UKFF Top 50 Games: 10th Anniversary Edition RESULTS

Onyx2

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, PunkStep said:

Which kind of sick fuck decided on that order?!?!

It’s disgusting isn’t it?

It’s as if a manager pulled it out of the suggestions box during an office meeting and went with it to prove a point. 

That or the one who approved it was on their way out for a job at Sony, and this was their final task.

• Paid Members

Launching the GBA with, arguably, the weakest of the original Mario line-up was such a big flex. The balls on Nintendo. It worked though, as I played the fuck out of it when I got mine for Christmas, but it was weird not playing Mario World or Yoshi's Island on this handheld-SNES instead.

• Paid Members

Super Mario USA (aka reskinned Doki Doki Panic) only appears weak when compared to other "real" Mario games. As a standalone game, released because Nintendo of Japan knew Americans wouldn't like the Lost Levels if it was released as the actual Mario sequel like it was in Japan because it didn't change much apart from some slightly crazy difficulty spikes, it's an entirely serviceable and fun platformer. I don't blame them for sticking the Mario characters in there and tweaking the gameplay in order to shift a few extra copies around the world. Although the rumour is also that it was going to be Mario 2 but Nintendo were approached to make a Doki Doki Panic game and stuck the characters in there to meet deadline. It's an interesting game. It also managed to introduce a few staples of the Mario canon as well like Birdo and Shyguy. 

Edited by jazzygeofferz

• Awards Moderator

9. Fallout 3
Position in 2009: 18; Position in 2013: 6 Metacritic: 91%

2013-09-Tenpenny-Tower-screenshot-2.jpg

Google reviews say: This game is proof that Bethesda does not have an original idea, being they had to buy the rights to make it, plus it completely lacks on the "Post Nuclear RPG", style this game was founded on.

UKFF says: I still remember the first time I stepped out into the Capital Wasteland and realised I could go anywhere I wanted and do anything I wanted. The scope of this game just blew my mind. @RedRooster

The greatest compliment I can give a video game is if, once I've finished, I want to play through it again. Not since I got PlayStation and games suddenly grew in size have I ever done this. Fallout 3 changed that and still remains the only game I have re-played since...I don't know, Mario World or Alex Kidd or something. An effortlessly entertaining and engaging game. The GOAT. @Accident Prone

Glitchy, buggy, imperfect, but bloody hell! The scope of the game and the setting blew me away. @ReturnOfTheMack

Onyx2: My favourite game of all time. I love the bleak atmosphere coupled with the dark humour, the ability to just wander and find something interesting to do; a strong narrative arc, a proper world to get lost in. I love it.

• Awards Moderator

8. The Last Of Us
Position in 2009: NR; Position in 2013: 18 Metacritic: 95%

the_last_of_us.0.png

Google reviews say: Honestly this is the worst game I have ever played and you should see the look on your face when you noticed that I was just joking. This game is amazing in every which way. Everyday I'm eager to play The Last Of Us part ll even more than the day before. I can't wait for another amazing emotional experience that can impact my life more than the first game did. I love this game and I hope you have a great day.

UKFF says: Whilst the moment-to-moment gameplay is nothing extraordinary, I can't think of any other game that even comes close in terms of creating characters, setting and a story that connected and stuck with me like The Last of Us did. I think about that ending all the time. In preparation for the sequel I've started another play through recently - the first time I've played it since becoming a parent . I suspect I'm going to cry my eyes out. Love it. A masterpiece. @Supremo

Fantastic Game and story, really looking forward to the follow up @TildeGuy~!

As close as an interactive movie I think we’ll see. The way it makes you care about the characters involved is like nothing else @Hannibal Scorch

Onyx2 says: I should love this game so much. It's exactly the kind of things I like in a game. But I've started it three times and keep putting it down. I will finish it one day, I promise.

• Awards Moderator

I’m exactly the same @Onyx2! I really enjoyed playing The Last Of Us, but got about halfway through and put it down. By the time I went back to it my PS3 had lost the ability to read discs. Downloaded it for PS4 but just haven’t got round to it yet. I know I’ll love it, it’s just a time thing.

However I have stayed spoiler free as far as the story goes and I’m determined I’ll play the whole thing one day!

