Great pubs

Chris B

Going to bring up my local as a fantastic pub The Three Tuns in Bransgore, it does do food which is fantastic but outside of Sunday lunch those eating are mostly in the restaurant area. Has a lounge bar and snug bar (a posh public bar). Well kept beer, even has it's own bitter which is beautiful. In the summer they run events in the barn outside such as gigs and beer festivals. Dogs allowed, no massive TV's they don't play music sadly but it's always busy enough to give it atmosphere. They're always welcoming when I come back for a visit and I even got a card through for my wedding on the other side of the world.

the-three-tuns-inn.jpg

Edited by simonworden

On my ex’s street near salford there was a pub called the Vulcan which was proper old school. No food for sale, though they’d show footie and the like and had the obligatory rubbish dj in the weekends.  Great range of clientele from 18 to 80, always ended up chatting to someone new. They also did free pub quizzes which included butties, pies, sausage rolls at half time.

The landlord and his wife lived upstairs so almost every weekend turned into a lock in situation, and they’d release their huge but very friendly dobermans to come and say hello. Oh and plop an unsolicited, but incredibly welcome oven pizza on everyone’s table!

Marvelous. Pity the ex got custody after the breakup.

• Paid Members

Went to The Hare in Bethnal Green for the first time on Saturday. 

Here are some TripAdvisor reviews;

This must be the most feared public house in London if not the whole country. Apart from being stuck in the 1970s with its patterned orange carpets and fake flock wallpaper, the landlady was a reincarnation of Peggy Mitchell, with the exception of being the rudest most aggressive person I have ever come across, she strutted around shouting at anyone who wasn't drinking and threatened those who dared to sit with an empty glass with instant expulsion. A young couple who sat in our group were pounced upon and their pleas of we are tee total fell on deaf ears (or more aptly those of a bat)Her husband was just as unfriendly, skulking amongst the tables like Golum eyeing those who dared Defy his mistress, at one point he deliberately sat on my daughters bag as if a dog making his territory. We a, group of almost 20 hastened our retreat and headed back to the safe and comfort of Chelsea. The Landlady from hell can now shout to her hearts content to a vacant audience. I can only assume she and her partner are struggle to keep the business going, their sales techniques are those similar to the Krays twins so I await the sign 'under new Management' with baited breathe, though the likely hood of myself,my family or friends ever frequenting the area let alone said establishment ever again in our life time would be as rare as a pig flying.

Never have I ever been spoken to in such a rude manner by staff. Would recommend staff take a trip over to west London or just down the road to The Hive coffee bar to learn CUSTOMER SERVICE and POLITE MANNERS. The outspoken, rude woman on the bar (who I assume is part-owner?) proceeded to shout at customers who perhaps just ordered water with two glasses to share or didn't order anything when accompanying friends who had bought more than enough alcohol. We were made to feel very unwelcome and felt like school children being told off the their teacher. Etiquette classes need to be taken by certain staff! 

It was fucking great. Small place, good beer, old fellas falling asleep over their pints. There was a jazz band playing who hated people talking during their set. The landlady came over and said they've asked if we could keep it down, in her words, "because they're arseholes".

• Paid Members

Y Glôb in Bangor has always been a personal favourite.

the-globe-inn.jpg

About as old school as you can get but its a pleasant change considering how trendy most pubs are trying to be. Usually has its fair share of live bands but nothing flashy.

Also, being in a student city, it has a reputation as a Welsh nationalist hideout where you'll hear more Welsh than English spoken, so the students mostly stay away. Win win really.