Of Rage II
Position in 2009: 3; Position in 2013: 8 Metacritic: NR

sor2level6.png

Google reviews say: Bare Knuckle 2 Rules the Street. 

UKFF says: It can’t be left off, I tried, but I’d be talking shit if I could justify it not making a top 10. It’s the best side scrolling beat em up in existence. Nothing comes close.  @Kaz Hayashi

Scrolling beat em ups seem to be a thing of the past these days but back when I was a kid one game was king. @DEF

A near perfect side-scroller, tied up with years of childhood and teenage memories. @BomberPat

The Iconic Beate'm up. The best soundtrack of all time, simply perfection. The reason it no longer ranks as highly as previous lists is purely because I have played it to death, League play, nearly Twin Galaxies records and I am having a break from it. Doesn't stop me from putting it in this list though. @patiirc

Around the turn of the 1990s beat 'em ups were arguably the Kings of the arcade gaming scene. Double Dragon, Final Fight, X-Men et al were almost ubiquitous. Likewise Sega's Golden Axe with its almost perfect home port, thanks to the arcade hardware being a beefed up version of the Megadrive. Streets Of Rage/Bare Knuckle was based off this engine, but set in a more real world context. Streets Of Rage 2 refined the original and improved on it. Trading the one use police car special for an offensive and defensive special move, new blitz moves and extra characters with more distinctive playing styles all helped make the game easier to play, while not actually an easier game. The game looks great given its humble 16 bit constraints. Yuzo Koshiro's soundtrack is a great selection of homages to the dance music at the time, and it never outstays its welcome. Almost 30 years later a lot of other games have tried to recapture this magic, but few have come close. Anyone wishing to play this today I'd recommend to pick up the Sega Vintage Collection: Streets Of Rage by M2 which has great ports of all three in the series (so far, as Streets 4 is on the way). I'd recommend playing the Japanese version of 3 though as it wasn't localised well for the releases in the rest of the world. @jazzygeofferz

Side Scrolling Beat Em Ups were my favourite genre growing up, this is the best ever @TildeGuy~!

Although released over 25 years ago, I will never tire playing through this game. From the killer soundtrack, the smooth controls, and the soothing feeling knocking out many, many Galsia and Donavon clones, I enjoy this game as a near 34 year old as much as I did when I was 8. @Alex Wright Mark

Onyx2 says: very likely the game I have spent the most time on. Over 27 years of playing it I think it's the sound that makes it; the bone-snapping crunch as you connect with an atomic drop is absurdly satisfying. And that's before we start talking about Yuzo Koshiro... a masterpiece.

• Awards Moderator
2 minutes ago, jazzygeofferz said:

So close. Although I don't think I've seen anything from 1984 yet?

I didn't say it was in the chart (that game was Skool Daze).

• Paid Members

Ah, ok. I thought you said the oldest charting game was from 1984, so was expecting Bubble Bobble to turn up at some point.