• Awards Moderator

7. GoldenEye
Position in 2009: 1; Position in 2013: 30 Metacritic: NR

for-007.jpg

Google reviews say: its the best game ever made, 20/10 nothing will top it

UKFF says: Still no better multiplayer game in my eyes @Hannibal Scorch

What’s to be said that hasn’t been said a thousand times? No, you can’t be Oddjob or 2nd Moonraker Elite in multiplayer. I think it still holds up. I finished my most recent 00 Agent run through this year (that I’d started in 2016 on another continent - that’s what having kids does for you), after getting stuck on Aztec in 2017, and my pulse was racing as fast as anything running up that last ladder to launch the shuttle. Getting all the cheats extended the life of the single player a ton, and as for the aforementioned multiplayer - there was just nothing better. Maybe the graphics haven’t aged well, but the gameplay is still top notch, and I think to still find playthroughs challenging and exciting over two decades later is all the testament I can give to how great it is. @hallicks

A step up in the FPS with the animation, the AI and just the coolness of it. Other games had probably done it before, but this was the first game I played where stealth was so important.
And, of course, there was the incredible multiplayer mode. We rented a Japanese import about three times before the UK version was released, and ended up buying the import instead of waiting what was probably only about 3 weeks by this point. No regrets.

We chalked up a lot of hours into the early mornings playing this, taping duvet covers to the TV so that we couldn't look at each other's screens to work out where they were. @Nostalgia Nonce

I don't think I've enjoyed playing many games as much as I did the first time through on Goldeneye.  The multiplayer was like a really awesome bonus @Twatters

Epic game and made FPSers what they are today, set the benchmark.  @Teedy Kay

Onyx2 says: The king of 2009 is dead again! An impressive climb back. I have to say I played it about a year ago and it was a miserable experience; horrendous controls, weird bobbing motion and clumsy models. Fun for sure but not what it used to be.

• Awards Moderator

6. Red Dead Redemption 2
Position in 2009: NR; Position in 2013: NR Metacritic: 97%

red_dead_redemption_2_xbox_one_download_

Google reviews say:Guauser like this game, even though the whole game is very tragic and sad this is what makes the game good how tragic it is and how the past dies.

UKFF says: The number of times I reset this just to revive my poor horse... @RedRooster

I was worried that this game wouldn't be able to follow the last installment, given that I thought there was only so much you can get out of a western game. How wrong was I?! The camp approach to the game was a brilliant idea and they also did the unthinkable by having an even better protagonist than Marston with Arthur. Yet again, Rockstar excel in the story and character department. As Vince might say sipping on his water, "we make movies". Rockstar's games are better than most movies I watch. @PunkStep

Fuck you Micah. Fuck you Dutch. @Nexus

Really torn on my top 3 and they could really be in any order depending on my mood at the time but this game made me feel like I needed grief counselling afterwards and it's bloody cowboys innit. It's flawed in it's mechanics and the gameplay isn't at all challenging but I've never been so lost (both metaphorically and figuratively) in a game. It felt like a movie that i was starring in whilst playing it. @Mr_Danger

Onyx2 says: I was absolutely certain this was going to be number one, given how excited people are about this game on the forum. But it seems not. I'm probably never going to play it, but go read the forum RDR thread and enjoy...

• Paid Members

I've barely stated the epilogues because I got BOTW for my birthday a few months ago so I need to get back on this.

I spent about a week on that island trying to find and hunt the different breeds of fucking snakes just because it might give me an achievement at some point for killing every breed of animal. It probably won't.

• Awards Moderator

5. Grand Theft Auto V
Position in 2009: NR; Position in 2013: 1 Metacritic: 97%

3758e054f3b3e5668da046884a9d7e22_gta-5-g

Google reviews say: This is a GOOD GAME.

UKFF says: Another Rockstar game. Another great storyline. @Nexus

I'll never get over how great GTA 5, only for Red Dead Redemption 2 to be an overlong, tedious, boring pile of shit. *hides* @Supremo

Trevor makes human stew. Gotta love Trev. @Mr_Danger

The first and possibly last game I'll ever queue up at midnight for (well, at least until 6 comes out) this game is definitely my favourite game to come out from the last decade. A great story, re-playability, likeable protagonists, and all round fun, which is what games should be.  @Alex Wright Mark

I pine for the gangs mechanic from GTA2 to return which won't happen with the story based modern games but I think in general the games kept on improving (with the possible exception of 4) with each iteration. I never fell down the online rabbit hole but that it still seems to be relatively popular says it all for the games longevity. @lanky316

Online being such a minefield makes me forget how much of a bloody superb game this is. The world is so wonderfully interactive with some truly terrific characters (Trevor, Lamar). Going to be very, very hard to beat this with the next installment- but then again we thought San Andreas would never be beaten. @RedRooster

This game has wrangled itself above its retro brethren for me. Solid game, brilliant online features, but it’s charm appears when you delve in to the mod world. If you aren’t accustomed to it, then to provide an example, pop the words ‘Polecat DOJ’ in to YouTube. This group of modders have created a world within a world. They are criminals, police, shop keepers, fire brigade and much more. I can’t wait to see where they go next. @Kaz Hayashi

Onyx2 says: 2013's champion has handed back it's crown! I've bought it but never played it. I'm sure I'll get round to it one day.