UKFF Top 50 Games: 10th Anniversary Edition RESULTS

Onyx2

• Paid Members
37 minutes ago, scratchdj said:

Agreed, but is SF3 the game most people romanticise about? A lot of games make people's list due to their cultural significance rather than they're overall quality. Goldeneye is actually quite a terrible FPS, compared to others that followed for example.

Most people who are fans of fighting games say Third Strike is he best, probably followed by Alpha 3 or Ultra SFIV. Which isn't to say SFII isn't a great game, and if you're not a "fighting games fan",but are voting based on experiences on the SNES or hours spent in arcades during the first half of the 90s it'd more than likely be Street Fighter II you'd vote for. The other problem with voting for "Street Fighter 2" is that there are at least 5 different versions of that through its various iterations without getting onto the HD remixes, ROMhacks etc, so unless Onyx was to count anthing wth the words "Street Fighter 2/II" in its title as one game it could further split the vote

@Chest Rockwell my Street Fighter game of choice is Alpha 2.

Edited by jazzygeofferz

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, TildeGuy~! said:

Third Strike was on my list (think it was in my Top 3) just because I was so good at it competitively.

Ken and Dudley were a god send. 

Alpha 3 is second in my Street Fighter franchise list, Sakura was so easy to use.

I'm obsessed with making things difficult so obviously play as Sean in Third Strike and Dan in Alpha when I'm not "defaulting" to Ryu. Ken is pretty spectacular in Third Strike. 

50 minutes ago, jazzygeofferz said:

I'm obsessed with making things difficult so obviously play as Sean in Third Strike and Dan in Alpha when I'm not "defaulting" to Ryu. Ken is pretty spectacular in Third Strike. 

Did you ever watch High Score Girl? It’s a manga/anime series on Netflix based around Capcom games, mainly Street Fighter tournaments.

• Paid Members
38 minutes ago, TildeGuy~! said:

Did you ever watch High Score Girl? It’s a manga/anime series on Netflix based around Capcom games, mainly Street Fighter tournaments.

I haven't. I have been keeping an eye on the Street Fighter League on Youtube. EVO isn't far away either.

• Awards Moderator

As promised, some charts!

First, the top ten. MGS was a clear winner. It took until about 30 entries for it to take the lead.top-ten.PNG.4b607b8bf8e7f29ee03c8e1b298a29ad.PNG

(Note: for ties it came down to amount of first place votes and how many votes it got). GTA V and VC both as popular as each other!

And how popular are series?

image.thumb.png.42cf723b299be8d852404ddf6338e142.png

GTA crushes the competition. The chart doesn't reflect the top 50 at all, as votes for series like Civ and Street Fighter get diluted. Speaking of Street Fighter...

image.png.aee200c3a30b203c2801568b9cf5ebcf.png

Like Dobie Gray sung, the original's still the greatest.

And now we've had three games charts, what was the journey of the top ten like?

progress.png.b065dbe0fb66cbe004755ca581f88efa.png

(Ignore negative numbers. I fudged that to make the chart work)

GoldenEye is the rubber game, bouncing along. Fallout 3 is the comeback kid. Vice City, Mr Consistent.

And that's your lot! Enjoy, nerds.

Edited by Onyx2

• Paid Members

The original isn't the best though. Street Fighter is dreadful. The remake in MUGEN is interesting though. 

• Paid Members
On 7/11/2019 at 3:25 PM, Snugglecakes said:

I was tempted to vote for Speedball 2. I'm playing it on a Megadrive emulator at the moment, and it's just as fun as I remember it was.

Always really loved the name Brutal Deluxe. Inevitably, there's a metal band that use it. Should be a wrestling tag team with it though. 

On 7/8/2019 at 10:06 AM, Onyx2 said:

CM was just outside the 50, and suffered from being a long-running popular series. 

You were the sole voter for Freespace. Descent was a series out of time. If it had been released three years different either way it could've been huge. The multiplayer was too weak in the original to catch fire in a post-Quake time. And the marketing made it sound like Elite when it really wasn't. File under hidden gem. 

I very nearly voted for Forsaken, which was the spiritual successor to Descent that was released on PSOne.

The single player wasn't up to much, but the split screen multiplayer was absolutely sublime - one of the best balanced multiplayer experiences I've ever had.  Really cool 3 dimensional arenas, great weapons, great strategy.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Forsaken_(video_game)

Thanks again dude for the effort in this thread even though clearly I'm disgusted by the results  😛  Actually, seeing MGS in there was cool as I completely forgot to vote for that.

It'd be interesting to rework the results and take out any games that are part of a series... what one-off releases did the best?

• Awards Moderator
3 hours ago, Loki said:

It'd be interesting to rework the results and take out any games that are part of a series... what one-off releases did the best?

So I had a look at this. The big problem in games is that true one-offs are extremely rare. You've already built all the assets, just respin them, polish them up and you have a sequel. Or purchase the rights for a dollar and whack out another title. 

So I present this list of top 10 here only (quickly dissolves into single-vote titles), with some flaws but just as a curio. Even then you might say "well, GoldenEye is connected to Perfect Dark" or whatever. And World of Warcraft is like a never-ending series... it's really difficult to be cut and dried. It's also clear one-off games are not the business model any more. The most recent game was Heavy Rain which was just outside the top 10.

GoldenEye
The Warriors
Overwatch
Okami
Company of Heroes
Bubble Bobble
World of Warcraft
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (Arcade) 
Super International Cricket
Kid Chameleon 

• Paid Members
8 minutes ago, Onyx2 said:

So I had a look at this. The big problem in games is that true one-offs are extremely rare. You've already built all the assets, just respin them, polish them up and you have a sequel. Or purchase the rights for a dollar and whack out another title. 

So I present this list of top 10 here only (quickly dissolves into single-vote titles), with some flaws but just as a curio. Even then you might say "well, GoldenEye is connected to Perfect Dark" or whatever. And World of Warcraft is like a never-ending series... it's really difficult to be cut and dried. It's also clear one-off games are not the business model any more. The most recent game was Heavy Rain which was just outside the top 10.

GoldenEye
The Warriors
Overwatch
Okami
Company of Heroes
Bubble Bobble
World of Warcraft
Kid Chameleon 

Some really hidden gems there. Super International Cricket is my go-to cricket game. 

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Onyx2 said:

GoldenEye
The Warriors
Overwatch
Okami
Company of Heroes
Bubble Bobble
World of Warcraft
Kid Chameleon 

As this is going to be part of the mini Mega Drive, I can’t help but think its popularity will rise. A truly class game I hope you all get to play.